Arlington Road - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Arlington Road Reviews

½ December 16, 2017
For a successful academic with roots in the law enforcement community, Bridges' character sure does a lot of dumb, criminal things. There's potential here, and the threat of domestic terrorism has only become more prescient in the time since the movie, but the movie never dares to make the clever or biting choices. The villains motivations remain murky and evil, implausible and ignorable; the direction never rises above a mediocre made-for-tv flick; the screenplay is rudimentary and cliché-all of which makes for a rather forgettable and boring flick.
December 7, 2017
Starts off well. Middle is so so bad at times boring, ending is ok
November 27, 2017
Brilliant piece of American paranoia...love the way tension builds. Best line: what are you doing here? "Shopping"
½ July 23, 2017
Wow, what an opening! And what an amazing, smart, edge of your seat ending! I really enjoyed the classroom teachings of Faraday, especially the ideas that I call the politics of fear. It's interesting that this movie came out in 1999, but seems very relevent even today. Also gives me pause to think about the phrase "he acted alone". I also enjoyed having Bridges and Robbins in the same movie, as I like both of those actors. Robbins is creepy, but I think Joan Cusack out-creeps him, and her facial expression change at the pay phone is probably gonna wig me out for a while! It's a slow film, but the ending makes it worth the view!
June 10, 2017
Fantastic movie. It captures a lot of the paranoia from the time that came with the recent domestic terrorist attacks, and despite some familiar plot territory, it plays out very compelling featuring great performances from Bridges and Robbins, stylish direction from Pellington, a killer soundtrack from Badalamenti to underscore and amplify the tension, and a shocking and genius ending that will leave your jaw dropped and your heart racing.
April 3, 2017
Interesting idea. Clever ending. Surprised me. Tim Robbins, Jeff Bridges, Joan Cusack all good. History professor teaching class in terrorism begins to suspect neighbor. Maybe could have kept you guessing about the neighbor a little longer.
January 7, 2017
A nice thriller, it got me bored a little, though..
October 25, 2016
An excellent thriller...eerie and diabolical at times in its presentation. Makes you rethink the possibility that some conspiracy theories may have more truth to them than at first meets the eye.
½ October 19, 2016
If "The 'Burbs" replaced its humor with embarrassing scenery chewing, freeze frames, silly flashbacks and self-righteous political discussions.
October 18, 2016
It really might have been good...if it hadn't been so preposterously stupid.
October 3, 2016
Phenomenally underrated masterpiece. What I like is the underlying current that I think gets lost somewhere in the plot twists and turns....the idea that "do we really know who our neighbors are? Do we even talk to them?"
July 8, 2016
Don't miss this well acted thriller about home grown terror cells. I believe this was an HBO films production and it is a first class film all the way . It will have you thinking , really how well do we know our neighbors. I own the disc but still watch it off it comes on t.v. Great surprise ending!!
June 22, 2016
Jeff Bridges is a college professor who begins to suspect that his neighbor might be a terrorist. This movie's plot twists right down to the very end of the film were amazing. They kept you guessing and wondering what was going to happen. Jeff Bridges turns in a remarkably paranoid performance in this one. For some reason it seems like a lot of people haven't seen this movie but it is definitely not to be missed.
½ May 31, 2016
An engaging thriller with an unconventional resolution.
½ April 20, 2016
Pretty interesting. The way this movie plays out is pretty cool, culminating in one of the best "gotcha" moments I've ever seen in a movie.
April 6, 2016
Jeff and Tim keep this barely afloat. Story is almost a farce.
½ March 16, 2016
One of those most underrated movies in my opinion.
March 5, 2016
Mostly mediocre but saved by the ending.

Michael Faraday (played by Jeff Bridges) is a Professor, specialising in modern terrorism and terrorist acts on US soil in particular. His wife was an FBI agent but was killed in a bungled operation. A new family moves into the neighbourhood and, to Michael, certain things about the husband of the family don't gel. So he does some investigating...

For much of this movie, this was a very conventional, run-of-the-mill thriller. Even calling it a "thriller" flatters it, as it had no twists or intrigues at all - everything was out in plain sight. Then it got even worse, degenerating into mindless chase scenes.

However, it redeems itself, to an extent, with a great twist at the end. But for that this would have been a total write-off.
½ May 30, 2015
Good cast and good thriller movie about terrorism that leaves you wondering about your own neighbourhood.
½ May 20, 2015
Surprisingly good thriller that is elevated by fine performances from Robbins and Bridges.