Atlantis - The Lost Empire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Atlantis - The Lost Empire Reviews

January 16, 2017
An estranged Disney movie that is often forgotten, although it isn't bad. The animation isn't pretty, but there is plenty of adventure to keep you entertained. (First viewing - Summer 2001 in theaters)
December 29, 2016
One of my favorites. Who can resist Fox's voice?
½ December 26, 2016
The villain is boring and cliched and the story can be compared to Pocahontas, but the animation and most of the characters are enough to make the movie genuinely enjoyable for me. A Disney bomb that happens to be one of my biggest guilty pleasures.
December 23, 2016
After making absolutely no impression on me as a small kid when I saw it in the theaters, I finally re-watched it today as an adult (after every millennial I know swears its a masterpiece), and WOW, was I disappointed. This movie is paced WAYYY too fast, around the 30 minute mark, Milo (the main character) had already told us his plan, got through the typical rejected/ nobody believes you stuff, found someone that believes in him, and had found Atlantis. Yikes. The pacing doesn't get any better from there either. Not to mention their cringeworthy Microsoft Powerpoint-style cutaways.

One of the things people always rave about though is the characters, specifically the side ones. And while I found them enjoyable, the side ones honestly didn't redeem themselves to me after the climax. (Next sentence is spoiler-y?) They seem kind of hypocritical and stupid, like, they don't want people to be hurt, but they always knew the repercussions of what they wanted, and didn't care until Milo reminded them? Just comes across as weird to me.

The plot is convoluted too. By the third act, I pretty much had no idea what was going on. Wayyyy too much made up lore. As a kid, I remember not understanding A LOT of the movie, and though I'm sure I understand it more as an adult, I have a hard time believing kids would get too much joy out of this since it's hard for even adults to grasp.

In the end, the only things I can come away with that I liked was the scene with Milo and Kida swimming and discovering Atlantis history (the only characters I truly liked by the end), Kida's design (though her eyes were a bit too bulgy), and the background visuals.

Honestly, this movie is just forgettable to me. Even just 20 minutes later, I'm not coming away with much of anything from it. I thought the fact that I didn't really remember it at all as a kid was because I was... well, a kid. And I must have just forgotten a good movie over time. But no, I think I just forgot it because its bland and forgettable.

Why so many people (especially millennials) are praising it, I have no idea. Could be from nostalgia, but I think this movie really falls under "You love it, or you hate it." There doesn't seem to be any in-between. So I'm hesitant to tell people in general to just not watch it, because I know SO many people who enjoy it! I would say, watch at your own risk, and just know that there are criticisms out there. I would mainly recommend just adults watching it though. Not because its too inappropriate for kids, I just can't see them getting much enjoyment out of it.
December 17, 2016
Very mediocre as far as Disney films go. The transition between finding Atlantis and the climax isn't very smooth, either. There needs to be more substance in the middle.
December 12, 2016
Underrated elegant movie, full of interesting images, in spite of it's sometimes muddled plot
November 26, 2016
One of the more underrated Disney films with an awesome voice cast and musical score.
November 15, 2016
I don't know what the critics are talking about here. The plot is sufficiently coherent if you actually pay attention. I've always known this movie was underrated but 49%? Come on.
November 1, 2016
very very underrated film
October 25, 2016
Taking us on an adventure unlike anything Disney had done before in the form of animation, "Atlantis" ranks amongst their most underrated features.
October 16, 2016
One of my favourites
October 3, 2016
This movie has no latest ground Opening the Fail Attempt to Underrated
Disney Movies than Treasure Planet, There a few Pranmance movie with few Clumsy story and Boring Animation for the second the only wrong there aren't underrated the Box office Performance is cost it not bombing, L give it Atlantis the lost empire is still not underrated and alway good time no alcohol require.
½ August 28, 2016
Atlantis - The Lost Empire is a Disney film that many people didn't like when it first came out, and to be honest, I think critics were a little too harsh on it. I didn't see in until last year and I enjoyed it. The animation is very nice to look at and the plot is briskly paced, albeit incoherent. The film suffers from many issues, mainly dealing with the character development. Milo is your typical geeky but well-meaning hero. He's not one of the most memorable Disney protagonists. The villain is just your typical greedy bastard who wants to destroy Atlantis for money and nothing else. Kida is kind of bland, but she's okay. I thought the the Atlantean culture was kind of cool, as well as the people. What I really enjoyed in the movie were the side characters. They are such a delightful crew of oddballs. They're really funny and unique, and the climax is fun. The plot is still incoherent and the main characters aren't very interesting. I was kind of annoyed that the film is an hour and a half long because I wanted to see more of Atlantis itself. But I think I like it better than most people. It's not good but not bad either. It's entertaining at best. Atlantis - The Lost Empire isn't one of the best Disney films, but it's a fun adventure. It's worth a viewing or two
August 27, 2016
Ummm...Nadia of the Blue Water pwns this movie like a noob.
½ August 25, 2016
Disney's beginning of XXI century is thought to be the era of its decline. Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise's "Atlantis - The Lost Empire" somehow accounts for that statement - but only somehow, since it rather proves that Disney, even at the shrink of its filmmaking shape, can come up with worthy releases.

The movie follows the story of Milo Thatch, a clumsy, but clever linguist trying to prove the existence of the all-time legend - the Atlantis. Due to a rather rushed beginning, we can learn very little before we set off to the soon-to-be unforgettable adventure - only that, you guessed it, nobody really believes Milo who is thought to be just as moonstruck as his deceased grandfather.

To avoid further spoilers, I'll be straight - the movie has its ups and downs. When it comes to character creation, the pace of action and the dialogues it shines brighter than Atlantis' crystal. The movie falls short, however, in terms of plot consistency, further development of well-introduced characters and the animation - the latter simply hasn't changed that much since 1990, marking 10-years-period of developmental stagnation. "Atlantis..." is also predictible as heck and doesn't try to be way too out of the adventure-movies mould -passionate scientist overwhelmed by his money-thirsty comrades? We've heard that before, Disney.

Harsh though it may sound, it doesn't change the fact I enjoyed watching "Atlantis...", simply because it's not a bad movie. It just feels more like it deserves a bronze medal in the animated releases competition - and that, considering Disney is its definitive favourite, leaves the audience slightly disappointed.
August 16, 2016
This had potential, but squandered on developing the characters, and creating a good story!
½ August 15, 2016
Not one of my favorites, but it was a decent watch.
½ August 11, 2016
esta un poco devaluada,pero es una buena pelicula,la dos si es una basura
July 21, 2016
Beautiful animation and imaginative plot.