Weird Science - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Weird Science Reviews

½ August 6, 2017
Like other movies from John Hughes like The Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller, it playfully captures the awkward teenage years through its main characters and makes humor out of it. There are a few bizarre moments that occur in the film, but they are mostly overshadowed by the humor that the film contains. The humor is funny and smart in many areas! It goes for more of that dumb edge than his other features, like how the woman is created makes no sense, but when you get on the movies level and understand what it's going for, you can have a great time!
½ August 6, 2017
A pioneer of the shenanigans comedy. I loved the cast, comedy and the music.
½ July 11, 2017
Two high school kids create a woman through their computer.
½ July 4, 2017
Total 8th grader guy movie
June 18, 2017
Silly John Hughes comedy is much closer to his goofy and crass early works like "National Lampoon's Class Reunion" than his more thoughtful teen dramas like "The Breakfast Club" or "Pretty in Pink." Hughes mines teen fantasy wish fulfillment when nerdy Anthony Michael Hall and Ilan Mitchell-Smith make a woman, Kelly LeBrock, who helps them become cool and meet cute girls. Since the film is a fantasy, it does allow it to have over-the-top characters, like Bill Paxton's Chet, or have Road Warriors crash a party on their motorcycles (who include Michael Berryman and actual Road Warrior alumni, Vernon Wells), though I never really cared for most of Hughes pictures that were broad comedies along these line (i.e. "The Great Outdoors" or "Beethoven"). I prefer his more sincere of comedies, including everything from classics like those mentioned above to even lesser ones like "Career Opportunities" or "Dutch." Still, there's an 80s nostalgia factor here for me, which earned this film an extra *.
½ June 12, 2017
Can't believe the sniffy reviews on here for this movie! This was every bit as good as I remembered (granted I don't remember it that well, I was generally a stoned teenager laughing at this). It's so funny though, never, ever takes itself seriously and is willing to laugh at every single character involved. OK the bit where Gary does his 'Hey Daddy-O' impression is a little cringeworthy but apart from that this is stone cold 80's brilliance.
½ June 4, 2017
Está simpática, aunque es bastante mala
May 30, 2017
hilarious.. an all time favorite.. KL is beautiful.. AMH is histerical.. John Hughes is a genius..
May 23, 2017
A cheesy cult classic from the eighties that is a blast to watch, funny jokes, good performances, and lots of creativity.
½ May 20, 2017
i personally enjoyed this movie very much, very corny and funny but it defiantly had it quirks of it 80s feels. i feel it deserved a little more credit. not perfect but id say its great regardless of the lesser review by critics
½ May 3, 2017
Hilarious as hell, Kelly's gorgeous as hell. Anthony Michael Hall...
½ April 4, 2017
It's got cult appeal now and is pretty funny at times, but this mostly feels like John Hughes haphazardly throwing together his worst material into a good concept to make a, pardon the allusion, Frankenstein's monster of a movie.
½ March 29, 2017
Moronic degeneration.
March 7, 2017
One of the best terrible movies ever. I loved this as a kid and it still gives me a good time. R.I.P. Bill Paxton.
March 4, 2017
John Hughes writes some sharp dialogue but the interesting premise seems to have been wasted in the second half of the movie.
November 24, 2016
Its still one of my classic movie
September 21, 2016
A pair of hapless teenage geeks create their dream woman with the aid of a home computer and proceed to turn their social standing upside down. Not a high point for John Hughes, who directed this paper-thin fever dream of a slapstick comedy after writing the screenplay in just two days. Hughes would become known for quick penmanship later in his career - he'd write Ferris Bueller in roughly the same amount of time - but in this case that efficiency leads to an imaginative premise that never really grows to maturity. Anthony Michael Hall, in something of a leading role after breakout performances in National Lampoon's Vacation and Sixteen Candles, is responsible for a lot of what works about the finished product. His comic timing is excellent, even in the most absurd situations (of which there are many). Hall particularly soars in one drunken scene, spilling his guts and making unlikely friends with the regulars in a seedy ghetto jazz bar, but that's an early climax and the film struggles to outdo it on the home stretch. Props and gimmicks pad out the rest of the ride, along with a generous dose of fresh, Hughsian, era-defining new wave cuts. Cheap and easy, but invariably charming and authentically funny; I've burnt weeknights with worse films.
½ August 20, 2016
Geeky teens build a supercomputer that they use to build a woman of their dreams, the magic trick to getting a hot and sexy Kelly LeBrock to pop out of your wall, is to put bra's on your head as displayed in this teen romp by our nerdy duo. Later on the teens become popular of course course because you see, their new girlfriend is not only sexy, she's a genie with magical powers such as freezing one of the teens grandparents. There's lots of things going on in this movie and the ultimate result is a messily directed teen flick filled with the typical stock characters seen many times in the teen genre.
½ August 13, 2016
I love John Hughes, but this is his weakest offering from the 80's.