The Lost World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lost World Reviews

January 25, 2016
I can finally SEE the value of a 'MATURE' SILENT.
½ January 20, 2016
Most movies of this epoch are considered slow and boring by modern standards. This one is not totally an exception. But its pace is much closer to our customs which makes it still enjoyable. It is interesting to see the topics of such a movie, such as the scholar presenting his ideas to a resisting audience.
½ September 13, 2015
The Lost World is a revolutionary film from the 20's. The graphics were great for the time, and the film is a classic, but the dialogue and writing is a little weak. However, that isn't a major flaw, and the scenery is amazing.
August 24, 2015
The Lost World is a groundbreaking film and it has evident blockbuster sensibilities for better and for worse, but I like its beginning and ending the most, especially the beginning with awesome build-up and a great sense of wonder and excitement which is a reason why it works both as fantasy and an adventure. It is also well acted and although some characters and their melodrama are annoying, the character of Professor Challenger is excellent and the standout. It is not edited well with rushed and sometimes episodic nature, but it has revolutionary stop-motion special effects that look extraordinary for the time and it above all is an entertaining and charming film with a lot of wonder and joy.
March 2, 2015
a classic in which King Kong and jurassic park originated from
January 10, 2015
Just amazing, absolutely incredible movie of the time
August 22, 2014
A ready team of adventurers, a mysterious diary, a trip to someplace totally exotic, someplace in South America, and crazy rumors about live dinosaurs ... no, it's not Jurassic Park! Its only about 6 decades before!
The boisterous Wallace Beery and serious Lewis (Andy Hardy's dad!) Stone lead a team into the forgotten jungles of time to enact Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's adventure tale for the ages. The stop motion animation, the same technique that'd bring King Kong to life years later, is incredible for its time and they serve up a heap of it, not skimping at all, like when the great brontosaurus runs amok in London.
Pretty cool stuff and a must for adventure fans
June 6, 2014
the first silent film i ever saw was a pretty good start. the claymation is pretty incredible, the special effects in general are good for the time. the film is admirable for being as old as it is and having dinosaurs while still having little camp to it. the film is important to the history of cinema and while it does lack in character and deph its from the 20s so it doesnt need those.
½ February 2, 2014
restored with loving care i still prefer the 1960 version of this maybe cos that's what i saw sa a kid going to the movies on a saturday afternoon.
January 28, 2014
An all time classic fantasy film which is still potent today since it was released. The special effects are fantastic though not as cutting edge as today's wizardry but who cares. The make up effects are phenomenal, the ape man remains one of my personal favorites. I really love this film.
December 18, 2013
For a silent movie that clocks in at just under 90 minutes, it's pretty effective. Much the way 'King Kong' was eight years later (and with sound), it was probably a technical marvel at the time. The stop-motion animation is pretty impressive, as is how the film is spliced together. Oh, it's true, there's a blackface character (with some very cliché dialogue), and it's not the most knock-out story by today's standards, but if you watch it as a true cinephile, you'll probably enjoy it for what it must have been like to see in theaters all those years ago.
October 27, 2013
How many firsts can one film have? this historic movie is the first adaptation of Arthur Conan Doyle's novel of the same name. It was the first dinosaur based fantasy film which inevitably led to more monster/dino movies, the spark that lit the fuse as it were. And it was the first film to show animated models as the main feature within a film, or the main special effect...welcome to the lost world.

This being the first time I have seen the film I was surprised at the fact its basically the very first King Kong film. The plot involves a team of adventures, professors and scientists (and the obligatory female) that venture deep into Venezuela to a large plateau. The reason being firstly to rescue an explorer who has been lost on the plateau and because of his journal that shows sketches of dinosaurs.

So the team set out mainly to rescue but also to try and discover lost dinosaurs and naturally try and bring one back. It wasn't until the later of the film that I realised how much of an early Kong film this was. When they manage to bring a huge Brontosaurus back to London only for it to escape and run amok destroying half of Westminster, I was quite surprised. I really didn't expect to see that, there have been so many similar films that have used this simple premise but its interesting to see the very first of the genre. A little research and you will see the man behind the effects is none other than Willis O'Brien, the man responsible for the mighty Kong and Mighty Joe Young.

But lets not beat around the Jurassic bush here, this film is all about the special effects, it was America's first summer blockbuster if you will. Hell yes it was the first big blockbuster...the film even had product placement in certain scenes, mainly in London at the end.

The film now of course is very rough and has aged badly in places, but in my opinion this actually makes the effects look much better and adds a real sense of grittiness to the proceedings. A combination of stop motion model work and matte paintings set against the scratchy, darkly lit black n white actually brings the whole thing to life and covers any nasty obvious joins that would give away the illusion. Of course the model dinosaurs are somewhat jerky and tend to move erratically at times but in general the creature movements and behavioural habits are surprisingly well created.

When the Allosaurus attacks a baby Triceratops and the parents come to its defense it does actually look quite realistic. Clearly research into the way animals do behave in these situations has been used for the dinosaurs, you half expect a real 'Godzilla-esque' cheese fest but its better than that. The only issue I had with some dinosaur sequences is they felt separate from the characters plot, they didn't really connect in any way, had you taken them out it wouldn't affect the story. Most of them are obviously in there just for the visual spectacle which is fine, you do need some dinosaurs present if you're going down this route. But we mock modern films for doing the same thing don't we hehe.

