Sleuth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sleuth Reviews

May 26, 2017
This is one of the best movies ever made. Yet, while in some points it might strike you as stagy, it never lets go - even after the movie is over.
May 21, 2017
Great film...what a joy to watch Olivier, and Caine keeps up with his talent punch by punch.
May 15, 2017
Loved this film. Very clever. Good acting too.
May 1, 2017
One of my favourite films. Every whiplash of the tongue, every set piece, every twist and turn is delightful.
February 24, 2017
Sleuth is a brilliant stage piece that works beautifully with Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine in the lead roles.
February 22, 2017
The execution might wane at times, yet Shaffer's truly ingenious script and Olivier's amazing performance (Caine is good as well, especially during the final part) make "Sleuth" a very unique and gripping tale of two men fatally trying to outsmart each other. Brilliant.
January 24, 2017
Last year I read Anthony Shaffer's play about these two men in a battle of wits to see which one can get the most twisted revenge on the other. I then saw the 2007 remake and, finally, watched this better 1972 adaptation. Michael Caine is much better as young actor Milo than old author Andrew. Both Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine are in top form. The camera work by Oswald Morris and production design by Ken Adam show that they were masters of their craft. Anthony Shaffer is given screenplay credit. The strength of the stage play shines through without trying to change it up for the screen. Director Joseph L. Mankiewicz, who has a long filmmography as a writer, trusts the material for its game aspect and dramatics. The twists and turns are incredibly cunning and kept my attention for the over two hour run time. It just keeps pushing the suspense further and further.
September 29, 2016
"It's sex, sex is the game marriage is the penalty" well written brilliant acting
June 12, 2016
Good theatre on screen. Social conflict dialogue.
½ February 13, 2016
Incredible acting, and fabulous dialogue and story. Actors of this caliber do not exist today.
½ February 2, 2016
A phenomenal film! Two actors, one mansion, it sounds boring on paper, but it's really fun, I highly recommend this movie.
January 2, 2016
Brilliantly scripted, tense, disturbing, and extremely well acted, with one of the most memorable ending sequences ever.
November 28, 2015
Always fun, even if you know it like the back of your hand! An acting tour de force.
November 14, 2015
Don't want to mention too much about its plot. The multiple twists are mesmerizing and maybe the greatest in film history! Thanks to the wonderful script. Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine are both Oscar-deserving, unfortunately they were facing Marlon Brando's Vito Corleone that year. Olivier's multiple accents are incredible!
May 8, 2015
This movie made quite an impression on me when it was released forty years ago so I watched the video with my family. My wife and daughter got drawn into the plot the same way I had when I was ten. Laurence Olivier and Michael Cain played their parts brilliantly. The story twists and turns in intriguing and surprising ways. It is still a pleasure to watch and was a pleasure to have my family see it.
December 29, 2014
Brilliant writing and fascinating performances.
June 10, 2014
A smart, taut thriller that mostly benefits from the impressive performances of its leads.
June 5, 2014
So many twists and turns you can't predict.
½ May 30, 2014
Definitely one of the most disturbing movies I've ever seen, and I really have no idea how to react, but I did think it an amazing work and merits rewatching.