Apollo 13 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Apollo 13 Reviews

November 28, 2017
A great film, made by a great director, with characters acted by great actors. This historical drama is tense and suspenseful and a joy to watch. Possibly the best Space film ever made.
October 20, 2017
Apollo 13 is directed by Ron Howard, and it stars Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton, Kevin Bacon, Gary Sinise, and Ed Harris in a space adventure docudrama about the true story of the Apollo 13 event where there was a bunch of technical difficulties, and the crew has to get back to Earth before time runs out and they die in space. I figured since it was in my want to see list on Flixster, I rented this with other films to get some films off my list. So for this, I really enjoyed this film for what it is. The acting is pretty solid, and the story is well-told that respects the real life people that were actually involved with the event. The visual effects are the highlight of the film as to this day, they look really good and realistic that really shows the believability of the actors acting around in zero gravity. It's tense at some points, and you get enough of the characterization of the crew that you want them to survive the event, even if you know what already happened. The only issue that I do have with this, is the pacing. There are some slow moments that are a bit often than it should've, andthat wasn't quite an easy sit for me and just felt long, even though it's suppose to be suspenseful. Apollo 13 is a great film that while it doesn't have that much replay value to it, it's a good enough film for a first-time watcher that you get something out of it that stick with you.
½ September 16, 2017
Arguably Ron Howard best film so far, the movie bring so many emotion. With amazing cast, the Ron Howard bring us one of the greatest survival movie ever.
August 15, 2017
Apollo 13 is smart, captivating and a classic from the 90's. Y'know, it never ceases to amaze me how well films age. Whether it's a flashy blockbuster or a low budget drama, ageing is a curse that thousands of films succumb to. Apollo 13 though, still feels fresh when watching it today. Not because it's the depiction of a true event or the talented cast on screen (but that does help!), it's the direction. This was made to showcase the technical prowess and finesse that Ron Howard has in making, what I call, a Hollywood movie. James Horner for musical score, Tom Hanks as lead actor...it has all the ingredients for a 90's classic that Hollywood love to serve up. It works, so no complaints here. Let's talk about Ron Howard, he was superb directing this. His style, ever so consistent, yet always changing. Still shots, tracking shots, POV shots...you name it, he's probably included it. Tom Hanks was charming as always, Kevin Bacon's smile just steals every scene and Bill Paxton's nervous outbursts were relatable. Bringing in Ed Harris as the flight director was a smart move, he oozes confidence and brings in the acting experience to keep us hooked. It's a bittersweet true story, our astronauts venture towards the moon where an unforeseen event occurs that prevents them from landing on the surface. A landmark event, and yet they couldn't achieve it. I honestly had sympathy for our characters, seeing their dreams being crushed within hours. I also appreciated the friction between Jack and the crew, being a newcomer is always difficult and I thought that was presented well. The effects for the most part hold up decently, the rocket launch though...not so well. The background looked like Google Earth or Flight Simulator, could've been handled better even in 1995. It is a safe and familiar structure with not many thrills in store, a disadvantage for any well documented true event with a happy ending. In saying that, I was captivated and enthralled by the science and entranced by the performances. Ron Howard did a damn good job who deserves more recognition.
½ August 4, 2017
Apollo 13 is a solid film with a great actor, Tom Hanks. In fact the acting was really good from different characters in the movie. I'm not sure this Apollo 13 has a high replay value...for me, it's one of those movies you watch a couple of times. But I could be wrong, maybe I'll end up watching it many more times. Overall, a very well acted & solid space film. 3.5/5 OR 7/10
August 3, 2017
I came to 'Apollo 13' expecting greatness, and I was abruptly disappointed. If Howard's film does not have apparent flaws, neither does it have this certain alchemy that would make it, somehow, special. Of course, Tom Hanks certainly delivers a strong performance in the role of an ordinary man, but unfortunately, it's in the service of an ordinary film, whose predictable ending, conventional filming and lack of inventiveness certainly aren't the hand of a significant work.
July 29, 2017
A movie who's incredible story would be direded as fanciful poppycock if it weren't for the fact that it was true. A wonderful movie with heartfelt, earnest performances and great direction by Ron Howard.
July 16, 2017
One of my favorite movies of all time.
½ June 22, 2017
This movie is very well made and has one of the best casts that comes to mind. Hanks, Harris, Sinise, Paxton, and Bacon carry an accurate film with real drama.
June 1, 2017
space the final frontier lol courage and the will to survive and true team work show what we can overcome if we put our minds to it
½ May 30, 2017
Only space film worth watching. Not dated since its release.
May 19, 2017
That was one truly spectacular ride everyone should take and get right back home safely.
April 13, 2017
I am surprised that it has taken me this long to finally watch this film and even though it does suffer from some of the usual true life drama cliches and problems but with such a brilliant cast, cracking score, solid visuals and assured direction from Ron Howard this is a likable, entertaining and worthwhile film to watch.
April 1, 2017
I enjoy this movie sure, but felt like it could have been better. The best parts of the movie are the engineers and how the movie explains what processes they go through to figure out solutions to problems. The acting is definitely superb from the entire cast. But it wasn't great.
½ March 6, 2017
The suspense is palpable, which is incredible, given that we all know how the story ends. Howard is like an orchestra conductor, and this is his 7th Symphony.
February 9, 2017
Such a great movie. Everything about it is perfect.
½ January 9, 2017
This is Ron Howard's masterpiece. Everything from the special effects, acting, directing, cinematography are all great. You are on the edge of your seat from the moment they take off in Apollo 13. A truly great moment in the history of mankind.
January 6, 2017
An excellent edge of your seat movie about a space mission. Very inspirational.
½ January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 3, 2017
Exciting from start to finish.