The Magnificent Seven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Magnificent Seven Reviews

November 28, 2016
Yes it's a Western interpretation of Seven Samurai, and it's a darn good one.
November 14, 2016
While this Western is by no means my favorite from the genre it is held together by a great cast, solid characters, a well written script and rousing score.
½ November 2, 2016
Muy buena, los personajes son interesantes, es evidente el remake de seven samurai, y honestamente prefiero está película, porque es más corta, y saben contar la historia en este tiempo, la acción es muy buena y el ambiente ideal.
October 18, 2016
Great film. Wonderful cast. And the music!!
½ October 14, 2016
A great adaptation of the original Seven Samurai template, with iconography that may well be remembered longer than the film itself.
½ October 14, 2016
The original and best of the Magnificent Seven films is a icon of the Western genre. The all-star ensemble of Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Charles Bronson and Yul Brynner was never topped. Unlike the sequels that feel like made-for-TV movies, this one takes time to introduce each gunfighter, explore his motivations, and many of the villagers. The village has a realistic, lived-in feel that incorporates actual Native American traditions and breathes life into a rather garish production. The editing is a bit splotchy (who shot Bronson at the end?), but overall, it is a memorable Western.
½ October 9, 2016
The Magnificent Seven is one of the quintessential westerns from back in the day, a remake of the Japanese film Seven Samurai, and still surprising holds up, though there are obviously some dated elements that kept me from LOVING it. The film stars all the big names from the time like Steve McQueen, Yul Brynner, Robert Vaughn, Charles Bronson, and James Coburn as some of the outlaws and Eli Wallach as the main villain, so it was obviously a big deal upon initial release. The story follows a small, Mexican town being extorted by a gangster for all it's worth, which leads the townspeople to recruit a small group of gunslingers to help them fight back. Think, A Bug's Life with much more death and mayhem. The acting is definitely the strong-point of this film, with great chemistry between the main stars, even though Brynner and McQueen famously did not get along! It's directed by John Sturges, who infuses some surprising levity throughout the film and the tone is far more upbeat and whimsical then I would have imagined. Where the film falters a bit is the incredibly lame gun fights, where if any of the main characters die, they seem to forget how to shoot for a moment, are apparently struck down by God himself, and then have an over-the-top and cheesy death moment. The cast is very likable, the story is a classic, and it's definitely a western in every sense of the word, but to me, I respect its place in film history, but I wouldn't revisit it when there's a much better remake available.
October 8, 2016
"Sooner or later, you must answer for every good deed." While Mag 7 is fairly non-descript for such a revered classic, and often feels its length, it's still big, charming Hollywood fun. The score rivals Star Wars in the way it opens so bombastically big, getting you ready for the adventure to come...and has anyone ever been cooler than James Coburn in his prime?
October 8, 2016
An instant classic that was a direct remake of the Japanese Masterpiece Seven Samurai 1954. The film is truly brought alive by the performances of both Yul Brenner & Newcomer Steve McQueen.

The story of a poor village requesting 7 gunmen to fight the terror & devastation of nearby Bandits they pillage the township.

The strength in the film lies int the personalities of the seven men & the presence they have on screen. A true western in style & an entertaining film that doesn't sacrifice story for action.
September 30, 2016
A well flush out character, Americanisation of Akira Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai mirroring the major themes and attitudes of the original while re-creating that monumental film in an occidental setting.
½ September 27, 2016
"Los Siete Magnficos" es un re-make en clave de Western del clsico de Akira Kurosawa "Los Siete Samurai". La historia es acerca de 7 pistoleros que son contratados por un poblado mexicano, para luchar en contra del bandido Calvera (Eli Wallach). La msica de Elmer Bernstein es inmortal y el elenco (liderado por Yul Brynner), incluye a varios artistas que ms adelante se consagraran en el cine: Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, James Coburn, Robert Vaughn. Este film transicional entre las pelculas de vaqueros clsicas y el Spaghetti Western, influenci a muchos trabajos posteriores, tuvo tres secuelas y una serie de televisin, y contina siendo todo un clsico del gnero.
September 25, 2016
the original is a classic!
September 23, 2016
Whether or not a film is remade or just simply takes place within the same genre, people come to expect certain things when seeing a familiar storyline. Nowadays, people complain that there are far too many remakes of classic films, but what they don't realize is that there are quite a few remakes from the past as well. Today for example, the Swedish horror film Let the Right One In is released, only to be remade a year or so later as an American film, retitled Let Me In. This has been done since the very beginning of cinema. With that on the table, 1960's The Magnificent Seven followed directly in the footsteps of the 1954 Japanese samurai film, Seven Samurai. Did it improve on anything that the Akira Kurosawa version failed to achieve? Lets talk The Magnificent Seven (1960).

