Mildred Pierce: Season 1 Reviews

• Mar 20, 2021

It was a good story. I found Mildred & her daughter were not authentic characters. Mildred was too kind & soft, hardly like Joan Crawford in the original movie made in 1945. Veda was not convincing & was over acting. It's very difficult to remake early Hollywood movies.

• Nov 27, 2020

A warming 1930 vibe. letting us through the Great Depression atmosphere. The story of family and sacrifice. Evan Rachel Wood perfectly played her role of a spoiled child, so good until you despise her character. An all out drama with an emotional ending | follow us at @uncle.review

• Jul 18, 2017

Kate Winslet delivers a powerhouse performance (when doesn't she?) in Todd Haynes's faithful and relatively restrained adaptation of James M Cain's novel.

• Dec 24, 2014

PERFECTION. Truly perfection. You fall into the movie and are held there, you become the characters - so perfectly played. Kate Winslet (Mildred Pierce) and Guy Pearce ( Monte Beragon) don't seem to be acting - they are the characters you are there with them. Didn't expect to like this series, but I liked the original movie so I tried it. Stunning, breath-taking, hurts at times, evokes tears, hope, fear, every sense is fully engaged. This version of Mildred Pierce leaves the original movie in the dust. Left me wanting to read the book, thinking about it long after watching it, needing to re-watch it over and over, it haunts me, forces one to look life from a different lense. I believe, the hallmark of greatest movies ever made. As a single mother with two girls, the movie hit home especially hard. But I think everyone, definitely mothers, would feel the same about this movie. This movie has been added to my all time favorites along with: CItizen Kane, Forrest Gump, Vertigo, Gone with the WInd, All about Eve, Shawshank Redemption, Tombstone,12 Angry Men and to Kill a Mockingbird. The dialog is stunningly written with profound subtly, the magnificent sets, the depth and complexity of all the characters - it couldn't have been better. I wished it was longer! Left me needing to go back and look for hints / foreshadowing - so subtle you crave it - the bluebird reference for example. A true masterpiece by all involved in making this movie. Kate Winslet and Guy Pearce draw you in - and keep you there, holding you hostage. A long and gushing (unedited) review. But Mildred Pierce is a rare find, one I almost missed, it is THAT GOOD.

• Sep 02, 2014

Kate Winslet delivers an extraordinary performance, and leads a wonderful cast (Guy Pearce, Evan Rachel Wood and Melissa Leo are very good). Haynes' direction and screenplay are skillful, as noteworthy are production values (especially art direction, cinematography, score, costumes, makeup and hairstyling). A HBO remarkable, unfortunately underrated miniseries.