The Amityville Horror - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Amityville Horror Reviews

½ May 5, 2017
Severely underrated horror flick. In my opinion, Ryan Reynolds and Melissa George put on incredible performances. Especially Reynolds who proves he can be ever so dramatic and also creepy if he wanted to.
½ April 9, 2017
This was a disturbing, gritty, intense horror movie, and easily one of Ryan Reynold's best performances.
½ April 2, 2017
Just, a waste of time.
½ March 26, 2017
It's bad, but gives you a good ??
March 19, 2017
As expected, this modernized remake of an older horror flick racks up all the cliches in the book and brings in plenty of blood and gore but, relative to other modern horror remakes, this one isn't entirely uninspired with a legitimately creepy atmosphere and some technical risks that other movies may have played more safely.
½ March 16, 2017
Just your typical, run-of-the-mill, haunted house movie. Noting more, nothing less.
February 10, 2017
Re-make of the 1979 horror movie betters the original on production values but efforts to improve the plot are less convincing. Stars Mellissa George of Aussie soap Home and Away fame.
February 2, 2017
The original movie was better than this
½ January 29, 2017
Freaky but was hit and miss at times. Just ok overall.
December 30, 2016
Not that scary not even a horror movie
December 29, 2016
the only strong point of this horror is the interpretation of Ryan Reynolds, inspired by the classic Shining put in the context of this plot of a Amityville now died of sequels
December 26, 2016
This is the film that made me love horror films. "The Amityville Horror" hits all of the right notes for a supernatural horror film. Terrifying imagery, jump scares, a mystery that keeps you on edge, the worst babysitter ever, creepy little kids, figures lurking around corners, and more! It is the complete package and the best part may be its bold opening. Many horror films ease into the terror or even try to lure us into a false sense of security. This film opens with the graphic homicide of a family and little explanation. What follows are 90 compelling minutes with frequent moments so tense that your stomach will be twisted in knots. I have found that many "scary movies" are actually intense thrillers with a few scary images ("The Sixth Sense," "The Uninvited") but the scary moments in this film run from start to finish. They keep us on edge so that we never know what may pop out next. While there are plenty of jump scares, the unknown evil at the core of this story is what makes it truly scary. Homeowners will wonder if their house may have a tragic history, parents will worry about who an imaginary friend could actually be, and we will all be filled with a sense of dread during moments like the dog scene. The film was criticized for showing too much horror instead of implying what is happening but sometimes we need to see the scary sights instead of imagining them. Ryan Reynolds does a great job of creating two separate personas but making them similar enough that we believe that he possesses both. Melissa George drives the emotional aspects of the film and ChloŽ Grace Moretz successfully creeps us out as Chelsea. The role of Father Callaway is downplayed from the original film but I actually think that it benefits the story by making it one piece of the puzzle instead of the main focus. Philip Baker Hall is great in this role. My largest complaint is the ending. It seems like a cop out instead of a well thought out resolution but it certainly doesn't ruin the film (like the jump scare at the end of "The Woman in Black"). My love for "The Amityville Horror" is part nostalgia looking back on myself as a budding film buff at the impressionable age of 20 (who went to the theater twice in 3 days to engulf myself in this bloody bath of horror), but revisiting this film in my 30's has let me see that there is a lot of quality in this take-your-breath-away chiller.
½ November 27, 2016
One of the worst remakes in horror movies. Not scary at all and did not follow the original story accept the names of the characters.
½ November 6, 2016
2.5/5. The first two acts are solid, the performances are solid, and the movie is fun. But the 3rd act is really disappointing and drags it down to the point where I can't say I'd recommend it.
October 11, 2016
This movie follows very generic horror cliche's that not even Ryan Renolds performance could save it from. The movie is a little bit of a drag but not awful either. The ending leaves something to be desired.
½ September 30, 2016
This is an awful story and the acting from the leads is on a comparably low level alongside it; this has no redeeming qualities. That's 90 long minutes I'll never get back...thanks Ryan Reynolds!
September 21, 2016
Don't bother with this version. Watch the original, which stays much closer to the book that is supposedly based on a true story. The book and original is way scarrier. This version is just made up Hollywood dramatization.
½ September 17, 2016
This movie was doing so well - clearly influenced by interviews some of the kids who lived in the house made, a good performance from Reynolds, etc...and then the end was like nah man no especially the end shot of Jodie. That said, even if this had a better ending, I'd still prefer the 1979 movie if only because of its simplicity and, well, I grew up with reruns from the 70's so the 1979 classic just seems to have the right vibe to me.
September 14, 2016
The movie wasn't that bad but it wasn't that great either. For a remake it was pretty much as good as the original... Both were pretty much just ok and nothing more.
August 28, 2016
Although it respectfully has some great visuals and disturbing imagery, the storytelling was both rushed and uninteresting.