Deep Water - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Deep Water Reviews

July 28, 2017
My favourite documentary and one of my all-time favourite films. Story is incredible and told brilliantly, and now I can't wait for The Mercy.
½ December 27, 2016
'Deep Water' tells the tale of an around the world boat race and in particular the curious journey of Donald Crowhurst. This documentary has an edge and the ability to keep you captivated. I had no idea how this story unfolded back in 1968 and I can't imagine many do. The footage that was taken is spellbinding considering the task that was at hand. The gripping tale had a feature film feel. This is one that should stay with you for a while. Final Score 8.9/10
June 9, 2016
An informative piece of art written so emotionally and intensely, you care for the characters and want everything to turn out good even though you know it's dark from the start. It manages to balance mixed emotions about Crohurst and could possibly tear a classroom of sixth graders apart.
½ November 21, 2015
A touching tale of a man who staked his entire being on a forever unreachable level of success.
May 18, 2015
Deep Water is a great documentary film about a guy who followed is heart for his dream, but had trouble with what's coming to him. When it gives you the details about Donald Crowhurst, you can tell that he'll do anything to get himself prepared. The movie use Donald's family as their interviewers who are interesting, and it's a good idea to have the competitors as the interviewer too as they know about what's it like in the race. When Donald gets to his crypted messages, you just wanted to know what it is, like the movie that also wanted to know. It's not reality as investing as I thought was going to be and I think it kind of dragged on a bit. Deep Water is an interesting documentary that knows how loneliness is.
½ January 2, 2015
Fascinating, aggravating, and sad at the same time.
December 11, 2014
Great movie. Dark and haunting.
½ August 10, 2014
This documentary tells a rather interesting story about those first people who sailed non-stop around the world. A must-watch.
August 2, 2014
Wow stumbled across this on Netflix and it turned out to be an amazingly riveting true story. 9 men set out in a race to sail around the world, each must do so alone without stopping or recieving any help. That however is just the setup, where the story goes from there is full of all sorts of intrigue and by the end I was at the edge of my seat. Bravo.
½ April 28, 2014
Incredible story, stranger than fiction
November 2, 2013
Poignant & affecting.
August 30, 2013
One of the best documentaries I've ever seen.
August 5, 2013
This is #10 on my personal 10 Sports Documentaries You Should See Before You Die.

The story of the first solo, non-stop, round-the-world boat race, and the psychological toll it took on its competitors. This film goes beyond the event and gets into the mind of the ship captain who is dealing with his own demons and the nightmare of being at sea for almost a year. Deep Water is an unforgettable journey into one man's heart of darkness. This film was produced by the same producer as Touching the Void, which is number 6 on my top 10 sports doc list.
May 8, 2013
The stunning story of a man who fought with himself to death while circumnavigating the globe solo. And lost.
March 27, 2013
Equally tragic and nice.
November 6, 2012
interesting historical doc
September 26, 2012
This is a true story about the first boat race around the world in the 60's. It tells the story about one of those men. It is an interesting story.
July 26, 2012
Great but very sad story.
July 11, 2012
Best Documentary 2006
June 24, 2012
pretty good documentary. crazy story. i feel like anybody could enjoy it whether you are interested in sailing or not. its very interesting to see how being alone on the ocean can affect people.