My Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Girl Reviews

Mark H.
½ November 30, 2017
Above average coming of age film featuring a good cast, and two terrific child actors at the perfect ages for these roles. This is probably Culkin's best role because it's understated. He's very good in Jacob's Ladder too. Yes, this movie is a little contrived and sappy, but most tearjerkers are. This movie has enough charm, decent acting and a nice early 70's period feel to it. Overall, not a bad film. Much better than the totally unnecessary sequel.
November 3, 2017
Combining comedy and melodrama, it goes kind of well but there are weak patches, obviously, so it misses out on good rating.
½ October 24, 2017
THIS MOVIE SUCKED. WEIRD CHARACTERS & TERRIBLE STORYLINE. Not even 1 star!
½ October 6, 2017
She's kind of a know it all jerk.
½ July 15, 2017
I think this is probably the first film I've seen with Macauley Culkin in it, outside of the Home Alone films, but come to think of it - Was he actually in many other things? You can tell its of a similar era as he plays a very comparable role; cute kid, with a wicked smile, who's often too big for his boots. This time, there's no burglars involved though so he just has to be the geeky best friend of his hypochondriac pal. She is a very perplexing human being who at the tender age of 11, has had to endure many life changing experiences in a short space of time; the death of her mother, menstruation, and school bullies being just a few of the issues. Her dads inability to help on several occasions, leads her to develop intriguing relationships with other members of the community, all which play with her emotions in a torrid manner. What comes across as a comedy at first, cleverly develops into something very deep and powerful as it progresses down the line, even tugging at some heart strings towards the end. Never known to me until know, this of course boasts the 'My Girl' tune on its soundtrack, as well as several other famous cast members on its books. The appeal is largely influenced by the young age of the main roles, which I can imagine won't hold as much of our attention in the sequel if they are depicting more of a grown up viewpoint. Nevertheless this was a surprise package for me, very recommendable, although from talking with friends most people have seen this already given it was a famous production that I appear to have overlooked until now.
July 7, 2017
É uma história tão linda, de partir o coração. Impossível não se emocionar assistindo esse filme. Não importa quantas vezes vc já viu.
July 4, 2017
Story about an eleven year old girl growing up in the suburbs in the early 1970's. Your typical sweet corny movie about kids in America. Not exactly great, but its okay I guess. I just wish it was a bit more mature.
June 17, 2017
There are some obligatory scenes. But there are also some very original and touching ones.
½ June 9, 2017
Good family film. Abit dark for a family film but very raw and very well done
½ February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
October 8, 2016
1972. Vada Sultenfuss (played by Anna Chlumsky) is an intelligent, bubbly, hypochondriacal 11-year old girl. Her father, Harry (Dan Aykroyd), is a mortician and a widower. Her best friend is Thomas J Sennett (Macaulay Culkin). Then her father hires a new receptionist, Shelly (Jamie Lee Curtis) and life will never be the same again.

Wonderful movie, and so much better than I expected. From the title and synopsis I thought it was going to be some sort of romantic drama made for teens/pre-teens. However, it is much much more than that. A great examination of love and loss, life, death and renewal and growing up. Very emotional, especially in the final few scenes.

Anna Chlumsky is great as Vada. Most child characters end up being irritating, as they tend to be written for children and acted in bratty fashion. Vada's character is wonderful and Anna Chlumsky, in her second movie and first major role, gives a superb performance. Sadly, unlike her co-star Macaulay Culkin, her career never really took off after this and it took until the series Veep in 2012 before she got the sort of role she deserved.

On that note, Macaulay Culkin's role is more subdued, has less screentime and less dialogue-intense than Chlumsky's. He does a solid job though.

Dan Aykroyd and Jamie Lee Curtis put in good performances too.
July 30, 2016
How the heck was this rated so low back in the day? This is one of the best films for kids of this age group - as well as for adults. It deals with some difficult subjects, but today the general opinion is that it's a wonderful classic. You will cry though.
½ July 18, 2016
A sweet and funny coming of age childhood favorite of mine thanks to an adorable performance by Anna Chlumsky.
July 13, 2016
Favorite movie of all time.
June 20, 2016
Coming of age drama about a twelve year old motherless girl and the bond and friendship she shares with her best friend: a local boy named Thomas J. It's a tearjerker for sure but a great one.
April 14, 2016
its a great 90's movie
½ April 5, 2016
Good idea, poor execution
½ March 18, 2016
So much is shoved into so little: it makes you wonder what the point of it was other than the single, eventful summer of an 11 year old girl.
March 12, 2016
watched this film about a billion times also I watched a couple of mouths after my brother died then I cried that bad cause this lovely dramatic film xð'-