Another Year - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Another Year Reviews

½ July 9, 2017
A gentle yet poignant slice-of-life drama from the always wonderful Mike Leigh.
August 19, 2016
My favorite performance in 2010 goes to Lesley Manville and her final scene in this film.
July 9, 2016
A great British triumph!
November 23, 2015
Mike Leigh is one of the best what British drama has to offer. But comparing to some of the best French drama his films are lucking spontanuity of thoughts and situations. Same about Another Year. His does something absolutely magical with his actors - he knows how to make them real. I bet, he can make any RADA trained actor talk like a normal person again. Task that is almost impossible!
November 6, 2015
A brilliant every-day-life drama of a couple and a highly toxic relative.
½ October 22, 2015
A fascinating drama that slowly grows on us with a simple yet nuanced story that follows a year in the life of normal people. The whole cast is fantastic, and Lesley Manville deserves an Oscar for her outstanding performance as Mary the eccentric friend.
½ July 19, 2015
Another boring year for these guys.

Another year has great acting, a well written script by Mike Leigh and it may not be every ones type of film to watch, but it's still worth a watch to those who are interested in watching the movie.
½ July 1, 2015
Really? How does this movie have such good reviews? This may be the most boring and uneventful movie I have ever seen! I dozed off for a moment during the film, but unfortunately I woke up and had to finish it!
½ May 6, 2015
Quiet but memorable. There is a lot one can learn from this film.
January 29, 2015
Mike Leigh's film dwells deeply on old age and friendships while bringing out a brilliant performance in Lesley Manville. Full review later.
January 26, 2015
My understanding of drama is that it should be more than just a portrayal - no matter how well-drawn and superbly acted - of characters. Unless I'm mistaken, something should happen, but all we get is an overdose of dreariness that drags on relentlessly, leaving you unsatisfied and more than a tad angry with yourself for having hung on in hopes of something - anything - happening. Lesley Manville as Mary was the only redeeming feature, and Peter Wright as Ken was excellent. The Perfect Couple were highly annoying in their complacently happy and well-adjusted lives; the only emotion they evoked was a strong desire to hurl a brick at their bubble.. Having said all this, the film has the elements of a really good movie, but Mike Leigh's obvious disdain for having a story to tell, wastes them.
½ December 26, 2014
Another Year is customary Mike Leigh. It's a film not so concerned with an overarching plot as much as it is character development, but through the backdrop of showing his characters go through a whole year it acts as a real nostalgic concurrent. It's themes regarding aging, loneliness, and family are giving a nuanced weight here that you rarely see in cinema, even of the kitchen-sink variety. One of the director's most mature and sad films.
November 3, 2014
How does Mike Leigh continue to make such perfect films? The characters are so real that you have expect to find them in your address book. And Ruth Sheen is nothing short of wonderful!
October 27, 2014
You gotta love mad Mary and her car.
½ October 2, 2014
Not bad. Not great.
½ September 24, 2014
Watching the actors play off of each other in "Another Year" is a gift in and of itself (Lesley Manville gives a tour de force performance as world-weary and passionate "auntie"), but Leigh's wisdom and emotionally-gripping screenplay make it something more akin to a work of art.
½ September 4, 2014
Another Year a beau bénéficier de scènes particulièrement émouvantes et marquantes et d'un casting pour le moins excellent, avec Lesley Manville & Ruth Sheen en tête de liste, le film de Mike Leigh manque de rigueur et laisse traîner des scènes qui auraient pu être coupées quelques minutes auparavant. Non pas que l'on s'ennuie, loin de là, mais cela n'apporte rien à un film qui aurait définitivement pu s'en passer. Par exemple, les scènes d'Imelda Staunton sont inutiles alors qu'on aurait aimé plus voir Peter Wight.
September 2, 2014
MIke Leigh always makes films that are, well, different. Almost everyone seems to be unhappy and they dwell in it. The ones being happy keep living on. Not sure I would have missed much if I did not see this though...