The Champ - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Champ Reviews

½ September 8, 2016
John Voight stars in this remake of The Jackie Cooper classic however this attempt is not very good. Rick Schroder is his son and he helps his burnt out boxer dad make a comeback
½ August 18, 2016
Boxer makes a comeback in the ring to win back his son whom has been taken back by his mother. This drama is a remake of the classic.
½ March 19, 2016
Such a sad movie. But amazing.
½ September 26, 2015
This extremely maudlin remake may seem acceptable to those who haven't seen the original 1931 Oscar Best Picture winner by King Vidor and starring Wallace Beery and Jackie Cooper. It pales very badly by comparison; a remake that should NEVER have been made. Don't bother with this one. See the original which is much more compelling with the inherently melodramatic plot.
½ August 16, 2015
I thought the champ was fair jon voight played an alkie ,gambler ex boxer who is a horsetrainer and rick Schroder plays his son TJ there was one scene where voights character ends up using a racehorse which he got for his son but ends up later using it to pay a gambling debt I thought faye dunaway saved the movie some as voights ex wife who they bump into at a racetrack
½ October 13, 2014
The Champ is a powerful and emotionally resonant film that has heart, soul, and one of the saddest endings in film history. (God, that kid is a great actor!)
July 12, 2014
A gripping melodrama and a truly tearjerker in cinematic sport.
½ May 21, 2014
Jesus Christ, this fuckin' movie. I cried when the kid got the horse, I cried when they almost took the horse away, I cried when the kid was swimming with his mom, I cried when the kid was sad. I cried at every goddamn thing in this movie. I don't really know what to say about it... Great cast. Amazing performance from that goddamn kid.
February 6, 2014
Take the good aspect of the story - leave the trivia out !
Thus the performances of the leading characters are awesome.
September 5, 2013
please let me see this
½ August 5, 2013
It really tells something and it resonate throughout our life.
February 20, 2013
Damn you Ricky Schroder!

Grade: B
February 19, 2013
just rewatched this while i'm sick has one of the last roles 4 my favourite joan blondell.
February 3, 2013
An exceptional remake of King Vidor's 1931 piece of the same name, centred around the relationship between a washed-up has-been boxer and his well-mannered son. Superbly written by Walter Newman and directed by Franco Zeffirelli, the film engages with strong performances from the three central players. Jon Voight is excellent as our titular protagonist, Faye Dunaway is lovely as his ex-wife, and youngster Ricky Schroder, who out-shines them all, is an absolute gem, delivering a performance that is fueled with integrity. Don't miss this one.
January 16, 2013
A former boxing champion struggling with gambling and drinking problems still manages to bring up a loving kid. However, one day, his mother pops up, wanting the child back. This leads to an emotional showdown that takes The Champ back to the squared circle. Remake of a King Vidor classic, the roots of the storyline are planted in classic American cinema. But while this film is directed by a glamorous Zeffirelli, it is often too melodramatic and goes against the flow of the more updated and gritty American New wave of its time.
January 13, 2013
This film made me cry at the end when I was younger - I'm scared to watch it again as I think I'll go again - would bring tears to a glass eye
December 26, 2012
the cutest film you will ever see!
½ December 20, 2012
All I remember of this movie is Ricky Schroder crying and crying and crying and crying and crying and crying and...