54 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

54 Reviews

½ June 14, 2017
It is hard to believe that they managed to make a movie about glamour and music (with a great soundtrack) into something so uninteresting and vapid - to the point that ask ourselves why we should care or why these poorly-developed characters would even consider each other friends. (Theatrical version) (2.5/5)

Mark Christopher's newly-restored original cut is remarkably different from the 1998 theatrical version, especially with regard to what it wants to say. (Director's Cut, full review on filmotrope. com) (4/5)
March 11, 2017
It doesn't do anything to be liked.
½ December 25, 2016
What I got to say about "54" is that it's a terrible movie from beginning to the end. "It's boring and very dull of a movie." The performances by the cast is horrendous. The directing and screenplay by Mark Christopher is incredibly poor. The big problem hands down is the writing. "There isn't any plot development and no character development whatsoever. - Big Problem!" The cinematography and choreography could be much better. The score is bad. Finally, the effects are not the best either "I have to report that "54" is a total disaster of a movie and it's not a must see."
September 1, 2016
Very informative about the famous Studio 54. I watched it like an education on the famous nightclub.
½ June 30, 2016
A somewhat less Disneyfied tale of 70s excess than the original release, and one that avoids the fairytale ending. Nonetheless, it's still notably sanitised, and at best it's a bog standard modern take on the Orpheus tale with not a lot to add.
January 25, 2016
Wow.. i can't believe i liked this move 18 years ago. Some mighty bad writing and acting going on.
½ January 21, 2016
This film stars: Ryan Phillippe, Salma Hayek, Neve Campbell and Mike Myers. It's a very slow film at it's best. It doesn't really speed up until about fifteen minutes in. The acting was okay and the storyline could've been way better.
The only thing keeping it on it's toes is the both the direction and the acting. I could follow the story at least it had that going for it. It's really an awful picture if you look at it from an audience point of view. From a movie critic point of view just okay. The style was lacking a bit and the look of the film seemed like the color blue. I think this is a movie to skip for moviegoers. I wish I could've been to some screenings for this movie to warn moviegoers ahead of time.
½ October 18, 2015
This Movie Really Goes Nowhere and Stays On A Flat Line All The Way Through, Mike Myers Was Ok as Steve Rubell And The Style Along With Flashy Looks Of The Reality In The Film Were Ok But not Great, Overall The Movie Was Pretty Bad And Delivered Many Bad Performances By The People In It Plus The Story Is Shallow And A Waste Of Time In Many Parts Also, Plus Being Very Weird And Really Dumb Founded Also. "Two Thumbs Down" Its Not A Great Film At all.
June 14, 2015
The director's cut is definitely more interesting and a lot more fun than the original theatrical release.
½ June 12, 2015
loved it. Don't see it straight.
June 10, 2015
All the stars go to Ryan Phillippe. :-p
June 5, 2015
I love it and it's not as bad as most say. The Director's cut is better, though.
May 14, 2015
If the 70's were as lame as this movie they'd of never made this movie.
½ May 6, 2015
Interesting to look into one of the wildest parties ever. But overall it's plodding and just to by the numbers drama about excess...
½ March 21, 2015
This film does not have any point. Plus, it's boring.
½ February 25, 2015
Aside from Mike Myers' fine performance as club founder Steve Rubell and a solid soundtrack, 54 is a mostly forgettable, Boogie Nights-lite drama that emphasizes more on meaningless lead characters than the infamous club or its owner..
February 14, 2015
So what if the drama is a little cheesy. The 70s were about fun and this semi-biographical film shows that side of it. It's just too bad it couldn't mix both the drama and the fun equally. Mike Myers performance is what makes the film.
January 2, 2015
It's like a gayer "Boogie Nights." Ryan Phillipe spends half the movie with his shirt off and Mike Myers basically plays a SNL character. Salma Hayek was sure hot back in the late '90s as was Never Cambell...but this movie is a dud.
September 24, 2014
The movie may not have captured the true essence of the 54 era, but at least someone was willing to give it a try.
September 13, 2014
Dreadfully boring, and if I have to hear that God awful "If you could read my mind" song one more time, I may murder someone.