Big Fish - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Big Fish Reviews

½ August 8, 2017
Tim Burton's Forrest Gump with great drama and powerful performances from Albert Finney and Ewan MacGregor
½ July 11, 2017
Everything is spectacular except for the non-stories. The stories are amazing and fascinating, but once you come back to the real world, it can be a little boring, and disappointing. But rest is awesome. So yeah. Watch it.
½ June 29, 2017
A rare sentimental piece from Tim Burton, who ditches his usual gothic flair for something not grounded per se, considering the wildly fantastical theme of the source material, but something less goofy and more human. It's not particularly groundbreaking, but the charismatic pairing of Ewan McGregor and Albert Finney as young and old versions of the same character is so entertaining, and the conclusion really does hit hard. One of Burton's stronger outings as a director, and solid feel-good entertainment as a whole.
½ June 15, 2017
Entertaining. Not my style but still entertaining. I don't really like mythical stuff. Definitely more entertaining than Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Edward Scissorhands. It was also VERY RACIST. Everybody in the movie was white and the only Asians were doing karate..... Wow.
May 18, 2017
Beautiful, heartwarming and insightful. This is Tim Burton's finest work and a masterpiece in it's own right .
May 6, 2017
Edward Bloom's tales are magical, funny, and are accompanied with beautiful scenery and visual flair. The wondrous worlds depicted in Edward's stories, as well as the colorful characters depicted in them are just stunning. These feel so real because every tiny detail is fully realized, and perfectly placed to create one ginormous beauty. Yes, this is still a fantasy film. However, in the grand scheme of things, it is also a love story, in addition to being a dramedy. This is a mix of many different genres, and I love every minute of it. This film is perfection to me.
April 23, 2017
Good storytelling, some dumb parts. Kinda sad, dad fabricates most stories to an extent
March 24, 2017
A beautifully written and directed story and movie. The actors were brilliant. A charming and delightful watch.
March 20, 2017
I expected alot when I saw the trailer for this, but was let down completely. This film has the same problem as 'Science Of Sleep' in that the protagonist who's dream-world the viewer sees is completely selfish, ignorant and unlikeable.
½ February 26, 2017
Big Fish is a fantastical and touching film, with a charming Ewan McGregor performance and Tim Burton's imaginative story elements and imagery.
January 7, 2017
4 stars last time - I enjoyed the magical realism and humble-but-heartfelt core of the story. I want to see how I react to it now that I'm older.
½ December 20, 2016
52%
Too crappy and feel good excessive. The film is as silly and irritating as the word can be, it's fantasy part is nothing but irritating and the father-son tale is nothing but unrealistic. However, it's as Tim Burtany as any of his other films. Johnny Depp is hugely missed in this senseless adventure as he would have made it more appropriate.
December 1, 2016
Beautiful movie, with lovely visuals and a really emotional story and charismatic characters.
November 30, 2016
CLASSIC! On Blu-ray.
November 24, 2016
An interesting treatment of the impact of storytelling on a man's relationship with his dying father.
November 2, 2016
Lots of adventures and imaginative fantasy, though the story really isnt compelling, and it really dont feels like Burton either.
October 17, 2016
Big Fish is directed by Tim Bourton and features an all-star cast. Will Bloom, played by Billy Crudup, is back talking with his father just days before he dies, and he wants to separate fact from fiction from his tall-tale spouting dad he feels like he barley knows. The film reviews some of Edward Blooms famous adventures in all its glory, and along with the audience, Will Bloom finds out the stories may not be completely made up after all. Big Fish is one of the most heartwarming movies I've ever seen, plenty of memorable moments are filmed, as well as some truly hilarious moments. The entire cast was amazing, everyone was just a little over the top, but not too much where it was annoying, and all the characters were satisfyingly pleasant, even the villains seemed strangely good natured in a menacing way. The plot was excellent, and the dialogue hilarious at times, and dramatic when it needed to be. The flashbacks all told an entertaining yarn, each one different than the last, and the setting seemed dreamy but familiar. Tim Burton masterfully directs what might be my favorite family friendly movie not directed by Wes Anderson, Burtons style is clear in each scene, and yet it feels unlike anything I've ever seen in my life. The whole film culminates into one of the best endings I have ever seen in a movie, somber and melancholy, but still bright and hopeful and leaving me hungry for more of the two hour movie that felt like 90 mins. I loved Bug Fish, and unlike most movies I rate this high, this one is family friendly and really never has a dull moment despite its dialogue driven nature and lack of action scenes.
October 8, 2016
This is one of the best movies I've ever seen, and by far Tim Burton's best. The film's logic is so inspired and so well executed, that it actually bothers me that critics seem to be mixed about this movie. It's emotional without being cheap, the cinematography is pitch perfect, Danny Elfman is a god as usual, and the story is just so so good. It's near perfect if you ask me.
September 10, 2016
A perfect script for the likes of Tim Burton. McGregor is excellent in his role as is most of the cast.
September 3, 2016
One of my favorite movies of all time. Delightfully strange sequences, handsome voiceovers, touching stories, and unbeatable acting.