Following the events from Akira Kurosawa's 1954 masterpiece, it was already clear there was a high bar to match. Although I did not try to see the differences throughout this version, it was very hard to ignore the fact that there are some lines of dialogue literally delivered verbatim. The film begins with a group of bandits who threaten to return to terrorize the town if they do not have their food handed over to them upon their return. Therein lying the issue, a group of seven horsemen/gunmen are recruited to take down these bandits upon their return. It is a very simple story with great characters. That is almost exactly what my description was for Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, which is both a good and bad thing in my opinion. This film utilizes everything that made the original Japanese film a masterpiece, but also trims off about 80 minutes of story.

Although I had no complaints about the original telling of this story, The Magnificent Seven was able to trim off about 80 minutes from the original story, making for a much smoother film experience. That being said, the character development in Seven Samurai was much deeper, so for every positive, I also found a negative. On the bright side, watching men laugh over drinks, fire guns, and ride horses for the majority of the film is much more exciting then watching a ten minute scene of two samurai warriors talking about the future battle. That being said, Seven Samurai also utilized those scenes in a way that sucked its audience into every line of dialogue being spoken. While The Magnificent Seven does have a lot of great character moments, it tries to introduce new characters as the film progresses and you really only find yourself latching onto two of the main characters.

Worth every minute of waiting through set-ups and promises, The Magnificent Seven delivers, without a doubt, one of the most exciting shootouts in any western that I have seen. No, it doesn't live up to classic moments like that of The Good he Bad and the Ugly, but I am not trying to compare classics here. Sitting through every great character arc and moment of redemption, you feel a sense of fulfillment once the final battle occurs. There is so much excitement to be had while watching this picture, and for any western fan, there really is not much more you could have asked for at the time.

In the end, 1960's The Magnificent Seven is a well-made western picture, that without the original Japanese version, would not have been made. For that reason alone, I have to dock a few points. Does this film deliver fantastic and loveable characters? Absolutely. Does it deliver on awesome shootout sequences? You bet it does. Does it feel far too similar with not enough differences to Seven Samurai? Sadly, that is also a glaring yes. Still, being a fan of the western genre, I can say that much care and time was put into the making of this film and it shows in the final product. There are a few cheesy lines and performances throughout, making it hold up even less than its Japanese version, but it is still a great watch after all these years nonetheless. The 1960 version of The Magnificent Seven is pure western entertainment. Recommended to any fans of this genre.
½ September 19, 2016
This adaptation of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai is a lot of fun, and breezes by at a much faster pace. I think the big thing that it loses with the shorter run-time, though, is proper setup of all the seven main characters. They still have a "gather the team" sequence in the first act, but it's truncated so I don't get to connect with all of them. Brad Dexter and Robert Vaughn definitely get the least screentime, to the point where a later scene with Robert Vaughn having a strange nightmare seems like a cheap attempt to suddenly make him significant. Yul Brynner was a very strange casting choice, and Horst Buchholz wasn't much better. These two are desperately trying to hide their natural accents, but it doesn't work. It's not a big deal, but it does seem strange hearing Russian and German accents from this band of southern gunfighters (of course the flat American accents coming from many of the Mexican peasants was a little off as well.)

The movie does have a fun story, even if it does copy-and-paste a lot from Seven Samurai. I enjoyed the intros of some of the characters, I thought the training of the villagers was very funny in certain spots, and (despite any quibbles about accents) the cast was amazing. I particularly enjoyed Steve McQueen, whose charm was overwhelming in this film, and Eli Wallach, the Brooklyn Jew who manages to make a convincing bandito. The movie has one point in it where I felt a strange lull that made me zone out. I thought it was odd that the film includes a very early confrontation with the bandits, and then it pauses for a long time before the final showdown. That sequence that took place in between didn't seem to flow properly with the rest of the film. Perhaps when I watch it again it will make more sense to me. The final act is constructed in a satisfying way, but I strangely didn't feel much emotion when the main characters started to die. Perhaps it was the lack of proper setup that I mentioned earlier, but I wanted a more dramatic conclusion and I don't feel like I got it. Still, The Magnificent Seven is a very good movie, and one that I will happily rewatch and might even like more when I do.
September 17, 2016
Let me say from the get-go that I am SO GLAD that I have not seen Seven Samurai. This way, I can enjoy The Magnificent Seven on its own merits rather than getting bogged down in comparisons. Having nothing to compare it to makes revieing this fine Western easier, as I am sick to death of reading how it doesn't compare to Kurasawa's film!

