Xanadu - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Xanadu Reviews

February 11, 2017
This is wonderful film that I enjoyed immensely when it first came out, and still do. The juxtaposition of 40's and 80's music was an interesting twist, with Gene Kelly adding a touch of class to the project. This film's critics are missing one essential point: IT'S A MUSICAL. And so, much like "Oliver!", "My Fair Lady", or "Phantom of the Opera", there is a thin plot that mostly serves as an excuse to string a series of musical numbers together. I loved the musical numbers, and that's all that really matters for this kind of movie.
January 13, 2017
A visually stunning movie with great music and great dance numbers.
½ January 7, 2017
A competently directed and shot piece of musical gobbledygook, but gobbledygook nonetheless.
September 21, 2016
Well, I won't say it's the worst musical movie out there, (The Apple takes this honor by far), but still this is just one bizarre little number. Devoid of hardly any plot, The movie is about a painer following his dreams, an older musician following his dreams, and apparently they combine together to create the most garish roller disco (complete with trapeze artists) ever made. The music is not much, all the actors pretty much all shame themselves here, (Especially uou Gene Kelly... I'm shocked! and just sort of glides in by. Pretty goofy.
Rewatch notes: oh man, this was such a chore to watch again. Just so bloody bad and pointless
June 12, 2016
I saw this movie when I was 8 and I still love it.
May 2, 2016
Una confusa obra de presentar el arte, varias escenas son extrañas y varias situaciones salen de la nada, al igual las actuaciones se sienten acartonadas y eso se ve en los dos protagonistas.
Y tendría algo que se le rescata es su cursi pero disfrutable banda sonora, al igual Gene Kelly saca un poco de su chispa para el film.
April 22, 2016
It does have some charm but not enough to save it.
½ April 2, 2016
ONJ, Gene Kelly, fun music from ELO, and my favorite scene transition effects this side of Star Wars......it's about time for Xana2!
March 14, 2016
Equal parts batshit crazy and heartfelt
February 21, 2016
It's a fun movie. I don't take movies too seriously so I feel like I enjoy them more then most people. The actor's are likable. The music is great. Always will be a favorite.
January 8, 2016
wth did I just watch lol
December 9, 2015
This horribly dated 1980 fantasy is such a trashy mess with no structure that it doesn't surprise me that the script was written during filming, and even if it has some (few) nice songs, it is shocking how they threw so much money into something that looks so tacky and cheap.
September 20, 2015
Okay, it won't win any awards, but it's fun and it has a good soundtrack. That Dancin' sound is seriously stuck in my head. Why is this soundtrack not on iTunes??
The guy is seriously miscast as a romantic lead, though. They really should have had a rethink on that one. Maybe that's some of the failure with this.
½ September 16, 2015
Hearing about how this movie went from flop to cult classic plus the suddenly clip i saw on YouTube and being an ONJ fan just made me want to see this so badly. A friend of mine's mom bought it for me and I watched it. Upon seeing the film I thought I wasn't going to like it but...I did. I love the movie Xanadu. Despite a little weirdness in the film, its musical numbers including the "Suddenly" scene and the "Xanadu" number were so well done. Olivia Newton-John and Gene Kelly did so well in their dancing on the "Whenever You're Away from Me" scene plus the scene where the 40's meets the 80's in the part where The Tubes comes in singing it had such rhythmic beat that one can't help but dance. The best part was the "Suddenly" number and the "Don't Walk Away" number where its in animation. The movie Xanadu is a little weird yeah, but overall really good. Xanadu is no Grease but its a great movie nonetheless and a lot better than ONJ's other post-Grease film Two of a Kind which was terrible. Xanadu though is a little weird, but a very good movie.
August 30, 2015
ONJ & Gene Kelly on roller skates.
½ August 28, 2015
I know it's bad but I actually really enjoy it
August 12, 2015
I watch this every year on it's premiere anniversary, which Flixter has wrong. It's not 7/20, its 8/8 in the USA.
½ July 28, 2015
Another @HDTGM classic!

Wow. Wow. Wow. Hard to believe this was a) an actual Hollywood film and b) Gene Kelly's last major screen role. It's paced like a made for TV movie but has the "out there" qualities of a acid trip. Just weird all around but in a good/bad way.
May 27, 2015
This movie is complete cheese and camp, and it is glorious. The soundtrack is awesome. I love to watch the awesomeness that is this B movie.