Bye Bye Birdie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bye Bye Birdie Reviews

December 7, 2016
i love this movie! I haven't seen it in so long... Hope its on Netflix or amazon prime
March 30, 2016
i would give this more stars if i could
January 11, 2016
Fun musical with great songs and performances. And it's always fun to see Dick Van Dyke and Paul Lynde! I think the stage show is better, but this is still pretty great!
August 21, 2015
I've never seen this musical on stage so I don't have any basis for comparison, but I really love this movie despite all its corniness. It will never be one of my favorites, but the music is fun and I can always appreciate a Dick Van Dyke performance.
June 16, 2015
Ridiculous thus enjoyable. Dick Van Dyke was adorable.
April 10, 2015
Not a film most people would think of when my name comes up but Bye Bye Birdie holds a special place in my heart. The story is fun and campy to modern audiences can cause some real laugh out loud moments. But for me it's the music. Bye Bye Birdie is filled with tons of great little diddies (sp). Some of the songs actually fall into the so bad they're good category. Honestly Sincere and One Last Kiss most of all. In fact, everything Birdie sings (that Elvis "homage" that he is) reaks of silly. But for every bad song you get a classic like What's the Matter with Kids Today? But oddly enough my favourite song/scene of the bunch happens to be Telephone Hour which I think is hilarious, smart, and catchy all at the same time. Fans of musicals are likely already fans of this film. Those new to the genre may find the lack of dance numbers a little odd but Bye Bye Birdie isn't so much about big dance numbers as it is about the music and the commentary on infatuation with stardom.
Highly recommended if you couldn't already tell.
March 3, 2015
I'm almost ashamed I like this
February 10, 2015
Heard it was good, not that great
February 5, 2015
Elvis Presley came along like a tsunami of social change, the strings on the puppets of popular entertainment not simply apparent but worn and frayed as well. Presley was THE proverbial breath of fresh air. And the powers that be were more than nervous, they were rattled down to the roots of hair on their chinny chin chins. The move to send The Pelvis to the army was as calculated as move to defang a monster as ever there was.
What remains anymore, beyond the echoes of classic rock internet channels, is this nigh forgotten bit of Americana.
Ann Margret steals the show as the girl chosen to lay a kiss on the bull icon immediately before they remove his particulars. Fittingly, music numbers are the highlight here, but nothing dangerous enough to suggest revolution.
January 24, 2015
This movie sucked two hours off my life.
October 8, 2014
Based on the real life story of Elvis Presley being drafted into the army, a classic musical with irresistible songs and a fantastic cast. Starring Dick Van Dyke and Janet Leigh, with Jesse Pearson (as Conrad Birdie), Ann-Margret, Paul Lynde, Bobby Rydell, Ed Sullivan
and a John Daly cameo. Pure entertainment, lively, uplifting, funny. Paul Lynde's performance deserves an Oscar.
While some may erroneously say this film is dated (50 years after the movie was released, Bye Bye Birdie was the fifth most played musical in U.S. high schools), it tells a story that is as old as the hills, from the Pied Piper to Justin Bieber. The story is of the effect of the next musical sensation, whether it was Mozart, Beethoven, Sousa, Joplin, Jolson (who starred in the first movie with sound), big band jazz of Goodman and Miller, to Elvis and the Beatles, to Elton John and Michael Jackson, to Madonna and Mariah and Beyoncé, from classical to marches to ragtime to jazz to rock and roll to soul to disco to high energy and beyond.
This is a great movie about the unbounded joy and exhilaration of youth, singing and dancing and proclaiming that "I've Got A Lot Of Livin' To Do". It is a gentle spoof of the musical phenomenon of that time, of Elvis and rock and roll. Sit back and enjoy the fun, and laugh at the truly great comedy, and enjoy the music that fits the mood.
½ September 19, 2014
Well-adapted from a different play with its own storyline filled with good laughs, high school craziness and Van Dyke's same musical moves, and comparison to other released musicals of the century is that there's same greatness and grandness. (A)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
½ August 13, 2014
If you have no knowledge of the far superior stage show I guess this is okay, though it does make it into a work with no real heft, instead of the brittle satire it really is. Beside that Ann Margaret's performance hasn't held up well, besides the fact her booty is a force of nature.
½ August 12, 2014
So out-of-date it's hard to relate to anymore, but the ridiculous excess still provides many opportunities for laughter. Much of the music is unremarkable; nevertheless there are a few classic gems. For fans of Paul Lynde, he really steals the show. It's just a fun (but dated) family-friendly vege-out film.
August 11, 2014
Forgettable musical with very little decent music
½ July 27, 2014
(First and only viewing - 7/20/2010)
July 23, 2014
Ann-Margret, mmmmm. She's so beautiful in this, although of course she doesn't pass as a teenager for a second. The movie is pretty goofy, but fun for the most part. Some wacky characters, also some miscast ones as well, specifically Janet Leigh in that wig. Dick Van Dyke is just generally likable even if not a great actor. Some interesting if dated camera work. I actually liked some of the songs, something I don't tend to find with a lot of older musicals. Fun musical comedy.
March 24, 2014
This charming film will take you back to the innocents of that era.
January 27, 2014
Great entertainment!
½ January 18, 2014
This is a stupid and campy film wasting the talents of Dick van Dyke and Paul Lynde. And yeah its just to showcase Ann Margaret. Janet Leigh is not a convincing Hispanic and if she is actually Hispanic shes not convincing. I cant believe I'm saying this but the show is better. OH AND THEY BARLEY USE CONRAD BIRDIE HE'S RARELY IN IT!