Reviews

• Nov 14, 2021

Great jumpscares and a narrative that works, unlike the original.

Great jumpscares and a narrative that works, unlike the original.

• Oct 16, 2021

Very disappointing /boring there are hardly any truly scary moments people that are against remakes of classic films have A valid argument with this one not even worth it

• Sep 23, 2021

At the point of this review, I had seen nearly every Ry Rey (great nickname I heard on YouTube) comedy out there. Believing that there wasn't a single dark bone in his body, I was shocked to learn he was in this remake, and even more shocked by how well he sold the character, almost crying, fearing I would never be able to see that funny Canadian the same. Thankfully, the audio commentary helped me learn a little about his experience working on the movie, and how difficult it was portraying that character. As one who had not seen the original, I didn't know anything about the movie, except for what little I learned about the story the movie is based on, I didn't want to delve too far into the history of the house. I imagine the original is probably better to those who have seen it, but having nothing to compare it too, I enjoyed not spending the movie looking for every difference. As a horror movie, I don't have much to compare it too, not being the biggest fan of horror films. As far as effects were concerned, the movie looked pretty scary from what I could see through my fingers. I certainly believe the audio commentary about the effects being mostly practical, and don't plan on going over the movie a third time, shocking myself again by seeing it the second time with the commentary. Very intense movie.

• Aug 30, 2021

A so so remake of the original Amityville Horror!!

A so so remake of the original Amityville Horror!!

• Jun 28, 2021

It was pretty good Ryan Reynolds scared the shit out of me

It was pretty good Ryan Reynolds scared the shit out of me

• Apr 07, 2021

Watch the original instead and be slightly more mildly entertained

Watch the original instead and be slightly more mildly entertained

• Mar 01, 2021

This remake is shorter and better paced than the original. That being said, I think it lacks in the construction of real suspenseful atmospheres, abusing of jump scares instead. On the other hand, I think Ryan Reynolds delivers in what he has to do, but I don't think the script allows too much depth (or humanization) once the possession starts. I think Melissa George is solid, as usual, and it's interesting to see Chloe Grace Möretz's debut. The biggest weakness here, in my opinion, is the script and the directing: it had all the tools to take the original material and take it to the next level. But it doesn't.

• Oct 24, 2020

The remake only added "Poltergeist" and modern cheap scare tactics with a horrible decision and frantic filmmaking that disrupted the story in Hollywood-cheese-favored exaggeration to the 1979 vaguely mediocre beginning, apparently decided to not improve the flaws besides the creeped atmosphere while letting the good cast down. (C+)

• Oct 18, 2020

The most supernatural thing about this movie is that we’re supposed to believe that Melissa George popped out 3 kids and still has THAT RIDICULOUS body.

• Sep 25, 2020

It's entertaining, but not scary. So instead of 'The Amityville Horror' I push for 'The Amityville Thriller.'