The Amityville Horror Reviews

• Oct 24, 2020

The remake only added "Poltergeist" and modern cheap scare tactics with a horrible decision and frantic filmmaking that disrupted the story in Hollywood-cheese-favored exaggeration to the 1979 vaguely mediocre beginning, apparently decided to not improve the flaws besides the creeped atmosphere while letting the good cast down. (C+)

• Oct 18, 2020

The most supernatural thing about this movie is that we’re supposed to believe that Melissa George popped out 3 kids and still has THAT RIDICULOUS body.

• Sep 25, 2020

It's entertaining, but not scary. So instead of 'The Amityville Horror' I push for 'The Amityville Thriller.'

• Sep 02, 2020

It actually bothers me quite a bit that critics were so heavily negative when reviewing this. I think anyone can see that this was superior to the original, which itself got poor reviews. It feels as though they went into this expecting the Citizen Kane of horror and were left disappointed with what was ultimately a worthwhile effort replete with quality acting performances (though I think Reynolds' machismo doesn't truly compare to Brolin's epic beard in the original), quality CGI and an actionized retelling of what was always going to be the same story. There were some plot points that I think should've been framed differently or had more time spent on them as I for one think the basic premise holds a lot of promise that was never truly lived up to, but I suppose I won't complain about the extensive runtime given to the babysitter's navel. In summary: this was fine, and if you didn't think it at least approached the level of "fine" then you are probably trying to fit in with critics who intended to crap on this before they ever saw it.

• Jun 29, 2020

Had an okay storyline, but mostly had jump scares and predictable points. The female was irritatingly useless but I guess that's what gets the movie going. The supernatural element was explained, but some of the things still didn't make sense if you thought about who were the victims and who the murderers.

• Jun 26, 2020

An intense and spooky film with a surprisingly dark (and great) performance from Ryan Reynolds.

• May 18, 2020

This story is said to be true and this is not the first time a movie has been made on it. I would say watch it if you're interested in the story but other then that it really isn't that good.

• Feb 11, 2020

The problem with Ryan Reynalds is that he can not do serious roles convincingly. He comes across as a happy-go-lucky funster and no amount of contrived face pulling or grimacing is going to make him believable as a man sinking into insanity and menace, which is what he has been cast as in this remake of a classic horror based loosely around an historic event. The rest of the cast do a pretty acceptable job of being generally concerned, then worried, frightened and finally terrified but Ryan always looks like he's about to crack up and tell a dirty joke. It's not his fault, as an actor, it's difficult to draw on emotions that are totally unfamiliar and Ryan has led a very carefree existence so expecting him to be capable of playing a character that has anything to worry about, much less a man whose sanity is slipping is a bit much. Playing someone undergoing a full scale demonic possession is just not in the man's acting range. Aside from the miscasting, this is watchable enough, with the Michael Bay treatment of the classic haunted house tropes being not too egregiously mishandled. It ain't great, but then neither was the original.

• Jan 11, 2020

The Amityville Horror, adds some new changes to the classic but rather the original is more terrifying than this remake.

• Jan 06, 2020

I love this film, it's actually one of my all time favourites! Its a horror/spiritualistic perspective of a tragedy that occurred in Amityville some time ago. Yes it is far fetched, no it is not realistic. But this is based off the original move in the 70s so it should be that way! If your a fan of Friday the 13th or Freddy cruger films it's a must watch!