Sleuth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sleuth Reviews

September 29, 2016
"It's sex, sex is the game marriage is the penalty" well written brilliant acting
June 12, 2016
Good theatre on screen. Social conflict dialogue.
½ February 13, 2016
Incredible acting, and fabulous dialogue and story. Actors of this caliber do not exist today.
½ February 2, 2016
A phenomenal film! Two actors, one mansion, it sounds boring on paper, but it's really fun, I highly recommend this movie.
January 2, 2016
Brilliantly scripted, tense, disturbing, and extremely well acted, with one of the most memorable ending sequences ever.
November 28, 2015
Always fun, even if you know it like the back of your hand! An acting tour de force.
November 14, 2015
Don't want to mention too much about its plot. The multiple twists are mesmerizing and maybe the greatest in film history! Thanks to the wonderful script. Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine are both Oscar-deserving, unfortunately they were facing Marlon Brando's Vito Corleone that year. Olivier's multiple accents are incredible!
May 8, 2015
This movie made quite an impression on me when it was released forty years ago so I watched the video with my family. My wife and daughter got drawn into the plot the same way I had when I was ten. Laurence Olivier and Michael Cain played their parts brilliantly. The story twists and turns in intriguing and surprising ways. It is still a pleasure to watch and was a pleasure to have my family see it.
December 29, 2014
Brilliant writing and fascinating performances.
June 10, 2014
A smart, taut thriller that mostly benefits from the impressive performances of its leads.
June 5, 2014
So many twists and turns you can't predict.
½ May 30, 2014
Definitely one of the most disturbing movies I've ever seen, and I really have no idea how to react, but I did think it an amazing work and merits rewatching.
April 21, 2014
Fun. The cat and mouse performances are a delight to watch but I often wonder why plays are made into films. I would have loved to see this on stage!
March 27, 2014
Watch this one, not the Jude Law remake!
March 26, 2014
Olivier and Caine are absolutely great in playing off of one another in the original Sleuth. I didn't see the remake but thought this one was a dandy. Two great actors at work.
March 21, 2014
You have posted the cover of their 2007 version.
February 28, 2014
"The shortest way to a man's heart is through humiliation."
Adaptado da peça homónima de Anthony Shaffer, Sleuth é aquilo a que se poderia chamar de teatro filmado. O conceito é minimalista: dois actores e um cenário. Só.
E desenganem-se os que suspeitam que daqui apenas resultaria uma aborrecida e longa conversa pseudo-intelectual...
Laurence Olivier interpreta Andrew Wyke, um escritor de histórias detectivescas a la Sherlock Holmes, obcecado por todo o tipo de jogos, quer sejam eles de tabuleiro ou complexos jogos mentais. Michael Caine, seguro numa das suas melhores performances de sempre, é Milo Tindle, um modesto dono de uma cadeia de cabeleireiros que pretende casar com a ex-mulher de Wyke. Simples.
Tindle decide então anunciar a Wyke, quase numa espécie de requerimento, que pretende casar com a sua ex-mulher. Wyke, como seria de esperar, não se opõe, mas propõe a Tindle um jogo, ou melhor, um plano, que poderá tornar este último confortavelmente rico, uma vez que, como o próprio Wyke esclarece, a sua ex-mulher tem gostos muito peculiares que jamais poderiam ser sustentados pelas economias de Tindle. E o jogo começa...
Não é possível levantar o véu a mais pormenores da história sem revelar alguns dos seus pontos cruciais.
O que importa dizer é que Sleuth é um filme perverso, inteligente e viciante.
Embora tenha presente a inevitável áurea teatral, o filme é sem dúvida um thriller clássico, mais dado a argumentos e desempenhos do que apetrechos visuais e técnicas avançadas de realização.
Recomendado.
December 27, 2013
With only three characters, Sleuth is a thrilling and enthralling film about a writer with a love for games whose wife has fallen in love with a charming young hairdresser. The two meet up in his villa and decide to play mind games on one another. Sleuth is not only one of the most ingenious and intelligent screenplays ever written, but also one of the most vivid and convincing experiments of translating the language of theatre onto the big screen. Another thing about this sublime and witty film is that is serves as testimony for the huge acting talent of its actors Michael Caine and Laurence Olivier who grace their screen with their infallible chemistry and great unparalleled skill. Perhaps a bit highbrow for some, Mankiewicz's Sleuth is one of those films that feels one of a kind.
December 19, 2013
1/5 I couldn't last 20 minutes...it is quite idiotic and completely unbelievable. Neither character is believable and every situation is preposterous, or am I just missing something?