The Chair: Season 1 Reviews

• 4d ago

It did leave me wanting more, but in its short season provided a wonderful peek under the hood of academia. Well acted, well written.

• Oct 05, 2021

I love Sandra Oh, but this show is really boring. And whoever put Sandra's hair like that needs to be fired immediately!!!

• Sep 25, 2021

A plodding plot that doesn't say a whole lot. Needs to be denser and tenser, much less dot dot dot.

• Sep 25, 2021

Thank goodness Sandra Oh is leaving Killing Eve to killing it! Great show.

Thank goodness Sandra Oh is leaving Killing Eve to killing it! Great show.

• Sep 23, 2021

I enjoyed everything about the show except the foul language. As a university professor, I think the vulgar language is completely unrealistic. I don't talk like that in my English department and neither do any of my colleagues. I suppose it's intended to make the characters more "relatable" and "edgy"? Less like the boring, normal people we really are? In reality, the use of foul language in the show degrades the characters, and ultimately creates stereotypes for academics that are undermining to education at large. In the real current crisis English departments face across the country, the last thing we need is poor press. Let English professors do what they know how to do: use language in the best way possible.

• Sep 22, 2021

This is otherwise a very biased rating since I love Sandra Oh but if this gets a season 2 I'm hoping for to see far less Bill.

• Sep 20, 2021

This seems to have been written by a former English major who still has issues with why his master's thesis wasn't given awards. It stinks. Oh's character seems to be overwhelmed by a hangnail, much less by the combination of personal and career strife she encounters. The male prof who is fired gets no sympathy from me. He's an entitled man-baby who expects to be let off for anything he does. The Korean immigrant jokes are mean, the sniveling college admin is as spineless as any "Office" episode would lead you to expect. Overall, this thing needs an attitude adjustment if it is going to come back. Somebody has to be likeable!

• Sep 20, 2021

Good show. Wouldn't want to be a teacher or a student these days. Oof. We are doomed.

• Sep 17, 2021

The cast is truly superb, not only Sandra Oh but the older professor staff and especially Holland Taylor. Which is why it is so sad that the very real issue of woman and poc being underrepresented in academia and leading positions, which the series was set up to deal with, gets literally buried under all kinds of other unnecessary drama. The disturbed adopted kid, the alcoholic former chair with a dead wife, a leaving kid, a crush on his colleague and successor who also seams to be the only one getting through to the disturbed kid. None of this was needed. Jay Duplasses character as a love interest, babysitter, troublemaker is so overloaded and draws so much attention, that Sandra Ohs character is pushed out of focus. Also the students are way to cliché, no kids in their twenties would gang up on their Prof in such a sophisticated way and articulate their perfectly unison pc view.

• Sep 13, 2021

I didn't expect it to be so interesting. It's easy to watch, plot is very topical. Cast is oppropriate. The only minus for me was Sandra Oh, because this role was player by her exactly like in Killing Eve, everything in her look and behavior was the same and it disappointed me.