The Magnificent Seven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Magnificent Seven Reviews

½ November 18, 2017
If it were brushed up today with modern graphics and editing technology, it's be a fantastic film by its own right.
September 19, 2017
Classic. What movies should be.
September 13, 2017
The best western Ive seen in a long time
excellent music, great cast and well thought out plot
½ September 4, 2017
Didn't hold a candle to Seven Samurai. Only fun part was seeing Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson and James Coburn as young actors. But everything else that was lifted from Seven Samurai really really paled in comparison.
September 2, 2017
Great score. Sadly I watched the remake first, which I did not like. This has been spoofed so many times that it felt like I've seen it way to many times. Good movie but couldn't hold my attention and was a little to long.
August 6, 2017
A great film. Well acted by all (with the occasional falter...*see Chico*), a great story and some cool shoot outs to boot. Although based on The Seven Samurai, this still works as a 'western' and the themes and ethics are still prominent. We learn to love the rag tag bunch of heros..and there are moments of sadness as the film wraps up. A classic...and you can see why.
½ July 14, 2017
John Sturges does a solid job with The Magnificent Seven. It is a classic that holds up. It is a simple premis that works really well. It has a lot more depth and character development than the 2016 remake. Stand out acting in this film from Steve McQueen, Yul Brynner, and Horst Buchholz. In the mood to watch a western classic, The Magnificent Seven is for you!
½ June 24, 2017
Great movie. Featuring some rousing action, stylish direction from Sturges, a slew of fantastic performances from its ensemble cast and an overall positive message of rebellion against evil, this western set some major standards for its genre and established itself as an endlessly entertaining classic for generations to come.
April 8, 2017
Falls off after an excellent first act. B-
½ March 17, 2017
Neat spaghetti western. I will have to see the modern remake and compare...
February 22, 2017
Didn't really think this was that great. Honestly, the remake was way better.
February 13, 2017
A classic 'must see' film'. I have seen it about 5 times over the years. Some very deep emotions, that ring true.
½ February 12, 2017
I score it a Magnificent 7/10.
February 2, 2017
What a magnificent movie.
January 31, 2017
Terrible. Just another hokey remake of an old classic. No real character development and when the fight scenes FINALLY arrive, it is the usual "good guys hit everyone and bad guys miss everyone". Unlimited ammo, unlimited bad guys. I swear, there had to be 600 bad guys shot by 600 bullets. Guys half a mile away riding horses taken out by every shot and never miss..... yup, one of those. Go re-watch Tombstone instead.
½ January 10, 2017
Having already seen similar movies, from Seven Samurai to the downright stupid Ridiculous Six, this was closer to the former without a doubt. Although not as good as Seven Samurai, it did take a different route towards the end but overall it's basically the same movie except with cowboys instead of samurai obviously. Good enough, but there's much better westerns out there than this.
January 2, 2017
I enjoyed John Sturges remake as much as Seven Samurai. It has a classic score by Elmer Bernstein that makes it such a memorable film. Plus it has Coburn, Vaughan, McQueen and Bronson. Horst Buchholz not really as much of a maverick in the Kikuchiyo role but more like Face from The A-team. Eli Wallach as ever is the balls as the villain.
½ December 27, 2016
Yes it's a Western interpretation of Seven Samurai, and it's a good one.
December 24, 2016
A westen reworking of Akira Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai" that's very entertaining.
½ December 15, 2016
After having this film on my 'To Watch' list for years I finally got around to watching it. And I wasn't disappointed. When I saw the cast I was sceptical of Yul Brynner in the lead role in a western. He didn't disappoint though. His support cast of stars also were simply wonderful in this engaging film. If you're like me and enjoy the good old classics, then I recommed it for you. If you don't, I still recommed it.