Naked Reviews

• Dec 24, 2020

Abrasive, sharp, and saturated with dark humor. There's a lot to praise about Naked, but I want to highlight three things. 1) The writing is airtight. It's sharp and witty, covering everything from conspiracy theories to misogyny. 2) Johnny (David Thewlis) is remarkable. The character is one of the most full-flushed out characters I've seen on film. He is deeply flawed, egotistical, bitter, and intelligent, yet fundamentally human. 3) Andrew Dickson's score is the unsung hero. The tight, almost sinister tones serves as the perfect compliment for an atmosphere of anxiety and cynicism.

• Jul 30, 2020

I understand the method behind the madness, but it just wasn't an interesting ride. Felt like a bunch of choppy improv pieces put together. Not worth the money or the time.

• May 30, 2020

I don't think there's a better performance in history by a male actor than David Thewlis in this movie. The entire cast is wonderful and the fact that most of the dialogue is improvised only lends to the astonishment one gets when watching this perfectly crafted film. Wickedly funny, wickedly sharp, melancholic, dangerous and misanthropic, trust me when I say you've never seen a movie like this and probably won't ever again.

• Dec 20, 2019

Fantastic. Great movie for thinking people

Fantastic. Great movie for thinking people

• Jul 19, 2019

Developed and scripted from numerous extensive improvisations of the actors in character, Mike Leigh won Best Director at the Cannes and David Thewlis, Best Actor, for the idiosyncratic modus operandi but its oppressively pessimism and arbitrary philosophical dialogues demand an acquired taste.

• Jun 20, 2019

No matter how much work you put into it, Thewlis has a magnetic personality, you'll be drawn unwillingly. Naked Leigh is challenging himself. Starting the film with such a heinous act, he is primarily challenging himself rather than setting the tone of what you should prepare yourself of. The writer-director, Mike Leigh has a daunting task then, to keep us engaged and involved in characters that doesn't particularly speak with the common audience. There is very little space for him to wander here and there. The reasoning or justification might come off as a pretentious act. But Leigh is a clever chap. His film isn't obsessed with convincing you to follow or root for, in fact, any of the characters. He just wants you to observe them from a distance. And maybe, that is why at their most vulnerable state only, he decides to show us a close up. While the rest of the time along with distance, the surrounding or environment too is mapped for us to not fall into them. The film actually deals with plenty of themes, considering the fact that David Thewlis literally goes door to door, knocking some philosophical debates into others. But the endorsement strategy states it to stage the primary physical theme up front. And even though for the most part of the time the conversations are debates, as mentioned, they are often a part of distraction. Look, how there is background score while Thewlis spews his views and how unfinished most of the sentences are. The real target lies in the physical sequences. The way he walks, behaves, switches back and forth, reserves, embraces and in the end, even releases his emotional issues in an almost panic attack. The writing and execution is, of course, sharp and mature, but it is the performance, the conviction in them, that puts it all over the top and still balanced. Naked has the natural state of the least "normal" routine you could think of, and yet they are humans.

• May 27, 2019

"I used to be a werewolf, but I'm all right no-OOWWWWWWWWWW!". Imagine 'A Clockwork Orange', but if Mike Leigh directed it. David Thewlis performance as Johnny is absolutely mind blowing and pure genius. One of the all time best. A despicable, yet care-free man that uses his intelligence to distracts you from how rotten he truly is. 'Naked' doesn't shy away from presenting it's razor-sharp commentary on assault and rape, but will be hard for some to stomach. The script is fantastic with two stellar performances from Lesley Sharp and Katrin Cartlidge, and Leigh finest work.

• Sep 23, 2018

Certainly a unique film about people on the fringes of UK society. Some witty dialogue and puns. Ultimately, I'm not sure if I want to see it again with some of its far fetched situations/characters.

• May 16, 2018

Mike Leigh's masterpiece

Mike Leigh's masterpiece

• Apr 20, 2018

Well, this was different. This movie is very difficult to classify, and that is always a good thing. It tells the story (not much story actually) about a drifter in London, and other dark unstable characters surrounding him. Not much to say, only that "Naked" remind me of the beat generation.