There is also some brilliant use of scale in the sets and model use. Shots of the massive cliff face they climb to reach the plateau (although I have no idea how on earth they supposedly scaled that cliff as its flippin vertical!), the tree that spanned the deep drop, the mighty cliff face they descended from their cave hideout, the dinosaur fight on another cliff edge...lots of cliffs in the film. They all help to give the film a realistic sense of depth, simple tricks to lull the audience whilst at the same time essential ingredients for adventure yarns.

You can clearly see how the film has influenced so many creature films, from the jungles sequences to the rampage in London, its all very familiar if you've seen other stop motion classics such as Harryhausen's. The later live action sequences are grand too, the amount of extras and cars that we see dashing about in the London sequences is certainly an eye opener. You can see why people in the day thought the film was genuine and it terrified them because it does look like a realistic news reel. I can imagine that various elements of this film scared people back then, this kind of thing had never been seen before. I'll bet the ape-men probably brought gasps of horror as they do look pretty fearsome even now, the black and white accentuates their looks even more.

I can't deny that I did find the plot a little tricky to follow at times. This being a silent film all you get are the odd shots of text with dialog, but at times you don't get much so you're left to guess what's going on. The ending suffers from that to be honest, it fizzles out leaving you kinda wondering what actually happened. One minute there is death and destruction, the next the lead character is kissing the female lead and they drive off into a happy ending. That along with the constant organ (?) soundtrack throughout are the only things that I didn't really like, the music can become irritating as it never really blends properly with the film, seems completely out of place.

Being a monster/creature/dinosaur fan I did enjoy this...musky, grainy, stuffy old visuals included. Its interesting to see the dated effects and the slightly hammy acting and its also interesting historically of course (white guy painted up as a black man! his dialog screen caps also being written as a black man would have spoken at that time...presumably). Its not gonna be for everyone of course and I won't lie and say its a rollercoaster ride of thrills, it can be boring at times, but I think everybody should at least see where it all began.
½ September 19, 2013
The 1920s brought many innovations, chief among them being advances in special effects for film. The Lost World, in that regard, was practically today's Avatar, boasting "incredible" stop motion technology. Regardless, its tired stereotypes and incredibly sloppy storytelling drag it down into laughable territory. It's mildly entertaining but ultimately a piece of sentimental cinema fluff beheld only for its novelty.
September 7, 2013
Arguably the best of the silent era dino flicks, although it diverges heavily from it's original source
July 15, 2013
1933's King Kong Is My Ninth Favorite Film Of All Time.
½ June 24, 2013
This film was quite interesting. I was impressed with the use of footage of humans and the claymation dinosaurs. However, there are many things that I need to mention. In elementary school, I was en expert in modern biology and prehistoric life. I, like everyone else, also understand basic geography. In the note of basic geography and modern biology, I noticed that the film is set in South America, yet African chimpanzees andcapuchin monkies make several appearances. I also should mention that the main characters are Brittish, but the characters occasionally use Southern American grammar. Now, the subject of preshistoric creatures, which dominate this film. The antagonist of the film is not the Tyrannosaurus Rex, as most dinosaur films they usually are. Neither is the Allosaurus, which appears the most throughout this film. Instead, a "long-neck" is the greatest villian. This Brontosaurus, (now known as an Apatosaurus) is wounded in a fight with an Allosaurus, and almost dies. Still alive, the heroes take it to London, but this "leaf eater" hostily attacks the town and swims away. The T-Rex is shown being able to use it's arms to catch prey. However, this isn't possible because it's arm's only have 2 fingers and are the size of an average man's arm. The T-Rex and Allosaurids are shown standing vertically, when they really would have stood horizontally. Knowing all of this by age 9, I found this film to be utterly hilarious being 10 years older. Without this film, there would have never been the beautiful 2005 version of King Kong. The Bronto/Apatosaurus is comparable to the great ape and his captivity in New York. I still enjoyed this historic piece of film. Possibly due to all of these excessive innacuracies. The 1925 version of "The Lost World" is a film that should never go missing from our classic monster film library.
May 23, 2013
saw this in a classic theater. i bought into this movie more than many of our modern special effects bonanzas. I think it was because all the actors, which i knew were real live human beings, showed up on the screen sort of herky-jerky every now and again and when the dinosaurs were shown I suspended my disbelief more easily. probably for film buffs only, but well worth it for those of us who love old-timey things.
½ May 21, 2013
As a dinosaur movie fan, I find this to be essential viewing. The stop-motion is great for it's time, and while it is a silent film, it's not hard to watch. The beginning is a little slow, but once the dinosaurs appear on screen, the film takes onto an enjoyable pace. The music is alright, although it can be very unfitting for some scenes. It might not be all-too similar with the book, but it's still a pretty great 1920's film.
March 30, 2013
A wonderful movie with special effects by Willis O'Brien. But it's silent.
½ February 13, 2013
one of the first monster movies
6.8/10