Definitely, Maybe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Definitely, Maybe Reviews

½ March 26, 2018
A creative and new way to tell a story- the Princess Bride for a different era.
February 13, 2018
nifty little movie - a cut above the rest of its genre - ryan reynolds is turning out to be quite the actor isnt he?
½ February 2, 2018
Loved it a lot. Need to revisit it in the near future.
Antonius Block
½ January 5, 2018
I've always had a soft spot for this one, and well done romantic comedies in general. Yes, they are lightning rods for criticism, sometimes bordering on schmaltz and/or formulaic. However, 'Definitely, Maybe' avoids all that reasonably well, and is as entertaining for me as the classic films of this genre from yesteryear, with a script peppered with funny lines, a great cast, and an endearing plot. A young girl (Abigail Breslin) demands that her father (Ryan Reynolds) tell her about the time he met her mother, and why it is that despite falling in love then, they're now heading for divorce. Reynolds agrees under the condition he won't reveal which of the women in the story of his past ultimately became her mother. Told in a flashback, we see his early years working on the Bill Clinton presidential campaign, and the women in his life (Elizabeth Banks, Isla Fisher, and Rachel Weisz). All of the principals turn in strong performances, with Isla Fisher in particular dialing up her considerable charms. The subplot of collecting old editions of 'Jane Eyre' with inscriptions in them, along with the scene with the line "I kept the book because it was the only thing that I had left of you" is touching. The proposal scene in Central Park is also fantastic. Director Adam Brooks captures some great shots in New York and includes a great soundtrack. This is a smart, funny, and entertaining rom-com.
½ September 28, 2017
It was nice to see ryan reynolds in something "serious" like kal penn did in namesake......

I really liked this one.......
August 21, 2017
Entertaining romantic comedy with a solid cast.
½ August 6, 2017
Not bad as these things go. Respectable although unspectacular romcom. 6.9 I'll say.
½ May 1, 2017
A sweet enough Ryan Reynolds rom/mildly-com film. It's basically How I Met Your Mother, the Movie.
½ March 27, 2017
An unlikely romantic movie beginning with a pending divorce conversation with father & daughter and ending with... well, I don't want to spoil it for you. A storytelling session ensues in the form of TV show "How I Met Your Mother", with the mystery being revealed in the end. I thought it was clever and comedicly written. Perfectly cast and entertaining. It's not a 'feel good' movie, per se, but it does have some positive moments that shine out of loneliness and sadness that we can often be burdened with. It felt real and I appreciate that in movies. Rating: 7.5/10
March 3, 2017
unusual structure & plenty of smiles, especially from Maya
½ March 3, 2017
Really liked, well acted, and good story.
½ February 14, 2017
Phenomenal acting by Abigail Breslin, marred somewhat by a weak ending. Ryan Reynolds handsomeness abounds- though, oddly, no shirtless scenes!
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 14, 2017
I own this and have seen it 4 times.
½ November 14, 2016
A cute little film with a few ideas of its own.
½ November 6, 2016
Ryan Reynolds and Abigail Breslin give excellent performances that outshine everyone else's good performances, the direction is very good, and the pacing was really great. The writing is surprisingly funny and clever at times with a good plot, but the end felt a little cut short, and the characters struggle because there's a little too much cliche, but still a great set up! I think I could watch this many times.
November 5, 2016
Some movies work better for you based on where you are in your life. For any guy that is married. The story is one you can relate to and love.
October 13, 2016
One of the best, and honest, romantic comedies in the genre.
September 27, 2016
Ryan Reynolds is definitely a very good actor in this quite surprising narrative approach of the romantic genre
September 22, 2016
Sweet but sometimes heartless, clever but sometimes boring, "Definitely, Maybe" is surely better than 90% of the romantic comedies we saw in the 00's... But it maybe doesn't mean anything...