His Dark Materials: Season 1 Reviews

• Feb 16, 2020

This is a marvelous series for those who love fantastic adventures. Spectacular cast. Wonderful performances. Dafne Keen was a revelation in LOGAN and, now, she has matured into a multi-dimensional actor. Ruth Wilson is brilliant, as always. An intriguing premise and storytelling. Convincing special effects. I give this series a 10 (wonderful) out of 10. This has already been renewed and my hope is that they take on the whole series of books. {Fantasy Adventure}

• Feb 16, 2020

With splendid visuals, great direction of episodes by Tom Hooper, Dawn Shadforth, Otto Bathurst, Euros Lyn and Jamie Childs, an exceptional script by Jack Thorne, charismatic and engaging characters and exceptional performances by Dafne Keen, Ruth Wilson, Anne-Marie Duff, James Cosmo, Ariyon Bakare, Lucian Msamati, Lewin Lloyd, James McAvoy, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ruta Gedmintas and Amir Wilson, the first season of His Dark Materials shows the enormous potential that the series can have in the future, at the same time that manages to be one of the best series of 2019

• Feb 13, 2020

The only reason I'm not giving this series all 5 stars is because of a few "slower" episodes in the beginning with long dialogues where the director could have used "flashback shots" or other techniques to make it more appealing. Everything else was better than I expected. The "daemon" creatures is done exceptionally good and for the next season my only wish is to see more of them in scenes.

• Feb 11, 2020

About two episodes longer than it should have been. Not very compelling, and kind of ugly. Accurate to the books though. Polar bear battle was a huge disappointment.

• Feb 09, 2020

Good long form TV adaptation, excellent casting and acting, and outstanding score by composer Lorne Balfe. Just needs more daemons!

• Feb 08, 2020

I was disappointed. It lacked the spirit and magic of Phillip Pullman's books. The acting was great but it didn't make me believe.

• Feb 06, 2020

For those who read the books , it has many mistakes . And you are supposed to have a daemon a person ? Why do they keep forgetting that !!!!

• Jan 31, 2020

It's good, and it's great to see again that novel on tv

It's good, and it's great to see again that novel on tv

• Jan 29, 2020

A series that has evolved a lot with each episode, has an "energy" and a good feeling, as if it were part of you, following Lyra's plot, characters that were very well developed, there are some mistakes, but nothing too much, yet , a well-crafted and incredible story!

• Jan 26, 2020

What a relief this series is. The movie was a severe set back but this series comes back at full force. Every episode feels like a movie. It flows well from scene to scene to episode to episode. I love the cast, the script, and that Phillip Pullman is an Executive Producer. The series follows the books very well and I love how the Subtle Knife is interwoven in the story of the Golden Compass. Absolutely well done. Daphne Keene is epic in her role. All of the cast was magnificent.