Piranha Reviews

• Dec 03, 2020

A really fun flick. I saw this during it's initial run back in '79. I just revisited it last night via the Scream Factory Blu-ray. It still holds up. It's just the right mixture of thrills, chills and laughs. Bradford Dillman was perfect in his role of the main character. Joe Dante(the director) and John Sayles(the screenwriter)really pushed this one over and above the usual new World Pictures fare. Highly recommended if you enjoy drive-in movies.

• Oct 04, 2020

1978: One of the myriad of "Jaws" clones, this movie features a backwoods drunk and a skiptracer releasing mutated killer piranha from a secret military lab. The piranha kills all humans in their path, as they head towards a kids camp and a new riverside resort (as it is opening for business). This clone is a solid flick on its own with some fun inside jokes sprinkled throughout (the video game, the book), along with some intensity and suspense. Cast is fine. Movie even gets ballsy, as the piranha attack a group of the camp kids during a swimming race. Stars: Bradford Dillman, Heather Menzies, Kevin McCarthy, Keenan Wynn, and DIck Miller. Directed by Joe Dante. Script by John Sayles.

• Sep 23, 2020

Military-issue mutated piranhas are released into a river that flows past a kid's summer camp and the female scientist distracts a security guard by flashing him.

• Sep 05, 2020

What a dumb jass of a movie. It's also a slow burn of a movie and it's only 90 something minutes and it felt like a 2 hour movie. I heard that this movie is a so called cult classic so I was like sure, I'll give it a shot and it's a good time waster but is it enjoyable. Some parts yes like all the killer piranha parts are good but everything else is cringe. This movie doesn't give me a reason to care and I know it's supposed to be dumb but it's boring dumb. I'm waiting for the next piranha scene and theirs barely any of them. Maybe like 6 or7 and in the final act piranha scene is cool but it takes so long to get there. Maybe if you watch this with friends you could make fun of it but all by yourself nah it's cringe.

• Jul 28, 2020

Decent watch, probably won't watch again, but can recommend for fans of Jaws or any other version of this movie. There is a 1995 remake of this movie that I would probably watch instead if I wanted to watch this gain. Not-trigger warning: There is a surprising LACK of gore in this movie. This has a decent story to it, but it shares aspects with Jaws, Friday the 13th, other movies of the era. Particularly the "hide the effect" routine that Jaws made famous. The practical effects aren't very good, which is why the best use of them was to hide the fish whenever possible. In a way, it really works if the threat is massive, unstoppable, and nearly invisible. The whole "secret government project" angle is a little irritating as this crossed my movie watching with my "otherworldy research": things like this are presented in movies as an absurd idea when they are reality. Maybe not to this extent, but as the government used to claim Area 51 didn't exist, that should prove my point. They cast was fine, I didn't see any problems, and I didn't see anything extra-ordinary from them. This isn't a bad movie, there are just so many better things to watch, including the re-make, I guess.

• Jul 15, 2020

Ridiculous but never finds a way to be fun.

Ridiculous but never finds a way to be fun.

• Jul 13, 2020

It's no jaws, but don't let that stop it from giving you some frightening entertainment.

• Jun 18, 2020

I’m not the biggest fan of B-movie horror. For one thing, it never seems to feature decent acting, and often shoves cheesy dialogue into the mouths of the bad actors. My other problem is that they tend to be gratuitous. They show graphic nudity with no good reasons for it in the plot, and they love to go overboard with gruesome deaths. Yet, because of the restrictions of the budget, they can’t really afford good gross-out effects, so they often rely more on excessive amounts of fake blood shooting everywhere. Piranha is no exception to any of these rules. It has a lousy cast of actors who struggle to make even the most basic lines sound natural. It has a few of those pointless nude scenes, just because they have to keep the audience titillated. It also takes great delight in killing countless people on screen, and typically handles it with water that suddenly turns red. However, I was actually surprised sometimes how realistic they made the attacks look by churning the water, or using well-placed close-ups of fish writhing around. Of course, that was mixed with ridiculous and almost cartoony shots of the fish approaching, but still I think it worked better than I’d expect from this kind of B-movie. For what it’s trying to do, I think Piranha is fairly well-executed. It has all the scares that you want in a movie like this, and it does a great job of building tension leading up to the kills. It seems to be riffing off of Jaws in many ways, and I think that actually helps this film work a bit better. Of course it is laughably bad in comparison to the genius of Jaws, but I don’t think they were really trying to compete with Spielberg, just play with some of his ideas. They keep things exciting and raise the stakes by putting large groups of people at risk, and even include children in the mix so there’s a greater sense of outrage that the government is not taking action. Sadly, the story and characters seem to take a back seat to the constant death and danger. I never feel like they flesh out the back-story of the protagonists, and we don’t really see them do much other than race around trying to deal with this issue. Oh, and I think I’ll just avoid spending any time on the nonsensical stop-motion creature walking around at the beginning, because that was so pointless and weird that I don’t know what to say. Piranha as a whole definitely isn’t the kind of movie I enjoy, but for those who are fans of this kind of stuff, I think it would be a winner.

• Jun 17, 2020

What a dumb jass of a movie. It’s also a slow burn of a movie and it’s only 90 something minutes and it felt like a 2 hour movie. I heard that this movie is a so called cult classic so I was like sure, I’ll give it a shot and it’s a good time waster but is it enjoyable. Some parts yes like all the killer piranha parts are good but everything else is cringe. This movie doesn’t give me a reason to care and I know it’s supposed to be dumb but it’s boring dumb. I’m waiting for the next piranha scene and theirs barely any of them. Maybe like 6 or7 and in the final act piranha scene is cool but it takes so long to get there. Maybe if you watch this with friends you could make fun of it but all by yourself nah it’s cringe.

• Jul 16, 2019

PIRANHA was good. It worked well given the budget and made it slightly comical in some scenes. But very gory in others. Most of the B movie sense is on par for course. There's not much to say here. All actors done well as well as the director. A good B movie. Well worth the watch.