The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes Reviews

• Jan 26, 2019

The best movie quote ever spoken: "Elementary, my dear Watson."

The best movie quote ever spoken: "Elementary, my dear Watson."

• Oct 27, 2018

A wonderful story as the bad guy Moriarty creates two mysteries to solve one to save the life of a young girl, whilst holmes does all he can to protect her the villain has him distracted so he can commit the largest crime ever and then retire, but will Holmes realise before he can do anything? Great stuff.

• Nov 23, 2015

One of the very best original Sherlock Holmes films before the poorer war based stories set in. The busy plot and great atmosphere captivates from start to finish.

• Jun 16, 2015

Although this is actually the 2nd Sherlock Holmes film with dynamic duo Basil Rathborne & Nigel Bruce it was the one that launched the US audience. Both actors went on to make I believe 14 films together as Holmes & Watson. This film is loosely based on William Gillette's (He played Holmes on Stage 1300 times before his screen debut in 1916) play but is ultimately made for the masses & to entertain. The atmosphere of film is good and the mystery is a little predictable but it's an enjoyable film none the less. You can see why this film was so successful & from what I have seen it's an excellent hollywood take on the famous story.

• Oct 14, 2014

Many prefer this one to the first outing of the Hound, but the romantic elements strike the wrong chord for me. I do love the Holmes in disguise for this and thank 20th Century Fox for continuing the Victorian setting.

• Feb 18, 2013

Second outing for Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce as Holmes and Watson and the last for Fox before they began their tremendous B-movie run at Universal (where the staging anachronistically switched to modern day). Unfortunately, although the characterizations are already in place (and yes some hate the bumbling Watson but I have a soft spot for him), this film is no patch on the earlier Hound of the Baskervilles and lacks the zest of the later low budget series. Somehow, the key parts of fhe plot that reveal how Professor Moriarty's dastardly scheme to foil Holmes really worked have been omitted. Still, it is always reassuring to see Holmes and Watson at work.

• Oct 31, 2012

I was entertained with this film. It had a nice balance of comedy and mystery.

I was entertained with this film. It had a nice balance of comedy and mystery.

• Sep 05, 2012

The movie that made Basil Rathbone the only adequate Sherlock Holmes in the history of film. In this full-length entry the famous detective has to take on his arch nemesis - Professor Moriarty, a man, who's as intelligent as he is dangerous. Very well-acted and fast-paced, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes proves to be a remarkable adaptation and a picture that shows the detailed plot in the most rewarding manner.

• Jul 31, 2012

Holmes vs. Moriarity,always a good show--Good Cast, Atmosphere, & Action!!

Holmes vs. Moriarity,always a good show--Good Cast, Atmosphere, & Action!!

• Jul 21, 2012