The Amityville Horror - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Amityville Horror Reviews

December 30, 2016
Not that scary not even a horror movie
December 29, 2016
the only strong point of this horror is the interpretation of Ryan Reynolds, inspired by the classic Shining put in the context of this plot of a Amityville now died of sequels
December 26, 2016
This is the film that made me love horror films. "The Amityville Horror" hits all of the right notes for a supernatural horror film. Terrifying imagery, jump scares, a mystery that keeps you on edge, the worst babysitter ever, creepy little kids, figures lurking around corners, and more! It is the complete package and the best part may be its bold opening. Many horror films ease into the terror or even try to lure us into a false sense of security. This film opens with the graphic homicide of a family and little explanation. What follows are 90 compelling minutes with frequent moments so tense that your stomach will be twisted in knots. I have found that many "scary movies" are actually intense thrillers with a few scary images ("The Sixth Sense," "The Uninvited") but the scary moments in this film run from start to finish. They keep us on edge so that we never know what may pop out next. While there are plenty of jump scares, the unknown evil at the core of this story is what makes it truly scary. Homeowners will wonder if their house may have a tragic history, parents will worry about who an imaginary friend could actually be, and we will all be filled with a sense of dread during moments like the dog scene. The film was criticized for showing too much horror instead of implying what is happening but sometimes we need to see the scary sights instead of imagining them. Ryan Reynolds does a great job of creating two separate personas but making them similar enough that we believe that he possesses both. Melissa George drives the emotional aspects of the film and Chloë Grace Moretz successfully creeps us out as Chelsea. The role of Father Callaway is downplayed from the original film but I actually think that it benefits the story by making it one piece of the puzzle instead of the main focus. Philip Baker Hall is great in this role. My largest complaint is the ending. It seems like a cop out instead of a well thought out resolution but it certainly doesn't ruin the film (like the jump scare at the end of "The Woman in Black"). My love for "The Amityville Horror" is part nostalgia looking back on myself as a budding film buff at the impressionable age of 20 (who went to the theater twice in 3 days to engulf myself in this bloody bath of horror), but revisiting this film in my 30's has let me see that there is a lot of quality in this take-your-breath-away chiller.
½ November 27, 2016
One of the worst remakes in horror movies. Not scary at all and did not follow the original story accept the names of the characters.
½ November 6, 2016
2.5/5. The first two acts are solid, the performances are solid, and the movie is fun. But the 3rd act is really disappointing and drags it down to the point where I can't say I'd recommend it.
October 11, 2016
This movie follows very generic horror cliche's that not even Ryan Renolds performance could save it from. The movie is a little bit of a drag but not awful either. The ending leaves something to be desired.
½ September 30, 2016
This is an awful story and the acting from the leads is on a comparably low level alongside it; this has no redeeming qualities. That's 90 long minutes I'll never get back...thanks Ryan Reynolds!
September 21, 2016
Don't bother with this version. Watch the original, which stays much closer to the book that is supposedly based on a true story. The book and original is way scarrier. This version is just made up Hollywood dramatization.
½ September 17, 2016
This movie was doing so well - clearly influenced by interviews some of the kids who lived in the house made, a good performance from Reynolds, etc...and then the end was like nah man no especially the end shot of Jodie. That said, even if this had a better ending, I'd still prefer the 1979 movie if only because of its simplicity and, well, I grew up with reruns from the 70's so the 1979 classic just seems to have the right vibe to me.
September 14, 2016
The movie wasn't that bad but it wasn't that great either. For a remake it was pretty much as good as the original... Both were pretty much just ok and nothing more.
August 28, 2016
Although it respectfully has some great visuals and disturbing imagery, the storytelling was both rushed and uninteresting.
½ August 23, 2016
So, I am still popping my horror cherry and found this movie a little tame and predictable. Granted I havent seen the original, but I would recommend this movie to any non horror watching person who wants to see what their threshold is
½ August 6, 2016
By todays horror movie standards this is garbage.
July 29, 2016
Not a bad remake. There are so many worse ones. I would choose this remake over Psycho,Halloween or A Nightmare On Elm Street remakes. Ryan Reynolds does a great job.
July 25, 2016
Sometimes i like watching complete rubbish and this was one of them,
I'm very dissapointed with this movie, It had great acting i suppose ryan reynolds 's performance is stunning, I Just don't like how it is not scary at all, I couldn't even finish the rest of the movie, i had to stop in 25 min.,
Not Even Ryan Reynolds and the rest of the cast can save this movie,
Now Horror Movie Fans are going to get Mad for Michael Bay Producing these Remakes, THE AMITYVILLE HORROR isn't as bad as a nightmare on elm street, I'd rather watch this than many teenagers getting killed in their sleep.

Score: 4/10
July 7, 2016
Meh, Ryan Reynolds does better with comedy and even better with Deadpool... there's quite a few scare fails... Somewhat disaster of a remake as what mist people would expect considering the original was fairly mediocre in the first place.
½ June 13, 2016
Better than the original (in my opinion)
½ May 30, 2016
Aunque posee propuestas medianamente interesantes, Terror en Amityville no logra comprender que rellenar la historia con 1 hora y media de sustos de impacto (jumpscares) no es generar miedo, es solo un "entretenimiento express" muy vacuo y que a la larga solo se tornará intrascendetal.

Además, hay un descuido extraño en el apartado artístico, y al espectador se le dificulta asimilar que la historia se desarrolla en pleno 1975, en lugar del 2005.
½ May 16, 2016
What is the point of remaking a bad horror movie if you can't make it any better or scarier? In fact, this awfully formulaic remake doesn't manage to be scary at all, since it only reuses the most obvious clichés of the genre and seems like an uninspired copy of The Shining.
½ April 21, 2016