Yul Brynner (yes, at least I know how to spell his name) is the perceived leader of a group of seven gunslingers he put together to go south of the border to help defend a poor Mexican village from the periodical raids of a bandit named Calvera (Eli Wallach) and his large band of bandidos, who leave the villagers just enough to barely survive. As each of the 7 is introduced, the viewer gets to know them in brief, though their characters never seem to have a chance to be truly fleshed out, with the exception of Chris (Brynner) and Vinn (Steve McQueen, in the role that made him a movie star. He had previously been the star of a TV Western called Wanted: Dead or Alive). The rest of the 7 are played to the hilt, as much as the script allows, by Charles Bronson, James Coburn, Robert Vaughn (these 3 will also go on to bigger things in the future), Brad Dexter and Horst Buchholz. The latter 2 did not make it big after this movie, although Buchholz was heralded as a European James Dean. For me, the big standout performers were Brynner, McQueen, and especially Eli Wallach, who is riveting and just fun to watch. No doubt Bronson, Coburn and Vaughn would have chewed up some scenery if they had been given more screen time, which was unfortunate. I have a more screen time wouldn't have benefitted Brad Dexter, as he was a bland performer anyway. Yoing Buchholz, though good-looking, wasted his screen time with too much emotional overacting.

As has been stated so many times, the standout Elmer Bernstein score is a great asset to the film. Stirring and truly "magnificent"! The action is handled well under the skillful, steady eye of famed director John Sturges.

Calvera's band of bandits was played, so I read, by real bandits, who lent real authenticity to the film. They sort of "adopted" Wallach and developed a camaraderie with him, acting as bodyguards to him and his wife, Anne Jackson when she visited the set. They checked Wallach's gun before a scene and showed him how to ride and "snarl" like a real bandit! Good stuff.

The Magnificent Seven is a fine movie that could have been better, hence my 4-out-of-5 star rating. The weak links were Brad Dexter, who was too bland to be effective, and Horst Buchholz, whose over-the-top acting diminished his character's likeability. Another is the script's inability to allow the other 5 gunslingers to flesh out their characters suitably, so that the viewer could have a chance to truly care about them and their eventual fates. Otherwise, The Magnificent Seven is a truly enjoyable way to spend an evening, with a fine cast of already-established stars in their prime, and soon-to-be stars. Not to be missed by any Western fan!
September 13, 2016
timo faroeste. timas atuaes. Um pouco longo demais. Poderiam cortar uns 20 minutos de baboseira. Msica demais!!!
½ September 12, 2016
A classic Western with an all-star cast. The film is beautifully shot and the catchy music makes it a movie you will remember. (First and only viewing - 6/12/2016)
½ September 9, 2016
It's not the prequel to Oceans Eleven, but coincidentally it is from the same year. The Magnificent Seven is a Western remake of Kurosawa's 1954 film, Seven Samurai.

In this 1960 version, seven gunslingers from America are hired to protect a small Mexican village from local bandits.

The ensemble cast led by Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen is not quite a sum of its parts. While McQueen and Charles Bronson boast strong performances, Brynner displays one of his weaker ones.

It's odd, considering director John Sturges does an excellent job with McQueen film, The Great Escape, three years later. It's as though these two films have a different director entirely. Or maybe the script is just not quite as strong. Evidence mostly points to the latter.

The plot is stretched far too thin, and the ending is not quite as climactic as we want it to be. Every once in awhile, they'll throw us a nice line or two, but overall, the dialogue is weak. Much of the film is slow and boring, only to be saved by either McQueen or Bronson--who are as good as ever.

Also, the two leads, Brynner and McQueen have absolutely no chemistry. The writers try several times to bolster their relationship, but to no avail.

It's not all bad. The premise is intriguing, and it gives us nice characters to root for. The production value is top-notch for the time. The set pieces are impressive, as are the shootouts. And we can't forget about the score, which is one for the ages--granting the movie some extra points. But they're not enough to save this disjointed film. It's a part of history, and I could see it being impressive back in 1960, but it hardly holds up well today.

Twizard Rating: 74
½ August 28, 2016
A bit of a rushed remake of a Japanese epic in the old west that offers sharp-shooting choreography, humor, and flat heroism, plus a wonderful musical score.