Battlestar Galactica: Season 4 Reviews

• Aug 17, 2019

Best thing I have seen on television in my lifetime. I'm 48. The last 2 minutes of the last episode explains what was going on the whole time. You'll have to go back and rewatch it all again in that context.

• Jul 29, 2019

A believable look into the fate of a society dependent on technology. Perfect mix of action and drama. Cannot rate this underrated series, or this season, high enough.

• Jan 14, 2019

Season 4 is where the Battlestar Galactica reboot series started to go down in quality in the writing a bit imo. It is still good, but has some problems that earlier seasons did not. It starts being a lot more religious with some unexplainable miracles happening, people who are dead or never existed appearing like angels to save people, visions by people guiding them towards their new home etc.. It starts getting away from the strictly logical sci fi show it was in prior seasons and more into religious fantasy, which I am not sure if I like so much. That being said the original show in the 70s was pretty religious so it is in spirit with the original version of the show. The Cylons and Baltar also undergo more character development. The one thing that really bugged me about this season the most is that the song "The Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix was playing throughout the season. I mean talk about breaking the 4th wall, this is a sci fi show about a race coming from far away across the galaxy that has never been to Earth and somehow they are hearing song repeatedly written by Jimi Hendrix on Earth in the 60's? I found that to be pretty dumb. So this season, although enjoyable, has gotten less than a 5 star rating from me because it was a little bit corny compared to the previous 3 great seasons.

• Sep 04, 2018

A really exciting and thoughtful sci-fi with very nice actors and a really cool plot. I feel bad about the budget CGI effects this series would have deserved more than this.

• Aug 11, 2018

Things get round up nicely, and there's a bit of mysticism thrown into the mix!

Things get round up nicely, and there's a bit of mysticism thrown into the mix!

• Jun 02, 2018

Guess their "plan" was telling everyone they have a plan. haha. Ending straight out of Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy. They really were the B Ark after all. :D

• Mar 05, 2017

After two seasons of slowly developing its character-based drama, "Battlestar Galactica" come on strong in Season 3 with more intensity. The same can be said for this first half of Season 4, as literally every single episode crackles with dramatic development, action, and even philosophy. I won't give away any major spoilers here, but this season begins with the aftermath of the Gaius Baltar (James Callis) trial and the miraculous "return" of Kara "Starbuck" Thrace (Katee Sackhoff). From there, it also deals with the revelation of four of the final five Cylons (and how they deal with that knowledge), as well as a potential human/cylon alliance in order to find Earth. There is so much going on this season both plot-wise & character-wise that I could write for paragraphs and still not cover it all! This set also ends with a cliffhanger that you will NEVER see coming (even if you know it is indeed coming). Again, mirroring what I liked about the third season of this show, the beginning of this effort is just as much about the Cylons as it is about the humans. To me, the human/Cylon relationship has always been the backbone of this show, and this season gets off to a great start by exploring that relationship in even greater depth. Of course, as per usual, the acting and character drama is also incredible. Each member of the large ensemble cast is given a juicy role (no one is left out), while the show even proves it can survive for a few episodes without a strong Admiral Adama (Edward James Olmos) presence. We're talking LOST-like character progression (the highest compliment I can give a TV show). Overall, this beginning half of Season 4 continues the strong BSG tradition of crafting intense, character-driven drama that truly makes you care about the participants. You might as well have 4.5 ready, because you won't want to wait to see what happens next! Sometimes, the term "science fiction" gets a bad rap, being lumped in with other descriptive phrases like "nerd", "junkie", or "social outcast". If you mention you're a fan of "Star Wars", "Star Trek", or any similar sci-fi fare, and many people will automatically brand you as "that kind of person". Those people making those types of judgements will likely never give a show like Battlestar Galactica a chance, and that is a shame, because it is truly one of the greatest shows ever produced for television (with an epic conclusion among the greatest of its kind as well). I don't want to give away any spoilers about the episodes in this set, but suffice it to say that every single one is an incredible tribute to BSG's storytelling. Not a moment of plot development or character development is wasted...it's pure human drama that builds with each episode and concludes with a touching send-off to the characters we have all come to love. In terms of shows beginning the winding-down process, BSG 4.5 far outpaces the final episodes of my three other favorite TV efforts: LOST (too many unanswered questions), 24 (no true ending at all), and The X-Files (too drawn-out to provide true closure). Though there are potentially a few little things (as always) that can be nitpicked, this show comes about as close to perfection as possible in terms of wrapping up such an epic tale. To conclude, I would categorize Battlestar Galactica as a drama, first and foremost, that just happens to be set in space. It is much closer to LOST or 24 than any sort of Star Trek fare. In fact, and I say this as a long-time Trekkie, my interest in watching "Deep Space Nine" (the one Trek series I haven't seen and was going to begin before stumbling across BSG) is almost completely "zero" after concluding this journey. BSG (especially in its conclusion here) just set the bar too high.

• Jan 09, 2014

Starbuck returns. The hunt for the Final Five escalates.

Starbuck returns. The hunt for the Final Five escalates.