The Time Machine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Time Machine Reviews

½ April 15, 2019
Fun little romp through TIME! Knowing this influenced Doctor Who and features the voice of Scrooge McDuck makes it all the more sweeter. The special effects are dated, but all that matters is for the time they were awesome.
February 26, 2019
An outstanding adaptation of the classic H.G Wells novel. It is simply marvelous. It's boosted by eye-popping and very colorful effects, especially for the time. The Morlocks effects are also great. No wonder it won an Academy Award for Best Effects. And it is also supported by a good lead performance from Rod Taylor. But this film also evoques provocative questions on philosophy and time and human evolution. It's a very interesting film, and it's definitely an all-time science-fiction classic. A piece of real good work and recommended !!
April 30, 2018
Pure escapist science fiction, a wonderful story by H.G. Wells and George Pal. I love it.
½ April 15, 2018
The effects work throughout the film is truly special (the film won an especially well-earned Oscar for them).
March 28, 2018
Extremely entertaining first half of a movie. The way he travels through time and how the technology in 1960 is compared to today is fascinating. However, the second half of this movie, the monster part, sucks horribly bad.
March 1, 2018
Good classic sci-fi!
January 15, 2018
Might be the predecessor to "Idiocracy", but it was a bit too cheesy.
½ December 9, 2017
This is a great sci-fi film with an eerie depiction of the future as it shows how cannibals (referred to as "Murlocks") have taken over what appears to be the last of mankind far into the future. I liked how the humans (referred to as "Eloi's") seemed to have given up on life as they interacted with each other very little and obeyed the Murlocks willingly. I also feel like the final act was a fitting way to end the film. Overall, I'd say it was pretty intriguing in terms of its story. I also liked the time lapse effects as they were pretty creative. However, I've seen a lot of people criticize them for being dated. They don't look impressive by today's standards, sure, but to my knowledge, they looked just fine for 1960. In my opinion, CGI/practical effects should be judged by how they looked at the time the film they were from was released, not over 50 years after numerous technical advancements had been made. My only issue with the film was that the romance between George and Weena was predictable right after their very first encounter. I still enjoyed it a lot though. It's worth watching.
December 5, 2017
Good fun, a lot better than the remake and it has aged well.
September 21, 2017
Una magnifica storia, sorretta da ottimi personaggi ed una buona sceneggiatura. Anche se ormai è palesemente datato, non perde il suo fascino, unito ad una storia ancora molto coinvolgente e un grande personaggio protagonista. Quello che non ha superato la prova del tempo sono ovviamente gli effetti speciali e alcune scelte narrative, risolte in modo leggermente conveniente, mostrando solo ciò che era più facile mostrare. Nel complesso è un ottima pellicola, un prodotto del suo tempo, uno dei capostipiti non solo dei film sul viaggio del tempo, ma dell'intero genere della fantascienza.
July 21, 2017
Engagingly contemplative, The Time Machine instantly gains and then easily maintains your interest and fascination. A wonderful use of science fiction to allow us to ask ourselves the deepest of questions.
July 7, 2017
I haven't seen this film for almost 40 years and it is one that remains just about as good as I remember it being. A fantastic adaptation of HG Wells novel updated and improved (for dramatic purposes) to feature events from the 20th century.
June 15, 2017
Still a relevant theme, Rod Taylor travels 1 million years into the future to meet the millennials. They don't work they can't defend themselves, and they don't care about anybody else! Rod Taylor delivers HG Wells theme "1,000,000 years of men dying for their dreams. For what?So you can swim, dance, and play. Rod shows them how to get out of the caves of the morlocks and their parents basements. Rod and a midlife crisis send him after our young blonde with hopes to teach millenials how to get a job now that he screwed up their paradise like Adam and Eve. Good luck with that! And thank you Rod Taylor. But Please! tell us how to get millenials to work and save the future of mankind in the sequel.
March 25, 2017
Although it's obviously dated by today's standards, this is a classic sci-fi film that benefits by a strong performance by Rod Taylor. As well as being the grandfather of modern time travel movies, The Time Machine also adds a bit of social commentary and gives enough respect to the book that makes this movie fun to watch.
½ February 17, 2017
Classic science fiction film that still ranks as the best H.G. Wells adaptation to date. The main acting showcase is Rod Taylor, who plays Wells as a scientist who is tired of the world and wants to see a better one in the future. However, he quickly encounters disappointment as he progresses forward. Behind the camera, director George Pal crafts first and foremost an adventure film but incorporates the social commentary from the book as well which is what made Wells's work such classic, as he accurately predicted the future while warning of the dangers to come, from nuclear war to intellectual complacency. Granted, the visual effects have aged compared today (some matte paintings do stand out), but it's art direction remains inventive and a fantastic representation of the world Wells created (the actual Time Machine remains a marvel). Overall, a science fiction classic and still one of the best ever made.
½ January 10, 2017
An interesting sci-fi classic. It's a well-made film with good storytelling. (First and only full viewing - 5/17/2010)
December 28, 2016
I saw this in the theater when it was first released. It was great of course I was maybe 7 years old. Now I just read the book and it is more of a political statement than science fiction.
December 12, 2016
Average movie, full of good intentions and some unfortunate corollaries.
July 18, 2016
Being a English Lit major, I love the classics and H G Wells' is a true literary classic author. The Time Machine book had great material for the movie. The Time Machine movie had a riveting story where the viewer is intrigued and wanting to know more as each scene evolves. The special effects stood up well for an older movie! Strong acting which keeps the movie from being dated. For a movie made in the 1960's, it is better than many movies made today. Four stars.