My Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Girl Reviews

October 8, 2016
1972. Vada Sultenfuss (played by Anna Chlumsky) is an intelligent, bubbly, hypochondriacal 11-year old girl. Her father, Harry (Dan Aykroyd), is a mortician and a widower. Her best friend is Thomas J Sennett (Macaulay Culkin). Then her father hires a new receptionist, Shelly (Jamie Lee Curtis) and life will never be the same again.

Wonderful movie, and so much better than I expected. From the title and synopsis I thought it was going to be some sort of romantic drama made for teens/pre-teens. However, it is much much more than that. A great examination of love and loss, life, death and renewal and growing up. Very emotional, especially in the final few scenes.

Anna Chlumsky is great as Vada. Most child characters end up being irritating, as they tend to be written for children and acted in bratty fashion. Vada's character is wonderful and Anna Chlumsky, in her second movie and first major role, gives a superb performance. Sadly, unlike her co-star Macaulay Culkin, her career never really took off after this and it took until the series Veep in 2012 before she got the sort of role she deserved.

On that note, Macaulay Culkin's role is more subdued, has less screentime and less dialogue-intense than Chlumsky's. He does a solid job though.

Dan Aykroyd and Jamie Lee Curtis put in good performances too.
July 30, 2016
How the heck was this rated so low back in the day? This is one of the best films for kids of this age group - as well as for adults. It deals with some difficult subjects, but today the general opinion is that it's a wonderful classic. You will cry though.
½ July 18, 2016
A sweet and funny coming of age childhood favorite of mine thanks to an adorable performance by Anna Chlumsky.
July 13, 2016
Favorite movie of all time.
June 20, 2016
Coming of age drama about a twelve year old motherless girl and the bond and friendship she shares with her best friend: a local boy named Thomas J. It's a tearjerker for sure but a great one.
April 14, 2016
its a great 90's movie
½ April 5, 2016
Good idea, poor execution
½ March 18, 2016
So much is shoved into so little: it makes you wonder what the point of it was other than the single, eventful summer of an 11 year old girl.
March 12, 2016
watched this film about a billion times also I watched a couple of mouths after my brother died then I cried that bad cause this lovely dramatic film x'-
February 15, 2016
Great movie for teens and adults it has comedy,sadness,and is relatable
January 23, 2016
Jamie Lee was still foxy as ever in the early 90's and Aykroyd is likable in everything but I still can't get on board with Mac dying due to the bee stings.
January 17, 2016
A pretty entertaining, coming of age movie. We don't get to see movies like these much anymore. It's pretty smart and charming. It's pretty well made and was pretty funny.
½ January 12, 2016
Still such a great coming-of-age drama. The movie is so sweet and feels very real. Also very sad still.
December 29, 2015
A classic! Still can bring me to tears after all these years.
November 28, 2015
I cried watching this as a kid, it's just a cute throw-back.
November 20, 2015
one of my favorite movies
November 20, 2015
Beautiful film and yet funny too.
November 12, 2015
good family/period pic that effectively mixes film with music