Deep Water Reviews

• Jul 11, 2018

The perfect accompaniment to James Marsh's film 'The Mercy'. Watch 'The Mercy' first. To complete the experience I recommend you also read 'The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst', by Nicholas Tomalin.

• Jul 01, 2018

It's an amazing documentary about the life of Bernard Crowhurst, namely his attempt to sail around the world in a race. It has extremely high production value and the mixture of old footage, newer interviews and someone reading aloud his journal entries from race time. Attempting to sail around takes big b*lls, and hence I think he must be respected for that. This is such a good intriguing watch that's entertaining from beginning to end.

• Jul 28, 2017

My favourite documentary and one of my all-time favourite films. Story is incredible and told brilliantly, and now I can't wait for The Mercy.

• Dec 27, 2016

'Deep Water' tells the tale of an around the world boat race and in particular the curious journey of Donald Crowhurst. This documentary has an edge and the ability to keep you captivated. I had no idea how this story unfolded back in 1968 and I can't imagine many do. The footage that was taken is spellbinding considering the task that was at hand. The gripping tale had a feature film feel. This is one that should stay with you for a while. Final Score 8.9/10

• Jun 09, 2016

An informative piece of art written so emotionally and intensely, you care for the characters and want everything to turn out good even though you know it's dark from the start. It manages to balance mixed emotions about Crohurst and could possibly tear a classroom of sixth graders apart.

• Nov 21, 2015

A touching tale of a man who staked his entire being on a forever unreachable level of success.

• May 18, 2015

Deep Water is a great documentary film about a guy who followed is heart for his dream, but had trouble with what's coming to him. When it gives you the details about Donald Crowhurst, you can tell that he'll do anything to get himself prepared. The movie use Donald's family as their interviewers who are interesting, and it's a good idea to have the competitors as the interviewer too as they know about what's it like in the race. When Donald gets to his crypted messages, you just wanted to know what it is, like the movie that also wanted to know. It's not reality as investing as I thought was going to be and I think it kind of dragged on a bit. Deep Water is an interesting documentary that knows how loneliness is.

• Jan 02, 2015

Fascinating, aggravating, and sad at the same time.

Fascinating, aggravating, and sad at the same time.

• Dec 11, 2014

Great movie. Dark and haunting.

Great movie. Dark and haunting.

• Aug 10, 2014

This documentary tells a rather interesting story about those first people who sailed non-stop around the world. A must-watch.