Conquest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Conquest Reviews

½ July 30, 2016
Given the steadily declining budget this is at least pretty well made. Though joyless and dark it is interesting to watch despite having a half baked plot.
½ April 23, 2016
Weak Italian exploitation sword and sorcery fantasy flick. What seemed most odd about this movie is the out-of-place gore. Many of the types of films violent, particularly "Conan the Barbarian" which launched the 1980s resurgence of this genre, but most of these films featured what I'd describe as brutal violence, whereas this film, directed by Italian gorehound Lucio Fulci, failed to be brutal and seemed merely gory. That distinction may seem a fine line, but I think it comes down to the fact that the fight scenes were either poorly filmed or that possibly they weren't filmed with the focus on being exciting or suspenseful and instead made with the purpose of just showing entrails and people being sliced open, which to me seems like something a hack like Fulci would do. And unlike many many of Fulci's cult followers, I don't find his gory films all that interesting or well made. And don't get me wrong, I love the likes of Dario Argento or Lamberto Bava when it comes to Italian giallo or horror films, but outside of "The Beyond" I don't think Fulci really has any respectable films. The story here actually isn't that bad and seems more along with lines of "Clash of the Titans" than Conan, telling the tale of a young man with a magical bow and arrow going on a Odyssey-like episodic journey to kill and evil witch and fight all manner of evil creatures. I was also annoyed by the film's gauzy and smoke filled photography, which I'm sure was meant to give the film an etherial quality meant to evoke a time of gods and monsters, but the entire film ends up just looking like it was in a fog. Overall, this is another low quality Fulci genre flick.
March 3, 2016
Imagine if Lucio Fulci did a low-budgest knock-off Clash of the Titans/Conan the Barbarian movie, and it didn't make a lick of sense.
February 23, 2016
A little guy and a bigger guy take on a naked chick in a gold mask and her army of dog men in a world of permanent fog. I love this movie. I freely admit that the middle third is immensely dull and confusing, but the remaining two thirds contain enough nudity, nonsensical storytelling, surprisingly explicit gore and laser arrows to more than sustain my interest. The last 15 minutes are so deliriously batshit I just want to start the movie over from the beginning and do the whole thing over again.
½ April 27, 2015
A low-budget film, also a bit gory, but I liked it. I really enjoy Lucio Fulci's films. I thought it was suspenseful, and I enjoyed the storyline.
July 31, 2014
Lucio Fulci's sword & sandal fantasy is definitely bizarre, with surreal imagry, abundant nudity and a ton of gore. It does, however, have the pacing of a snail and runs about 20 minutes too long. Definitely worth a look for both fans of Fulci and the wackier side of fantasy adventure, but not very recommemdable to others.
August 14, 2013
awesome fantasy from fulci, plus a guy from goblin does soundtrack
August 10, 2013
Murky cinematography doesn't help this gory Lucio Fulci fever-dream.
½ November 26, 2012
So strange, so surreal, so undeniably Fulci - 1983's Conquest is all this and more. When the undeniable king of Italian horror-gore takes on the sword-and-sorcery genre, what can you expect? Much of what you may imagine: bodies being ripped in half; oozing sores; bodies burned in full special effects glory; zombie-like creatures; lazer-like arrows that come from nowhere; even a race of beings resembling Wookies (that truly woke up on the wrong side of the galaxy). For Fulci fans, this is a must. For fans of sci-fi, a curious Italian offering that really has to be seen to be believed. You won't soon forget . . . CONQUEST!
½ November 3, 2012
½ October 27, 2012
Italian sword and sorcery gorefest with lots of strange creatures where a hero vanquishes evil with a magic bow that fires laser arrows. Lucio Fulci always seems to have good ideas (New York Ripper excluded), execution a consistent problem.
½ September 2, 2012
Hardcore cheese. Like most of Fulci's films its long on ideas but short on coherence. Loved the first line of end credits which is a disclaimer that reads, "Any reference to people or events is purely coincidental".
Oh yeah cuz there's a chance of that happening.
July 14, 2012
The blood, gore and gratuitous nudity would be more amusing if the film didn't look as though it were shot through a layer of vaseline on the lens.
April 1, 2012
What can ya say, except.. Lucio Fulci.
½ August 4, 2011
Lucio Fulci tries his hand at the Swords and Sorcery genre and delivers this entertaining cheesefest.

The film is sprinkled with moments of gore as one would expect from a Fulci film but is nowhere near as good as his usual fare. If I am going to watch a Fulci movie then it would be The Beyond or Zombie Flesh Eaters etc and this would be at the bottom of the pile but, it's still a fun watch in the way that only a daft 80's movie can be.
½ September 11, 2010
½ September 11, 2010
July 6, 2010
My god, this film was. Odd. I won't say it was terrible but more or less forgettable. Not much happened in this movie that was worth talking about, or even mentioning. Oh it threw a few curveballs my way and for that I give it credit. But I can see why many called this Lucio Fulci's decent into weaker films. You could've done better Fulci, you seriously could.
½ May 12, 2010
Differnt for Fulci as this is a sword and sandal flick....but its fun. I would like to see it again as it has been very long!
May 2, 2010
I have a terrible soft spot for Italian sword-and-sorcery flicks of the 80s, and I have a soft spot for Lucio Fulci movies, so going into "Conquest" I was pretty much doomed to love it. What sets it apart from many other flicks of its ilk is its sense of style. Altogether it is dreamlike and beautiful, with a perfect electro soundtrack, a satisfying array of creatures, and enough cheese to elevate the inevitable dull bits. It hasn't received nearly enough attention. One of Fulci's best.