Gallipoli - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gallipoli Reviews

October 22, 2016
While purported to be about the tragic military engagement that backhandedly put Australian military on the world stage, buried within is a warts-and-all homage to the land Down Under that's loves home, even while admitting that there's not much to love, that warms the hardest of hearts.
October 2, 2016
great film. great research for the world war 1 set play im in...peter weird is a beyond great director (please make another master and commander sir) and Mel Gibson, well we should all shut out mouths when too drunk sometimes...he was really something as an actor however and whatever his mouth does is not going to stop me from appreciating a terrific film if he is in or directs it
fantastic cinematic telling of a heart wrenching moment in history
more recently Mr Jeremy Irons narrated and produced a doc series on the subject
not that this helps with my Brit accent but hey its a great film
October 2, 2016
I wonder how much of Mel Gibson's success as a director he owes to Peter Weir? Well, he must have had a wonderful experience working with him on this movie. Perfect depiction of the innocents of war, the young soldiers who didn't know how cruel the world - and their officers - could be. Has a better depiction of the Australian character ever been put on screen? Screenplay by David Williamson is spot-on. (He is the " long streak of pelican shit" who has to be "sorted out" while playing footy beneath the Sphinx.)
May 30, 2016
Really dumb...takes forever to get around to the actual battle of Gallipoli, and even then, doesn't really explore it too much. This film focuses too much on running rather than WWI, which was what I wanted to see. And the ending is one of the worst I've ever seen.
March 30, 2016
Anti-war film about two runners who are close friends and join in the Australian Army during WWI.
Lush, fascinating, rapturous, lyrical and still presents the war as the horribly wretched thing it is.
A worthy effort.

4 out of 5
½ February 7, 2016
A very highly rated early Mel Gibson film. An Austrialian period drama / war film. I guess I wasn't in the mood for this, I found it quite slow.
February 6, 2016
78%
Saw this on 6/2/15
It has a terrific BGM and even though there are far better anti-war films, Gallipoli is remarkable for it's natural performances and a general nostalgia it invokes about the life in the past without any trace of wars.
January 26, 2016
Heartwrenching but very thought provoking. This is a must see film.
January 10, 2016
This seems to be available at the local library.
½ December 12, 2015
Superb war drama.

It is mid-1915. War is raging in Europe and Australian forces have landed in Gallipoli, Turkey. Two friends from Western Australia join up but nothing can prepare them for the horrors that await them in Gallipoli...

An excellent study of World War 1, from Australia's point-of-view. Shows well the camaraderie of men in a fighting unit and the larrikinism of the average Australian soldier. Shows too the futility and wastefulness of war, the folly and incompetence of high command and the horrors that make war distinctly unglamourous.

Great work from Mel Gibson (in one of his earliest roles) and Mark Lee in the lead roles. Bill Hunter also appears, and puts in a solid performance, as Major Barton.
½ June 29, 2015
a truly amazing movie . a classic
June 5, 2015
Emotional and powerful.
½ May 19, 2015
Superbly produced, directed and acted Australian film. Not really dated at all - well, the only thing that might be perceived to be dated is the Aussies treatment of the locals in Egypt - this might have been chuckled at in by '80s audiences but embarrassingly cringed at these days (but I suspect the refined types who made the film intended the latter reaction from the get-go). Overall, the film is a classic, superb.

There will be issues for those who might interpret the final battle strategy as fact-rather-than-fiction, but I can understand WHY Williamson and Weir used poetic license. Despite the fact that FAR more Brits (and French, and of course Turks) died on the Gallipoli peninsula than Aussies - the film is as much about Australia developing its own identity by distinguishing itself from Mother England (in 1915 AND 1981) as it was about the battle itself. But the film didn't need to set up the clueless, snobby poms as the bad guys in that final act to have an impact. The pointlessness of the war, the tragic stupidity of the whole thing is apparent just from the visuals of the older teenagers and young men getting mowed down like cannon fodder.

As is apparent from the LONG lead up to the third act/war scenes, this film, while it might be seen through the prism of war, is really about the Australian identity as defined through mateship. The naive idealism of Archie balanced by the cocky pragmatism of Frank. But also the larrikin nature of Frank's three mates. Sensational perfs across the board, but with Gibson leaking charisma over the rest of them. The tale spans the globe, and feels epic, in a way. It is stunningly lensed, with verisimilitude dripping from every shot. I never felt once that I wasn't alongside these boys in the Australian desert, on in those Cairo fleapits, or those trenches in Turkey. Some staggering shots, and some intimate ones too. It feels epic, but it's not, not really. It basically boils down to a friendship between two very young men. And their journey to, and within, a very tragic, very sad war.
½ May 17, 2015
What a movie. And what an ending!
May 3, 2015
"What are your legs?"

"Springs. Steel springs."

"What are they gonna do?"

"They're gonna hurl me down the track."

"How fast can you run?"

"As fast as a leopard."

"How fast ARE you gonna run?"

As FAST AS A LEOPARD!"

"Then LETS SEE YOU DO IT!"

And so begins Gallipoli. A heartbreaking drama that in its first half, introduces us to its characters. And in its second half, introduces us to the horrors of war. Specifically, the doomed Battle of the Nek. The final shot is one of the most devastating ever to be captured in cinematic history.
April 9, 2015
A modern day All's Quiet.The folly of war never looked so heart wrenching.
January 29, 2015
Peter Weir's direction is always outstanding, even if the story contains a good deal of filler. Full review later.
½ December 20, 2014
Nice work from Peter Weir, supported by a very young Mel Gibson...
September 7, 2014
A brilliant and memorable war film starring an emotionally stirring Mel Gibson performance as we're progressively shown the ultimate horrific and tragedy of war.
August 22, 2014
"Weir's work has a delicacy, gentleness, even wispiness that would seem not well suited to the subject. And yet his film has an uncommon beauty, warmth, and immediacy, and a touch of the mysterious, too."
Janet Maslin, New York Times