Mister Lonely - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mister Lonely Reviews

January 5, 2016
Spring Breakers não representa Harmony Korine.
October 31, 2015
meaningless tosh but hilarious, unintentionally, of course. The best flying nun film of the year, though.
½ April 6, 2015
One of those "the damndest thing" kind of movies: I won't stop you from seeing it, but it's just too damn weird to reccomend, and not always in a good way. I may be in the minority in thinking Korine's improved quite a bit as a storyteller since Gummo, but it's still no excuse for just plopping Herzog sporadically throughout. Was he doing one of his docu-fiction pieces on fying nuns and Korine just had to use it for some doggone reason in the picture? I'm having trouble with that - although Herzog, as, yes, a Latin-American priest, counseling a man who's had an affair repair for his sins is something interesting.

PS: Samantha Morton's breasts... how'd that happen?!
January 9, 2015
One my favorites from the last 10 years
½ December 24, 2014
Pretensioso à brava, algo irritante e ocasionalmente afectado por tiques arty: "Mister Lonely" acumula todos esses defeitos e, ao mesmo tempo, é talvez o melhor filme de Harmony Korine desde "Gummo", ou a sua criação mais troll (adorável e estimável apesar do aspecto). Assim acontece não só porque o seu cerne melodramático é profundamente enternecedor, mas também devido a uma muito convincente comparação entre imitadores de celebridades e freiras, na forma como dedicam as suas vidas à adoração de algo. Harmony Korine, mesmo sem evitar um discurso acidentado que tem tudo a ver com ele próprio, atreve-se a considerar a transição espiritual (rumo ao vazio ou não) como tema para os seus filmes ("Spring Breakers" voltaria a isso). Fá-lo com as mãos afundadas na massa e tão destemidamente como os autores que resistem ao tempo. "Mister Lonely" deixou-me em paz com Harmony Korine.
½ September 20, 2014
This movie is torture to watch.. Honestly if you want to pull a good prank, make someone watch this!
½ July 6, 2014
Certainly, the film is not very good. But, even when his work is not very good -- Harmony Korine always manages to create something of note. For Korine fans only.
½ January 7, 2014
This was one of the worst movies I've seen in a while. I mean, I really had high hopes for it too - I'm a big Harmony Korine fan. The only scene that's worth watching is when the Michael Jackson impersonator performs in front of a group of elderly people in a nursing home. I thought that was a pretty good scene. But the rest of it was horrible.
December 17, 2013
Beautiful, and Dull. But that dullness embraces the beauty and makes the images and dialogue more powerful.
An underrated film that I wish can be seen more often.
½ December 11, 2013
A beautiful film that harnesses such originality.
Call it dull and pointless, but damn does it have heart.
November 8, 2013
It's so original and unconventional, and has so many memorable scenes and shots, especially Red Riding hood song! I think it's a bit underdeveloped and the ideas (if there are any) didn't probably come across, but there's beauty and life in this rawness.
½ October 5, 2013
Although it might drag at times, the movie still has some of the most beautiful scenes ever put on film, easily-relatable themes, and very interesting characters.
October 2, 2013
The end of innocence, yet some strange kind of hope.
½ August 19, 2013
Harmony Korine doesn't come easy to most. It's not that he's a bitter pill to swallow; you just never know if he's being serious or fucking with you, or both. This year's "Spring Breakers" is the closest he came to mainstream notoriety. To critics the rambling randomness of his 1997 debut "Gummo" was where his foray into pissing people off first began. "Mister Lonely" fits somewhere between these two ends, toting more of a through-line like "Breakers'" but with the provocative (or pretentious) scattershot imagery and empty, wandering camerawork of "Gummo".

The thing is it kind of works, at least I think it does. Korine can't ever go too long without trying your patience by, well, going too long, but mostly it's worth it because it actually leads somewhere. "Mister Lonely" is wonderfully shot and dreamlike, with more than a few talented character actors (Diego Luna, Denis Lavant, Werner fucking Herzog) always at its disposal. "Lonely" may not be much more than a trippy ride through an island of misfit toys, but for all its avant-garde kitsch Korine explores the highs and perils of life lived skin deep with outrageous soul.
½ July 26, 2013
I picked this up because of the lead actors-- I love Diego Luna (he's adorable) and Samantha Morton (she's an amazing actress)-- and the quirky, unique plot. It's certainly as weird as it sounds but unfortunately it's not as cutely odd as I had hoped. It's just strange and uninteresting to follow after a while. The soundtrack also lends to the bizarro world this film showcases.
½ July 24, 2013
Unlike any film you'll ever see. Unconventional & Intoxicating
May 5, 2013
BRILLIANT. A perfect representation of the eternal question "Who are we?". Are we what we represent? Are we what we try or wish to be? And finally: Is there a god? A beautiful and touching reflection on human individuality. An unforgettable masterpiece from Harmony Korine.
May 5, 2013
It had its longeurs, but it was decent enough. Samantha Morton is always enjoyable. Is there a deep message in this movie? Eleanor thinks it's about being yourself rather than hiding behind a contrived persona. A funny mix of fun fantasy and ghastly realism. Worth wasting the time on.
April 17, 2013
Co-written and directed by Harmony Korine (Gummo (1997), Julien Donkey-Boy (1999) and Spring Breakers (2012)), Korine had been away for a few years trying to overcome a massive heroin addiction, which he did. Here, he wanted to explore the culture of celebrity impersonators, and what lengths they go to. It's a film which owes a big debt of gratitude to the films of Nicolas Roeg, both with casting and in visual terms. In Paris, we meet Michael Jackson (Diego Luna) who impersonates Michael Jackson, and he makes a meagre living from this lifestyle, but then he meets Marilyn Monroe (Samantha Morton) who invites Michael to a commune in the Highlands of Scotland, here we meet Marilyn's husband Charlie Chaplin (Denis Lavant), The Pope (James Fox), The Queen (Anita Pallenberg), and Madonna (Melita Morgan). But, it's run alongside another story, which involves a Nun (Britta Gartner) in South America, who falls out of a plane flown by Father Umbrillo (Werner Herzog), and as she falls, she prays to God, and somehow survives the fall. It's a very weird film indeed, but it doesn't outstay it's welcome, even if bits of it do drag, but compared to what Korine did before, this is very tame and carefree, but it does have some good ideas on display, but there's no fireworks to move the story along.