Wild Style - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wild Style Reviews

July 20, 2016
A docudrama about the early NY hip hop scene where folks essentially play themselves in a loose narrative about a graffiti artist reaching for success in his field. The acting is strictly amateur level, but the real draw here is some amazing musical performances by a bunch of seminal artists. If you're into any aspect of this culture, soaking up the extremely authentic street level ambiance is entertaining enough to carry you through a bit of patchy acting.
½ December 28, 2014
Watched w/ C. Can see how it gave distribution of hip hop culture to a wider audience. Some generally fun scenes and great style. Good vibes throughout, but poor acting and narrative.
½ August 27, 2014
It's a fascinating time capsule, worth examining for anyone interested in the cultural roots of hip hop.
October 16, 2013
A hip hop classic joint! This movie is great and has a classic story for back in the day. I highly recommend anyone into rap and hip hop check out this classic joint. It's about romance, the hip hop culture, & the love of rap music with an extremely positive vibe. This classic still stands the test of time. =)
October 3, 2013
Pivotal film to knowing what real true Hip Hop is about before it broke into the mainstream and was used to misguide today's youth from being smart independent thinkers.
½ September 30, 2013
Great music, okay acting, fantastic feel for a time and place in underground (but also BIG) American culture. As an old-school hip hop fan this has some really dope shit.
June 23, 2013
A great snapshot into an era of which we only see echoes nowadays.
½ March 5, 2013
worth it to soak in NYCs dirty past
September 1, 2012
Poorly made and terribly paced, so that 1 hr 20 feels like 3 hours, but the filmmaking is not the point. It's a fascinating snapshot of cultural history, an explosion of counter-culture from a New York so derelict it looks like a dystopian fiction.
April 6, 2012
Some very fruity acting but is an essential watch for any Hip Hop heads out there!
½ December 12, 2011
The classic of Hip Hop films. This is just too cool. Watch this.
December 7, 2011
WOW WOW WOW. How is this the best movie I've ever seen?!
October 17, 2011
Yeah, I'm sure it's got some great historical importance and all, but I just can't dig it. But if you do, that's cool.
½ June 23, 2011
Important piece of documentations!
½ April 12, 2011
I get that this was the start of hip hop films, but man was it awful. I'll be honest, I left after 30 minutes to go do homework because I didn't think this was worth my time. It starts out with some guy using a rope to get down a wall and the wall has graffiti on it which says "GRAFFITI". Thanks for that, now I know what it is. Some parts seem like they are trying to get the audience interested in simply the music and graffiti scene, others seem like they are trying to force a story into it with the worst actors in the world. There really is nothing to take away from Wild Style except what not to do, such as say "man" a thousand times.
February 3, 2011
one of the first films to highlight rap and street culture,not a strong story nor acted well,but a documentery feel to it...............
January 4, 2011
Ok so the story, as it were, is not very good and the dialogue wasn't thought about very much, but the music, breaking and to a lesser extent the art is amazing. Actually seeing how desolate the bronx was back then gives grafitti more meaning and seeing how some artists took it beyond tagging is also good. Well worth a watch if you like old school hip hop
December 23, 2010
even like a bit of hip hop... you will adore this.

terribly acting, a misplaced cast, no real plot, 80's rotted hip-hop... makes for a great watch (even without the comedy angle).
½ November 4, 2010
A must see for true fans of old school hip-hop.
July 8, 2010
Pretty super awesome film. The first hip-hop motion picture actually. Oldschool hip-hop, breakdancing and grafitti artists are the focus. It's a good time!