The Magnificent Seven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Magnificent Seven Reviews

April 8, 2017
Falls off after an excellent first act. B-
½ March 17, 2017
Neat spaghetti western. I will have to see the modern remake and compare...
February 22, 2017
Didn't really think this was that great. Honestly, the remake was way better.
February 13, 2017
A classic 'must see' film'. I have seen it about 5 times over the years. Some very deep emotions, that ring true.
½ February 12, 2017
I score it a Magnificent 7/10.
February 2, 2017
What a magnificent movie.
January 31, 2017
Terrible. Just another hokey remake of an old classic. No real character development and when the fight scenes FINALLY arrive, it is the usual "good guys hit everyone and bad guys miss everyone". Unlimited ammo, unlimited bad guys. I swear, there had to be 600 bad guys shot by 600 bullets. Guys half a mile away riding horses taken out by every shot and never miss..... yup, one of those. Go re-watch Tombstone instead.
½ January 10, 2017
Having already seen similar movies, from Seven Samurai to the downright stupid Ridiculous Six, this was closer to the former without a doubt. Although not as good as Seven Samurai, it did take a different route towards the end but overall it's basically the same movie except with cowboys instead of samurai obviously. Good enough, but there's much better westerns out there than this.
January 2, 2017
I enjoyed John Sturges remake as much as Seven Samurai. It has a classic score by Elmer Bernstein that makes it such a memorable film. Plus it has Coburn, Vaughan, McQueen and Bronson. Horst Buchholz not really as much of a maverick in the Kikuchiyo role but more like Face from The A-team. Eli Wallach as ever is the balls as the villain.
½ December 27, 2016
Yes it's a Western interpretation of Seven Samurai, and it's a good one.
December 24, 2016
A westen reworking of Akira Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai" that's very entertaining.
½ December 15, 2016
After having this film on my 'To Watch' list for years I finally got around to watching it. And I wasn't disappointed. When I saw the cast I was sceptical of Yul Brynner in the lead role in a western. He didn't disappoint though. His support cast of stars also were simply wonderful in this engaging film. If you're like me and enjoy the good old classics, then I recommed it for you. If you don't, I still recommed it.
½ December 7, 2016
8.5/10. 11-16-2016

Original rating: 3-30-2013 (8/10)
½ December 7, 2016
One of the best films I've seen in a very long time
November 14, 2016
While this Western is by no means my favorite from the genre it is held together by a great cast, solid characters, a well written script and rousing score.
½ November 2, 2016
Muy buena, los personajes son interesantes, es evidente el remake de seven samurai, y honestamente prefiero está película, porque es más corta, y saben contar la historia en este tiempo, la acción es muy buena y el ambiente ideal.
October 18, 2016
Great film. Wonderful cast. And the music!!
½ October 14, 2016
A great adaptation of the original Seven Samurai template, with iconography that may well be remembered longer than the film itself.
½ October 14, 2016
The original and best of the Magnificent Seven films is a icon of the Western genre. The all-star ensemble of Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Charles Bronson and Yul Brynner was never topped. Unlike the sequels that feel like made-for-TV movies, this one takes time to introduce each gunfighter, explore his motivations, and many of the villagers. The village has a realistic, lived-in feel that incorporates actual Native American traditions and breathes life into a rather garish production. The editing is a bit splotchy (who shot Bronson at the end?), but overall, it is a memorable Western.
½ October 9, 2016
The Magnificent Seven is one of the quintessential westerns from back in the day, a remake of the Japanese film Seven Samurai, and still surprising holds up, though there are obviously some dated elements that kept me from LOVING it. The film stars all the big names from the time like Steve McQueen, Yul Brynner, Robert Vaughn, Charles Bronson, and James Coburn as some of the outlaws and Eli Wallach as the main villain, so it was obviously a big deal upon initial release. The story follows a small, Mexican town being extorted by a gangster for all it's worth, which leads the townspeople to recruit a small group of gunslingers to help them fight back. Think, A Bug's Life with much more death and mayhem. The acting is definitely the strong-point of this film, with great chemistry between the main stars, even though Brynner and McQueen famously did not get along! It's directed by John Sturges, who infuses some surprising levity throughout the film and the tone is far more upbeat and whimsical then I would have imagined. Where the film falters a bit is the incredibly lame gun fights, where if any of the main characters die, they seem to forget how to shoot for a moment, are apparently struck down by God himself, and then have an over-the-top and cheesy death moment. The cast is very likable, the story is a classic, and it's definitely a western in every sense of the word, but to me, I respect its place in film history, but I wouldn't revisit it when there's a much better remake available.