Splice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Splice Reviews

July 20, 2016
This was a very good movie and "different" than others you might see. I liked it a lot.
½ July 14, 2016
This movie feels like a more emotional Species (Donaldson 1995). The first 30 minutes or so are interesting but, as the storyline unfolds, it becomes more and more ludicrous.
July 11, 2016
Weird. And not in a good way.
½ June 19, 2016
Interesting, creature was cute at first. Kinda disturbing when it banged the girl.
½ May 26, 2016
Rips open the tender subject of genetic modification, and takes the concept about 200 feet over the line. It's a very uncomfortable film to watch because it brings you face to face with very difficult questions.
½ March 5, 2016
DONT FUCKING WATCH THIS MOVIE
½ January 22, 2016
It starts off interestingly enough, but descends from weird to sleazy to dumb horror cliche. It falls off the rails when Adrian Brody screws the experiment, literally. It makes no sense and is just twisted.
½ December 30, 2015
It was disapointing to see such an intriguing and interesting premise develop into an entertaining story and then get destroyed radically in the last 10 minutes. The climax just felt wrong, like it didn't belong with the rest of the movie. I wish the writers had done something different with the ending, but I have to praise the film for being so enjoyable up until that point.
December 23, 2015
yo suelo desayunarme malos titulos, pero este es un puto ascoooooooooo
½ November 10, 2015
A deeply thought-provoking film about the limits of science and the creation of artificial life. Proposes the viewer to question their original opinion on the science of genetics, and what is worth paying for the prize of knowing how far life can come. With some of these being confronting as well as sympathetic.
Splice may have screwed with my head in more ways than one, it explores the emotions and responsibilities that come with the creation of life.
½ November 5, 2015
In a sea of remakes, one film breathes new life into the horror genre.
November 3, 2015
A horrifying cautionary tale. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should (including seeing this film).
October 29, 2015
I love the concept of the movie and I must say I understand all the logics of the script and all. It has a very promising start indeed but then because of the consistent logics behind it, I then started to loathe this movie to a certain extent that it makes me want to puke. Now I just hate this one and wish I have never seen Splice before. It is beyond R Rated...
½ October 22, 2015
It is frustrating to see such a fantastic idea and amazing development lead to a disappointing ending. The whole film builds as an intelligent and compelling sci-fi drama until Vincenzo Natali finally decides in the last fifteen minutes that it should be in fact a stupid horror story.
October 14, 2015
This was okay. It felt like a mix between Date With an Angel, Existence, and Species.
½ September 14, 2015
This is like a cross between Hollow Man and Alien, whereby a cross breed of human and beast results in the formation of Dren, a young feline form that is ageing at a rapid rate. Like most females it demonstrates a very unpredictable but alluring nature that intrigue the two scientists that helped create it and continued to allow its development. Unlike most women though, this one has a literal wicked sting in its tail in addition to the characteristic of being able to change sex as part of its development process. Such a rapid transformation then becomes well outside the domains of the scientists control, meaning their undercover secret is at risk of being exposed. Admittedly the enticement of achieving such a scientific breakthrough has seduced the two lead characters, whose passion for their creation gets even stronger as they become engrossed in a parent like bond (quite frankly to the point of a gross extreme). I'm not normally a fan of heavy sci-fi features but this was quite an original storyline, and the subtle horror of it kept me intrigued. It wasn't predictable in the direction it was going to go, which is a characteristic that appeals to me, but I guess at times it become too far fetched for its own good. The on screen relationship was slightly odd between the two, and it felt like more of a brother / sister combination than them being partners, but given the concept of this, perhaps I was reading too much into the inbred theming. I enjoyed it as a one off, but was not completely sold by it, and certainly wouldn't rush to see any sequel or similar adaption if it were to be released.
September 12, 2015
This is something worth definitely checking.
August 29, 2015
Superstar genetic engineers Clive and Elsa specialize in splicing DNA from different animals to create incredible hybrids. Now they want to use human DNA in a hybrid that could revolutionize science and medicine. But, when the company that funds their research forbids it, Clive and Elsa secretly take their boldest experimentation underground -- risking their careers by pushing the boundaries of science to serve their own curiosity and ambition. The result is Dren, an amazing, strangely beautiful creature of uncommon intelligence and an array of unexpected physical developments. At first, Dren exceeds their wildest dreams. But as she grows and learns at an accelerated rate, her existence threatens to become their worst nightmare
August 26, 2015
It 's script lacks the coherence and subtlety for a sci-fi thriller. But Splice is still a unique and smart flick that earns a decent place in the rooster.