The Apostle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Apostle Reviews

June 10, 2016
A great movie with a compelling storyline.
March 27, 2016
Today is Easter, 2016. A perfect way to end Easter day would be to watch this movie. One of my favorites. I'm going to see it sometime soon, in the next few days for the nth time. You should too.
½ September 6, 2015
Duvall is great as always but the movie is just a lot of preaching which I know, it is about a preacher, but the character just wasn't all that interesting outside of the church scenes.
June 7, 2015
A masterpiece. Christian entertainment that refuses to simplify its message, but does not preach to the choir. The Apostle E.F. is one of the greatest characters in film history, and Duvall gives the performance of a lifetime (which is saying something for an actor who has accomplished more in one career than most do in three or four). Despite not being from Texas, or Louisiana, where the film takes place, Duvall (who wrote, directed, executive produced, and financed the film, truly making it HIS creation) gives us an amazing sense of geography. We feel like we're there all the time, immersed in this culture, walking among these characters. Every other performance is excellent. A completely unrecognizable Miranda Richardson, (who you'd never guess was Queenie from "Blackadder," but makes a most convincing Southern belle), is particularly effective in her role as a potential love interest for our hero. If we can even call him that. He reminds me of King David from the Bible. He did wrong, he knew he did wrong, but through it all, one thing remained constant: he loved God with all his heart and sought always to do His will. So many movies have depicted preachers as pure charlatans and conmen. Sonny has admitted to an eye for the ladies, but he takes the Lord's work VERY seriously. That's something you just don't see in many movies made for people outside the church walls. It's what makes this film so special: even though it's about a particular group of society, it's for everyone. Whether you believe or not, you will be moved, challenged, perhaps even excited by one of the greatest films of all time.
May 3, 2015
A nice movie with one great performance from Duvall.
½ April 9, 2015
An engaging story driven by a very powerful performance from Robert Duvall.

The story of a minister in a evangelical Christian church who starts a new life after committing a crime. Interesting and engaging story as we see the man's life destroyed and then see him rebuild it, and see the effect he has on others.

Superb performance by Robert Duvall in the lead role (though we have come to expect that from him). Very believable as the preacher, with mannerisms, doctrine etc very well researched.

While having an interesting plot (written by Duvall) and also being well-directed (by Duvall), the movie isn't too profound, which is disappointing. I was waiting for that moment of clarity, but it never came.

It is all about the journey, not the destination, in this case.
March 17, 2015
Brilliantly showcases the tension between the desires of our broken selves and the good that God calls us to.
January 24, 2015
Shows what most judgemental Christians don't want to admit. We are all sinners who can only strive to do right. Awesome movie!
November 29, 2014
An interesting and somewhat odd story from Robert Duvall. It was good at moments and had some compelling scenes. I respect the effort and craftsmanship that went into this film, but it didn't quite enthrall me like it did for some people. It was a little too preachy, ironically.
½ November 28, 2014
It takes so long to arrive, that by the time it does, it's a miracle of filmmaking. Robert Duvall created a great character. A very strange film, but one that comes into its own and makes its mark.
November 27, 2014
This movie is a gem. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it and how moving I found it.
½ September 23, 2014
One of the few films I've seen that takes a fairly balanced look at the evangelical church. Writer/director and star Robert Duvall doesn't pull any punches as he exposes fictional preacher Sonny Dewey, but he also isn't bashing the character. He seems like a real person, he has his flaws and he is very manipulative, but he also seems to have a real faith and real doubts. His belief runs deep, but so does his sin.

Maybe this is due to Duvall's script or the kind of direction that a seasoned actor brings to the director's chair. Duvall allows his performers plenty of time and longer takes to really delve into their characters. He doesn't rush any scene or rush the story, in general, it takes its time. Often meandering in and out of a coherent plot, but that doesn't really matter. What matters is the story of "Sonny", and his own personal redemption. Duvall knows how to tell that story, and he does.

It's not a perfect film, but it was such a refreshing look at religion from Hollywood that I couldn't help but enjoy it.

P.S. Billy Bob Thornton is really great in this film.
May 14, 2014
This movie is brilliant and possible interpretations can be as varied as those on religion itself. Very human and compelling characters and great acting.
March 27, 2014
I loved this movie when I first saw it.
½ March 24, 2014
I could just strip down this excessive comment to the following words: I loved it. It's a very down-to-earth story, simple yet intriguing. It's really fascinating how the acting goes by with you barely noticing. The acting just has a beautiful flow to it, every single character works together with the rest, to create something wonderful. As I said, when you watch it you don't notice, but when you think back... Everything is just so... right. I'm not sure it's because I have religious beliefs I enjoyed it, but I don't think so. Everyone in the mood for Powerful drama should watch this, atheist or Christian. It's been a long time since I felt so much for a film as simple as this.
March 13, 2014
A strange/unique from long time actor first time director Robert Duvall. Simply the story of 'very' evangelical preacher who clearly hasn't sorted out his life & flees his old town.

Although he has flees he hasn't sorted his stuff out & it all just resurfaces. Although Duvall has created a unique cinematic character he isn't really likeable.

It's a film that will leave you with mixed emotions & not sure how you feel. It's an interesting film about a subject rarely explored in Mainstream Hollywood.
February 23, 2014
An excellent performance by Robert Duvall, but the film is way too long. It does, however, expose the hypocrisy, arrogance. greed and selfishness of power hungry preachers like Sonny, who never practice what they preach and certainly feel that the 10 Commandments are for the "little people." Sonny is a horrible person who is just in the church as a means for feeding his ego and enriching himself at the expense of his poor parishioners. He callously and brutally kills a man for only doing what he himself has done many times before by his own confession and he does it right in front of his children, whom he claims to love. And does he try to pay for his crime? No, he runs away like a coward and then feels he deserves to be God's Apostle. This film shows one a good reason to doubt any person who claims with puffed up self pride that they speak for God.
January 24, 2014
Simply put, a superior film by a superior actor who also directed adeptly and deftly this little gem. You have to be impressed with the energy Duvall expends acting, knowing that he was also working behind the camera.
December 4, 2013
a stunning robert duvall performance! (a li'l less the direction).