Big Fish - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Big Fish Reviews

October 17, 2016
Big Fish is directed by Tim Bourton and features an all-star cast. Will Bloom, played by Billy Crudup, is back talking with his father just days before he dies, and he wants to separate fact from fiction from his tall-tale spouting dad he feels like he barley knows. The film reviews some of Edward Blooms famous adventures in all its glory, and along with the audience, Will Bloom finds out the stories may not be completely made up after all. Big Fish is one of the most heartwarming movies I've ever seen, plenty of memorable moments are filmed, as well as some truly hilarious moments. The entire cast was amazing, everyone was just a little over the top, but not too much where it was annoying, and all the characters were satisfyingly pleasant, even the villains seemed strangely good natured in a menacing way. The plot was excellent, and the dialogue hilarious at times, and dramatic when it needed to be. The flashbacks all told an entertaining yarn, each one different than the last, and the setting seemed dreamy but familiar. Tim Burton masterfully directs what might be my favorite family friendly movie not directed by Wes Anderson, Burtons style is clear in each scene, and yet it feels unlike anything I've ever seen in my life. The whole film culminates into one of the best endings I have ever seen in a movie, somber and melancholy, but still bright and hopeful and leaving me hungry for more of the two hour movie that felt like 90 mins. I loved Bug Fish, and unlike most movies I rate this high, this one is family friendly and really never has a dull moment despite its dialogue driven nature and lack of action scenes.
October 8, 2016
This is one of the best movies I've ever seen, and by far Tim Burton's best. The film's logic is so inspired and so well executed, that it actually bothers me that critics seem to be mixed about this movie. It's emotional without being cheap, the cinematography is pitch perfect, Danny Elfman is a god as usual, and the story is just so so good. It's near perfect if you ask me.
September 10, 2016
A perfect script for the likes of Tim Burton. McGregor is excellent in his role as is most of the cast.
September 3, 2016
One of my favorite movies of all time. Delightfully strange sequences, handsome voiceovers, touching stories, and unbeatable acting.
August 18, 2016
Very confusing and doesn't make sense until the very end.
August 16, 2016
Has to be my favorite Tim Burton film of all time. Profound, magical, timeless & literally beyond perfect with a stellar cast to match.
August 14, 2016
If you don't share this movie with your sons, you are a fool. Great flick
½ August 7, 2016
A more fairy-taly Tim Burton, a serious theme handled with comedy.
July 17, 2016
When people complain that all of Tim Burton's movies are the same, just quietly direct them to this movie and they will come to you with a tearful apology.
½ July 4, 2016
Telling tall tales as true life adventures often enough & exclusively sincerely enough will tend to make them effectively true. True to you. As true as you can be to others.
½ June 21, 2016
An enriching and heartwarming tale of love, not just between a man falling in love with a women, but a man finding love with his son. The story telling was incredible and I felt as if I was inside the story the whole time. This was truly a great experience
June 16, 2016
Burton's best film. One of my favorites.
½ June 14, 2016
Good kind of strange.
June 11, 2016
My favorite movie of all time.
½ May 10, 2016
A movie with grand visuals and great storytelling, but it doesn't take away from the strong themes of love, family, and loss.
½ April 30, 2016
Big Fish is another Burton masterpiece.
April 18, 2016
Tim Burton's Forrest Gump with great drama and powerful performances from Albert Finney and Ewan MacGregor
½ April 14, 2016
So beautifully directed. The setting and the characters are everything!
April 3, 2016
So, this movie... It isn't very good. Personally, I believe it's one of those movies where the director puts good effects before a good story, and that isn't the way to make a movie. There is a lot of good actors and actresses in this movie, but they don't really seem invested in the story at all. Maybe because there was no real story to begin with. The book is a true masterpiece, but the movie heavily underestimates the potential of what could have been a brilliant movie. I'm sorry, Tim Burton. Try again...
March 22, 2016
I loved this movie. Great story and acting. Classic.