Anguish - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Anguish Reviews

½ September 26, 2016
Initially fascinating but let down by a sprawling, unfocused third act.
½ August 18, 2016
2 words! SHIT SHOW!!!
December 10, 2014
A bizarre and surreal movie within a movie about an optometrist on a killing spree controlled by his hypnotist mother.
½ July 12, 2014
Not always plausible, but clever enough.
October 12, 2013
Almost a complete waste of time, resources, and slots in the movie theatre's playlist. I could barely sit through this terrible excuse of a film. I wouldn't share it. I'd rather shave off my own eyebrows than watch this again.
½ July 25, 2013
Recently saw a 35mm print of this and loved it! Went out immediately and bought the dvd. Underrated and rewatchable. Check it out.
March 20, 2013
Really enjoyable meta horror, worth a look for sure, and if you can go in cold all the better, as there's some reveals that most people end up mentioning in their reviews that may add to your enjoyment if you can avoid them.

Worth a rental at the very least.
September 14, 2012
One of the strangest most interesting films I have ever seen.
½ July 20, 2012
Original, Bizarre and Surrealistic Cult-Movie--Wicked and ingenious horror!!
½ July 10, 2012
la idea es buenísima pero es más para un corto
June 25, 2012
Seriously!!! One of the most frightening slashers ever, I loved the unique storytelling and the brilliant camera shots. The film taken place in a movie theatre playing a story about a serial killer who carves out people's eyes, and at the same time a real serial killer is on the loose. The realistic setting gave me lots of chill. A must watch.
½ March 2, 2012
A strange movie that tries to be clever. The third act is mildly interesting thanks to the self-referential nature of the movie within a movie within a movie. A shame there's no real scares or horror. A few eye-gouging scenes are about it. The film does have a couple decent actors though. Take Poltergeist and Barton Fink and you have a mother and son.
October 16, 2011
Definently enjoyed this 'movie within a movie' '88 Horror Film from Spain. Stars Zelda Rubinstein (that weird looking lady from the poltergeist.) Plenty of trippy scary shit freak out sequences. I thought the gore was really well done. Realistic looking enough for the most part, with only a few exceptions. Some might find the movie within a movie angle to get wearisome and confusing (both movies end up in a movie theatre and similar events go down there) but I actually enjoyed it though it took a little bit for me to get into it. Doesn't break the fourth wall so much as it destroys it, really. Still good times for sure for Horror Fans looking for something a little different. Class Art House Horror for sure.
½ June 24, 2011
Brilliant horror film that plays with the nature of reality and the power of image. To say more would be to give away to much, for the film will be better if it is seen without any description.
½ October 22, 2010
About half an hour into this film, your perspective on the world its created completely shattered in favor of a new matrix that crosses the boundaries of the fourth wall in a unique and indelible way without being completely interesting or memorable. This seeming paradox can easily be explained thusly; if someone asks you to list your favorite horror films, this one is not likely to come up, but if someone starts talking about movies playing with the fact that they are movies, this may be the first film on your mind.

To say too much would spoil the fun, but it's hard to imagine the kind of experience one would have watching this film in the theatre, the way it was meant to be seen. Without a doubt, anyone seated in the standard rows of their local mulitplex would be able to catch other film patrons anxiously looking behind them every few minutes as if to assure themselves that the movie is a work of fiction. Though the story at the film's heart would be of little interest to anyone not suffering from ommetaphobia (though you're bound to gasp in shock at least once), the elements surrounding it and mindbending transit across the suspension of disbelief are enough to warrant at least one viewing.
½ October 6, 2010
An artsy slasher film from the 80s. Athough very imaginative and inventive scenes for example the (hypnotic sequence. It falls short on the story.
½ September 11, 2010
Don't read the synopsis, it's incorrect and misleading, and the release date should read 1987. Finally on DVD this landmark horror films of the 80's this would be an excellent film to show as an intro to a film theory class. I can't say exactly why without giving away the film, but this is a unique, stylistically near experimental horror film that is exploding with ideas.
½ April 27, 2010

This movie is great at getting into your head, and has a pretty original twist considering the time it came out. Zelda Rubenstein is classically creepy in the role of " The Mommy ", perhaps topping her most well-known role in Poltergeist. My absolute dream would be watching this movie in an old theater with a bunch of friends.

Great film.
April 16, 2010
Tripppy !! movie with in a movie!! Original idea, super creepy.

* i'm waiting for mommy!! *
April 16, 2010
I appreciate the intent but this just wasn't my cup of tea. It needed to be campier and way more fun. Love that Zelda Rubinstein though.