A Few Best Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Few Best Men Reviews

½ March 20, 2012
Funny comedy down under about a British guy who meets and marries and Aussie girl and his 3 mates come for the stag party. Some good set ups and a good laugh in places. Better than quite a lot of the generic crap coming out of Hollywood, but not the funniest film ever.
½ June 15, 2015
Australia's version of American Pie, only w UK actors, and better. Minor plot and dialog issues, but overall its not really meant to be mindblowing- just a 80s homage to teen disaster movies.
½ May 19, 2015
Perhaps it's because I'm American, but I found this movie quite entertaining. This movie is far from being a comical masterpiece but I thought the actors were very genuine and easy to like. I didn't care much for the character Luke, but I thought Graham and Tom were a riot.
½ June 20, 2012
So mind numbingly dull I had to concentrate on the paint drying on the living room wall to stay awake.
June 14, 2012
Ugh, what a loser. The setup is over-the-top unbelievable, the four best friends are pathetic messups, and the comedy is only funny if you get a kick out of seeing drunken stupidness. There's too much raunch, too few laughs, and nothing seems to be real. It's a "mess up the wedding" plot-device, but we don't really care because we know nothing about these people. Best to leave it that way.
½ March 1, 2016
Sometimes when reviewing a film, its best to let the synopsis explain itself and when you have friends like these, who needs enemies?

When English lad David (Xavier Samuel) returns home from a six month trip abroad and announces to his three hapless London roommates that he is marrying his holiday romance Mia (Laura Brent) their reaction is less than enthused.

The silver lining to David's proposal is his brilliant idea to travel to his betrotheds homeland of Australia on the eve of the pending nuptials. Although feeling rather abandoned by their orphaned friend David, the resolutely single Tom (Kris Marshall), socially inept Graham (Kevin Bishop) and broken hearted Luke (Tim Draxl) loyally make the 10 and a half thousand mile trek with up-teen stopovers.

Once arriving on Australian soil, the boys split up and leave David to head off with Mia to her families federation-style estate overlooking the beautiful Blue Mountains. Greeted by her uptight emotional mother Barbara (Olivia Newton-John), her cubby fake-lesbian sister Daphne (Rebel Wilson), her forcefully ambitious senator father Jim Ramme (Johnathan Biggins) and his prize winning ram, Ramsey the magnificent; David becomes worried he may be in over his head.

But as Tom, Graham and Luke finally arrive; but only after making a pit-stop to semi-naked drug-dealer, Ray (Steve Le Marquand) to score a little pot for the Bachelor party, David's fears are ebbed.

However, waking on the big day, David's world begins to descend into chaos. Ramsey is loose in his room, covered in make-up and wearing bra and panties, Graham is stuck in a gimp mask with a suitcase is full of drugs and Luke is threatening to commit suicide after once again speaking to his estranged girlfriend back in England who dumped him for a guy missing a vital part of the male anatomy.

Best-man Tom comes to the rescue, promising to get everything sorted out and David should just worry about his vows; however things continue to go from bad to down-right dreadful. With his friends forcefully teaching him the true meaning of the phrase "for better or worse"; Can this really be the happiest day of David's life or the most painful?

In similar vein to The Hangover, Director Stephan Elliott's (The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert) A Few Best Men is a wacky and crass madcap boy's comedy jammed with humours mishaps ranging from the outrageous to the down-right ridiculous.

A wonderfully crafted script from Dean Craig (Death at a Funeral), this risqué and wild tale of a destination wedding gone horribly wrong simply explodes with pungently Australian visuals. From runaway floral arrangement to cocaine-filled condoms unwittingly swallowed by a sheep, the stella cast's energy is contagious and so is the cheeky rather than sordid laughs.

The Verdict: Striking balance between British and Australian humour, culture clash and bro-mance, this hilarious and riotously rude comedy proves the theory that although we may hold hope 'Holiday romances are meant to end at the airport, not the altar'. A corker of a feel-good and feel-grossed out film, this movie is guaranteed to get you laughing.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 03/02/2012
½ November 12, 2015
Really fun. Will watch again.
½ August 10, 2015
Soulless Hangover knockoff. Mildly entertaining, but overall stupid and lazy.
½ June 15, 2015
May 25, 2015
I thought this was pretty funny but it could have been somewhat better.
½ May 19, 2015
½ May 18, 2015
Not as terrible a movie as was to be expected considering that all it is is a series of worsening gross-out skits. Do not come into this movie expecting anything more than a dudebro film with a lot of raunchiness attached to it. There's not much of a story, none whatsoever to speak of, other than David's parents having died and him wanting to be part of a family, even though he hasn't realized that his 'bros' have been his family all along. That's essentially all there is to the film's narrative. Minimal stuff honestly and it's not like they play it up throughout the entire film, just bits and pieces near the end of it. Dick jokes? Check. Shit jokes? Check. Misunderstandings with drug dealers? Check. Gay jokes? Check. Australian stereotypes? Check. Culture clashes? Check. Something nearing animal cruelty that's played for laughs? Check. Please stop me if you've seen any one of these things more than once. It is ever R-rated raunchy comedy that you've ever seen. It's not worse than the worst one, not by a country mile, but it obviously isn't any good. It has its moments, like almost every bad film has. but those don't amount to nearly enough to make the film good. The problem is that, much like these films, it's honestly a series of skits completely unrelated to the wedding that's going all around them. They try to convince you otherwise, but you know what's really going down. You could take all the gross-out skits, put them into a video compilation, without the context of the "story" and it would be the same exact movie we got WITH the context of the story and the characters. And that's fine, but don't be surprised when people don't really find your film all that good. That's why I think films like Superbad, or even This Is The End, work in a dual fashion. You actually get some well thought-out raunch, you also do get some surprising character development about friendship and the connection you have to these people that, in some cases, you've grown up with your entire lives. This film copies the raunchier aspects but negates copying the most important thing and that is the heart. As I mentioned, it's not like I thought that this was awful, or even close to the worst film I've ever seen, but it's just an exercise in laziness and I just don't care for that. Much like Barbecue, it's the type of film that's more fun to shoot than it is to watch. It's even more pronounced here than it ever was in Barbecue. Can't exactly recommend it, but there's worse stuff out there.
May 18, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....WARNING YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENES AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
May 15, 2015
Bit of a damp squib as a British man is getting married to his australian girlfriend. Release the madcap chaos and tomfoolery now....or not in this case
½ May 8, 2015
Likeable boyish comedy with a few strained but decent laughs.
½ November 28, 2014
has some funnys mainly in the second half of the movie / / id recommend the writers previous screenplay death at a funeral english version its better. re.3-3.5
July 23, 2014
4/10
not good, unfunny most of the time
June 15, 2014
Olivia Newton-John is the only good thing in this film. She is hilarious.
May 22, 2014
It's pretty much a mash-up of The Hangover and Four Weddings... Not much to complain about! It delivers what you'd expect from this kind of film, in a way that I personally found quite entertaining.