Richard III - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Richard III Reviews

May 23, 2016
Utterly compelling and faultless. Ian McKellen is astonishing and chillingly convincing. Nigel Hawthorne is deeply moving as Clarence. The setting is effective and brings the piece to life with its deep cynicism. Every production of Richard III must surely pale in comparison.
Robert B.
October 8, 2015
Richard III is a fun, unserious production. Ian McKellen is great in the titular role and is the main reason why I rate the film up; none of the other performances makes much of an impression. The setting is interesting with nice costuming and style. Richard III is definitely a film you want to see at least once.
½ September 24, 2015
A brilliant shame that a feudal period piece should so easily translate to a 1930's setting. Beneath it's superficial sheen is social progress really that slow?
½ May 4, 2015
A great adaptation, but it moves almost too quickly, often at the expense of development and dialogue. A great flick for those who know the play; others may be a bit baffled as to what is going on.
½ January 18, 2015
In this re-imagining of William Shakespeare's classic play, Ian McKellen shines as the titular villainous king. Adapted to look like 1930's fascist England, this film is just brimming with style and sleaze...just like Richard himself. Even if you don't like Shakespeare, you'll like this.
September 16, 2014
dont be a nigger check that trigger
½ August 16, 2014
Awesome. The time transplant feels organic and McKellen is absolutely captivating.
June 12, 2014
Good thing McKellen's in virtually every scene, because he totally owns this role. Some of the other cast members (Bening, especially) aren't quite so mesmerizing.
December 27, 2013
C'est peur être un "classique" mais ce film est TELLEMENT PLATE que j'ai jamais été capable de l'écouter en entier !!!!
November 21, 2013
An incredibly fresh reinstallation of the Great Master's work with an excellent performance of Gandalf/Magneto and an evergreen story about treachery and the nature of dictatorships.
November 13, 2013
Best version ever. Cleverest use of the line: "A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse!"
October 1, 2013
A pretty solid re-imagining of Richard III, but not my favorite.
½ September 22, 2013
When Richard III came out in 1995, I would not have crossed the street to see it for free. I may have been a 25 year old party girl who was working on her 7th year of college, but I was very conservative about some things, chiefly that Shakespeare is a canonical playwright whose plays should not be changed at all.

My older, hopefully wiser self now realizes how silly this point of view was, but it is the reason that I never had an interest in seeing this version of Shakespeare's most famous "historical" play.

It's only available on Netflix WI until October 1, so if you haven't yet seen it, watch it quick! It's a lush, professional production populated by famous actors and owned by Ian McKellen.
½ September 9, 2013
This is a better movie than I give credit for. The problem for me, is that Shakespearean dialogue to me is like a second language you know, but you don't converse in enough that you can unconsciously think in it. So for me, it takes longer to register the meaning, symbolism and the acting, leaving me less time to actually enjoy the proceedings.
September 7, 2013
While not as good as the '55 Olivier version, Richard Loncraine's reimaging of the classic tale is a highly inventive and stylish drama.
August 10, 2013
Not only is this the best version ever of this play, but it is pure alternate world SF.
July 20, 2013
With arguably Ian McKellen's greatest performance in tow and an astounishing level of visual finace, this alongside Brannagh's Hamlet marks the high note of the ninties Shakespeare rebirth.
June 26, 2013
A strong contender for the greatest Shakespearean adaptation ever put to screen. Radical in its approach, they set the story during WWII. This modernizing approach to Shakespeare would become popular later with Romeo & Juliet and others. This was the first. Ian McKellen is flawless and impossibly riveting. He puts some of the other (American) actors to shame. Ultimately, this intense story is incredible from start to finish.
February 21, 2013
I'd love to see this again.
½ February 20, 2013
Madness,envy,greed and traition are the ingredents of an remarkable shakesperean drama supported by mighty roles.