A Fantastic Woman (Una mujer fantástica) Reviews

• Apr 01, 2019

Through the eyes of the victim, in so many ways, we experience the chilling reality of a woman in a difficult situation after the death of her departed lover. She does her best to incorporate fantasy in her life, despite the hardships. A 'fantastic' work for cinematography and acting by Daniela Vega.

• Jan 15, 2019

A fantastic movie! Such a powerful storyline and fantastic acting! Daniela Vega plays a powerful character with finesse!

• Jan 04, 2019

At the end of the day, what this films serves is a humanizing look into the life of this woman, who is not only trans but also in grief. There were plenty of opportunities for Lelio to indulge in the politics of displaying her trans identity, genitals and all, but he doesn't. Because this film isn't about that, and it's refreshing for a film to not only star an actual trans actor but to also focus on the livelihood of its trans characters. The final scene is a gorgeous and revitalizing performance by Marina, who, through singing, is able to move forward. Read full review here: jane-han.com/blog/2018/2/13/film-review-a-fantastic-woman-2017

• Nov 13, 2018

Do not be alarmed, Although it is concerned with prejudice and cruelty it is not a preachy film. It is populated by real characters not cardboard cut outs. The villains of the piece have their reasons. And above all it is about resilience and love.

• Sep 21, 2018

Daniela Vega gives us a genuine and vulnerable performance.

Daniela Vega gives us a genuine and vulnerable performance.

• Sep 20, 2018

The foreign movie winner at the Oscars and an important one. We get to know Marina. A transgender that has a relationship with Orlando, a man twice her age. His family is not very fond of her and when he dies, while spending some private time with Marina, the witch hunt is on. Chile's first winner I think but it's not the best film this year for me. Sure, it's a OK story and it looks great. It has a message and packs some guts as it's theme is still a taboo for many people. People never accept others, you know. Especially if you stick out from the crowd. The problem here is the clichees and the acting mainly. Tones and color are big plusses, but otherwise it's mainly OK. It also strikes me as a bit boring. I'm not a transmovie expert, but I remember "Transamerica" as a way better film, even if I haven't seen it in at least ten years. 6 out of 10 181's.

• Sep 15, 2018

stupid shit movie, i wish i can travel time and tell my own self dont watch this. i give -10 /10

• Sep 12, 2018

Una mujer fantastica es una historia diferente y bastante sensible que realmente logra sobresalir de manera interesante, no es una historia complicada pero si logra ser bastante cautivadora.

• Sep 07, 2018

I had an interesting experience with A Fantastic Woman. I didn't know a thing about the movie when I went into it other than that it had decent reviews and it was foreign language. The film is about a trans woman who's partner dies. He is an older man who's ex-wife and children hate the protagonist Marina. Marina being trans is a big part of the film but not that big of a part of her character. Notably, I did not even realize that Marina was transgender until a different character brings it up. I had to clue in to it. Because Marina's gender identity is only a struggle when other people make it so. Her actual conflict in the movie is dealing with the death of the man she loves, and the struggles of being a gender non-binary person in the world today is a problem for everyone else. Daniela Vega is incredible in this movie, she is so compelling and sympathetic. She often says very little but is able to portray a lot. The stand-out moments of the film are when the director really runs wild with it, there is some amazing imagery in the form of a strange music video sequence in the middle, a fascinating section where Marina walks against an increasingly powerful wind, and the absolutely chilling scenes where Marina sees visions of her dead lover. Unfortunately these very interesting bits of direction tend to show up out of nowhere and cause the movie to feel a little inconsistent. I'm also not quite sure how to feel about certain parts of the narrative. There are scenes where violence is perpetrated against her, stripping her of her agency in the process. The character sort of becomes an object being acted upon, which may be the point, but one could argue that it's exploitative of film tropes and real life issues. There is another scene in which Marina has to pretend to be a man in order to get to a men's locker room. The scene ends in disappointment, and Marina has degraded herself for nothing. It's a powerful scene within the context of the story, but is it problematic outside of that context? Does it reinforce the idea that trans women are just men? I don't know, I'm far from an expert on the subject. But I would love to hear some discussion around this film from some people more well versed on the topic.

• Aug 09, 2018

I wished they'd remake it with some changes so it'd be a more fair movie to advocate for without throwing in like making it seem okay to abandon a family because it's not fair to the transgender cause if you act as if it should Trump another cause. I liked the couple until half an hour in until I became neutral realizing he had a family and I stayed neutral to both parties until later. The ex wife or still legally the wife because it had been less than one year, was very gracious I thought initially because it seemed they could talk to each other and then she barred her from the funeral. I wanted to keep liking Orlando, but he seemed to comfortable for having abandoned his family in less than one year so they ignored the family grieving over the family over being left getting closure over it, so I found it one sided and thought the ex even more gracious. I see divorced couples show up for their children and they're great with each other, but they didn't split up over cheating and took time in between. The divorce seemed to have change people instead of leaving them preserved, which is what happens without closure, so Marina became less fantastic to me like if you want to leave you just blame the family and play the victim. They didn't seem merciful towards the family if they gave the som's boyhiod dog away that he slept with when they were in power. So besides the way she was marginalized, if I ignored that, it became sort of like a movie how the gold digger is paying the price for not respecting the family's grieving period and need for closure over their father abandoning them when the tables are turned and less about transgender, like saying it's ok to wteck a family. I was happy for the couple until 40 minutes in and found out they had a family and tried to wander why the wife acted like a left woman instead of someone who had time in between bc she had showed up and talked which is nice and gracious on her part showing her maturity till saying no funeral for you bc of my daughter so I stayed neutral until I gathered what happened and I'm like no no nooo ... Marina is looking less fantastic and so is Orlando and not so nice, but both avoidant of their actions and wrong doing but when she's left alone suddenly after getting her dream apt in her suspected gold digging and a waitress no doubt, sorry, in her fantasy instead of reality, the tables turn and she's suddenly like what about my closure or my grieving meanwhile they stayed in their fantasy where she doesn't know responsibility yet or what hard work gets and putting time and work into something bc she think waitress singers get you a fantasy man.... while never saying I'm sorry I didn't acknowledge caused you grievance without closure so it's like me me me...:: so I was like kind of legally.... the tables turned and the family is like I get my family dog back who I slept with as a boy growing up that my own dad gave to you after just meeting you. So remake it, bc the ppl who waited and were fantastic and classy, well they show up at kids play together and had time in between and so it wasn't cheating and they are gracious with their kids and other spaces having moved on and did their grieving so they're quite a bit cooler than Orlando and marina in their fantasy. It's like saying it's okay to leave a little girl because Marina is young and needs taking care of. They were crap to them when the family was at their Mercy and gave their dog away and now it's the family turn and they're demanding it.... no one seemed entirely evil or good and it would've been more fair to show the family before it was split apart and see if they were nicer because even Marina changed and lost her class at times.