The Funeral - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Funeral Reviews

½ February 3, 2016
"GRIPPING | POWERFUL | STAGNANT" (77-out-of-100)
½ April 28, 2015
Does not take you where you think it"s going.Not the usual gangster fare but very satisfying.
September 10, 2014
A mafia story about the Templo brothers. What makes the difference is that the characters in this film ask themselves about life, death, God. There are dialogues with some deepness. The story begins with the funeral of the younger brother. Jane, Ray's wife who is opposite to the violent conduct of the brothers, predicts how is going to be the end of Chez of one of the brothers based in their father's own end.
July 23, 2014
The Funeral has great acting, scenery and plot. Abel Ferrara sets a perfect mood for this film. It keeps you entertained throughout the entire movie. It is especially amazing how he was able to make you sympathize with truly awful human beings. Well Done!!
½ November 12, 2013
A mais assumida tentativa de Ferrara no terreno da saga familiar perdida no crime, está cheia de óptimas prestações individuais e acrescenta mais qualquer coisa ao tema do arrependimento na carreira do realizador, mas perde-se muito numa neurose over-the-top que não abona em nada o filme.
½ May 28, 2013
quite a bit better than i was expecting and not as boring as one would expect. Great pereformances and a good look into the depression era. I really en joyed the ending as well because it made sense of earlier scenes i thought were maybe pointless.
½ October 13, 2012
Not the clearest narrative ever, I felt kind of detached while watching it. Chris Penn was pretty good though.
May 12, 2012
A Christopher Walken flick, a must see and a must have!
April 15, 2012
Absolutely riveting from start to finish. Abel Ferrara's take on New York City gangsters is unlike any other film of its genre.

Chris Penn is phenomenal and powerful. Chris Walken is fantastic as always.

The business needs more gangsters films; this is a great one.

See it.
February 8, 2012
I wasnt expecting it to end the way it did so that was koo. Overall I'd say the film is so-so but the performances from the main cast make it worth the watch
February 3, 2012
There is no point or reason for this movie to exist. Too hard to follow the story. Not worth the effort.
December 17, 2011
An alright story surrounded by amazing performances. Walken, Penn, Del Toro, Gallo, Sciorra and Rossellini feel so natural and authentic in there characters. But the story loses focus at times and unlike Bad Lieutenant where it helped the story this holds it back.
½ December 10, 2011
D-rate depression era mobster movie. This movie was just awful and had no point whatsoever. Not that you're likely to come across this film, but in the event you do, turn it off immediately.
½ December 9, 2011
Penn is rather hammy. Nevertheless, a pretty solid drama from Ferrara.
November 27, 2011
½ October 29, 2011
Dark, mesmerizing, sinister and overlooked, The Funeral shows the true animalistic and violent nature of those in the underworld. And the existential questions are also a great bonus. All in all, a subtle and smart gangster movie. A fantastic mix.
October 26, 2011
The Tempio Brothers - Ray (Christopher Walken), Chez (Chris Penn), and Johnny (Vincent Gallo) work with the mob. Ray is the calm, cool, collective brother while Chez is much more volatile. Johnny is different than the two. He seems to be less interested in the gangster life and more interested in socialism and change. When Johhny is murdered, his two brothers are both affected in a very dramatic way. The Funeral is Abel Ferrari's gangster family flick which examines the lives of these brothers, but also their wives and the nature of why they do what they do. The film begins with Ray and Chez's families getting together to mourn the death of Johnny days before the actual funeral takes place. We get flash backs to establish the brothers and we learn that not only was Johnny a fledging communist but he was also sleeping with Gaspare, a major player who Chez has business with. The most interesting aspect of the film for me is Abel Ferrara's interest in Catholicism as it relates to these men, who most would consider to be animals. One scene between Ray and his wife, Jean, is fantastic where Ray tells her "If I do something bad, itâ(TM)s because God didnâ(TM)t give me the grace to do something good." Its a theme that resonates throughout the film. Ferrara also spends time with the wives of these brothers, showing how tortured their lives are being in love with such men. It's really a well balanced ensemble piece that explores emotion and character to a degree which most gangster films never would. The acting is solid all around, but Chris Penn really gives the performance of his career as the unstable Chez.
September 25, 2011
A pretty good gngstar film from the legndary Abel ferrea. Walken shines like always and the story is very strong and tragic
blkbomb
½ September 25, 2011
Ray: If I do something wrong, it's because God didn't give me the grace to do what's right. If this world stinks, it's his fault. I'm only working with what I've been given.

"One family, one murder, too many lies."

What makes The Funeral a better than average gangster film is solid performances from underrated actors like Chris Penn and Vincent Gallo, and strong performances from its bigger names, Christopher Walken and Benicio Del Toro. The Funeral winds up being a really well made and acted film, even if it didn't become a great movie. The story isn't anything we haven't seen before, but the superb acting makes it feel like you are watching this storyline for the first time.

What The Funeral does do well is make its case for more of a family drama then a true gangster film. Although it's still a gangster film, as it gets going it relies more and more on the family drama and less and less on he actual ins and outs of the business. It's actually a pretty slow moving drama for most of the runtime and then within the last 10 minutes, the plot goes crazy and leaves the viewer with a weird feeling. I can't say I was at all surprised by the ending, but watching happen that quickly was a surprise. The ending turns out to be cool because director Abel Ferrera didn't feel the need to add melodrama or draw it out, but it also feels rushed for this same reason.

Either way I thoroughly enjoyed The Funeral despite its structural problems. There wasn't a bad performance from the cast and that ends up being enough to win me over on this one.