Reviews

• Mar 18, 2022

Ok i guess I'm or was on a rom-com spree. But this hit hard. Joseph Gordon Levitt starring 50/50 turns out to be a solid movie with equal amounts of humor, realism and despair. The realism depicted is pretty fresh. Certain character scenes done are exactly how you'd react when someone you care about gets hurt. How one can be ignorant to be the people who care them. Anna Kendrik is in this and she's just adorable and she's a med student so thats an automatic win for me. Wish we could have had a bit more of her. The death and that despair has been handled perfectly it makes you cry at the perfect moments. Joseph Gordon Levitt really made me think what would happen if I were in that situation and how I'd have to handle it. Seth Rogen is equal part good and equally on the nose but he provides a good balance to the movie. Yeah, this movie is pretty good. I RECOMMEND to watch it. No regrets. Thanks for reading. See you later✌

• Mar 11, 2022

Another "based on a true story" and I really don't wanna sound like an asshole. But speaking as a cancer survivor myself, what makes Adam's story more important than mine? Why does his story of survival warrant a movie over the thousands of other survivors? Also, they never explained why he shaved his head when the Kemo causes temporary hair loss. But my biggest issue is the pacing. God this thing is SLOOOW! It has a few chuckles but it is SLOW! Almost to the point of boring. Because for something billed as a comedy, because of Seth Rogan, it's mostly a drama. Bordering on melodrama at times. Overall, it's not good. It's not horrible either. It could have been WAY better but it could have been a lot worse. I can't fail it but I can give a very indifferent, Meh.

• Mar 02, 2022

50/50 (A+) This movie surprised me with it's heavy topics it handles and how it still feels so heartwarming. The cast here of Rogen, Gordon-Levitt, and Kendrick all do a good job of giving a healthy balance to the humor and drama in the film. I thought this film would be more like other Rogen comedies such as pineapple express but I was surprised to find a lot more drama here. Sure there are scenes where Rogen will go on his little comedy tangents but they feel authentic and like a real crazy buddy you might have in real life. The chemistry between the lead of Joseph Gordon-Levitt and his therapist Anna Kendrick feels weird and awkward at ifrst but slowly swells into something special. Cancer is a topic that can be hard to cover in a comedy because so many people face or have loved ones who have faced cancer. Somehow this film navigates the scenes dealing with the serious tones of cancer really well while still making light of the leads crappy situations he is always in. The main character's life could be seen as hard or unfair but the characters do a good job of still pushing forward and finding things to be happy and joyful for. I found myself laughing, cringing and getting emotional while watching 50/50. Johnathan Levine really captured something special here. Sure the plot might not have the most grand or shocking story arches ever but the way the film feels so grounded in reality and the way we as humans find humor even in tough situations was special to watch.

• Dec 10, 2021

Not my kind of film. sorry not sorry

Not my kind of film. sorry not sorry

• Dec 08, 2021

One of 1000 other cancer movies. There was nothing to set it apart.

One of 1000 other cancer movies. There was nothing to set it apart.

• Dec 07, 2021

Honestly, I didn't really like it as much as other people did. I don't know why but I just didn't find it funny and didn't find it entertaining enough.

• Dec 01, 2021

A good film about a difficult topic, it maneuvers between jokes and drama with finesse. The stellar cast from Joseph Gordon-Levitt to Anjelica Huston, Anna Kendrick, and Seth Rogan delivers a Home Run. At the end of the day people like to laugh at tragedy. It makes them feel better.

• Sep 13, 2021

This film can only be described as a highly enjoyable, heartfelt trial by fire. I think that the main reason this movie is as funny as it is, as gut-wrenching as it is, and as special as it is is it's blend of chill buddy comedy and romance after breakup story under the solemn shroud of looming cancer. I was struck by the absolute futility, the despair that Adam must be feeling. The scene before the day of his definitive surgery, after fellow cancer patient had recently passed away, after he has expressed how tired of being sick he is, he wants to drive, he angrily kicks Kyle out of the car and calming down he calls Katherine finally saying wistfully "you would've made a good girlfriend". After the build up in the first part of the film that wanders through the ever worsening prospect of Adam's life with humorous, sweet and sad predicaments, this moment of despair, this realization of his loss of hope is heartbreaking, what could be the last night with his best friend to end in a fight, to have to leave the prospect of a good relationship, all of this, developed with the air of light comedy and romance, makes for an emotionally crushing window into the inferno that is terminal illness. I'm sure to those who have gone through similar this movie rang true as well, I have been in surgery and I had the same fear as Adam of waking up before the surgery was over. That along with the high emotions the main characters and we feel coupled with the completely normal procedure carried out by the hospital hit hard. But what makes this movie a highly enjoyable window is that it doesn't just show the sorrow of Adam's struggles, it shows the good that a trial by fire can do. Adam is driven down the path of not only bettering his life, but finding the good things he had all along. The moment where he sits next to his mom and asks her how here day was, when he sees the book that Kyle was reading about cancer, he lets go completely of his relationship with Rachael. All of these are poignant moments of growth for the better, but they were hard to come by which makes them all the better. While I choked up a lot in this movie, the parts I loved the most were the genuine moments with Kyle. His bumbling around (and his being played by Seth Rogan) make it seem like the character is just some comic relief that also just brings out the "friend" aspect in Adam, getting into misadventures together. I love that he's more than just that. That Seth Rogan got a great character to play, that there's a friend who I know genuinely cares about his buddy to the very end even when they fight and get on each others nerves they're there for each other. That's the kind of friend I want to be. Add to the performances Joseph Gordon-Levitt making the most of every frame with evident anguish under the surface and Anna Kendrick's uncanny ability to look nervous and awkward and there's excellent performances all across the board. Overall this movie was the good kind of rollercoaster, there were some slow and straight sections for sure but they were eclipsed fully by the ups and downs around them. I laughed, I cried, it moved me.

• Aug 24, 2021

Although it does juggle the comedy and drama quite well, 50/50 starts to wear thin near the second half. The film starts to linger longer than it should and lessens the effect of the initial effects.

• Jul 27, 2021

I was expecting something a little more light when it says "from the creators of superbad", but it was still a good movie.