Atlantis - The Lost Empire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Atlantis - The Lost Empire Reviews

May 18, 2017
Fasat paced with a very unique and gorgeous animation style. Critics aside this is by far among one of the most under-rated disney films to date, alongside gems like Treasure Planet and The Princess and the Frog.
½ May 13, 2017
God this movie is amazing!
May 4, 2017
Atlantis: The Lost Empire is one of Disney's most intriguing experiments with a gorgeous anime-influenced animation, excellent score, an impressive attention to detail and a winning premise, but it ultimately failed to become a great sci-fi adventure as it is too fast paced, too emotionally cold and filled with way too many characters who are all very weakly developed. It is a film that had great potential, but is so frustratingly misguided that it ended up being one of Disney's weakest efforts.
April 22, 2017
This does bring back childhood memories
April 19, 2017
My beautiful animaction.
April 8, 2017
This is seriously one of my favorite Disney movies, I love how they make Milo a nerd and Kida really awesome instead of having Milo be the hero to rescue the damsel in distress. The design is absolutely beautiful as well, everyone I know who's seen it loves it.
½ March 21, 2017
Atlantis - The Lost Empire is a Disney film that many people didn't like when it first came out, and to be honest, I think critics were a little too harsh on it. I didn't see in until 2015 and I enjoyed it. The animation is very nice to look at and the plot is briskly paced, albeit incoherent. The film suffers from some issues, mainly dealing with the character development. Milo is your typical geeky but well-meaning hero. He's not one of the most memorable Disney protagonists. The villain is just your typical greedy bastard who wants to destroy Atlantis for money and nothing else. Kida is kind of bland, but she's okay. I thought the Atlantean culture was pretty cool, as well as the people. What I really enjoyed in the movie were the side characters. They are such a delightful crew of oddballs. They're really funny and unique, and the climax is fun. The plot is still incoherent and the main characters aren't very interesting. I was kind of annoyed that the film is an hour and a half long because I wanted to see more of Atlantis itself. The film is also pretty corny and stupid at times. But I think I like it better than most people. It's not really good but not really bad either. I actually think it's decent. Atlantis - The Lost Empire isn't one of the best Disney films, but it's a fun adventure. It's worth a viewing or two
March 16, 2017
Despite it's lack of DIsney's signature songs, Atlantis offers interesting characters, an intriguing story, beautiful animation and a very enjoyable film that was even worthy enough to spawn a sequel. By being one of Disney's lesser known films, this film offers it's own flare and Disney Magic.
½ March 14, 2017
This is a underrated Disney film in my opinion. Is it corny and stupid at times? oh yea. Also the third act sadly is not very good either. On a whole, I do think there are things to like about this film. There's some good lines, many of the characters are distinct, likable, and they all stand out., There was definitely a lot of imagination and creativity put into it, and the visuals are really really cool to look at.
March 10, 2017
Diverse and well rounded characters with a great story. There's so much creative genius backing it
January 16, 2017
An estranged Disney movie that is often forgotten, although it isn't bad. The animation isn't pretty, but there is plenty of adventure to keep you entertained. (First viewing - Summer 2001 in theaters)
December 29, 2016
One of my favorites. Who can resist Fox's voice?
½ December 26, 2016
The villain is boring and cliched and the story can be compared to Pocahontas, but the animation and most of the characters are enough to make the movie genuinely enjoyable for me. A Disney bomb that happens to be one of my biggest guilty pleasures.
December 23, 2016
After making absolutely no impression on me as a small kid when I saw it in the theaters, I finally re-watched it today as an adult (after every millennial I know swears its a masterpiece), and WOW, was I disappointed. This movie is paced WAYYY too fast, around the 30 minute mark, Milo (the main character) had already told us his plan, got through the typical rejected/ nobody believes you stuff, found someone that believes in him, and had found Atlantis. Yikes. The pacing doesn't get any better from there either. Not to mention their cringeworthy Microsoft Powerpoint-style cutaways.

One of the things people always rave about though is the characters, specifically the side ones. And while I found them enjoyable, the side ones honestly didn't redeem themselves to me after the climax. (Next sentence is spoiler-y?) They seem kind of hypocritical and stupid, like, they don't want people to be hurt, but they always knew the repercussions of what they wanted, and didn't care until Milo reminded them? Just comes across as weird to me.

The plot is convoluted too. By the third act, I pretty much had no idea what was going on. Wayyyy too much made up lore. As a kid, I remember not understanding A LOT of the movie, and though I'm sure I understand it more as an adult, I have a hard time believing kids would get too much joy out of this since it's hard for even adults to grasp.

In the end, the only things I can come away with that I liked was the scene with Milo and Kida swimming and discovering Atlantis history (the only characters I truly liked by the end), Kida's design (though her eyes were a bit too bulgy), and the background visuals.

Honestly, this movie is just forgettable to me. Even just 20 minutes later, I'm not coming away with much of anything from it. I thought the fact that I didn't really remember it at all as a kid was because I was... well, a kid. And I must have just forgotten a good movie over time. But no, I think I just forgot it because its bland and forgettable.

Why so many people (especially millennials) are praising it, I have no idea. Could be from nostalgia, but I think this movie really falls under "You love it, or you hate it." There doesn't seem to be any in-between. So I'm hesitant to tell people in general to just not watch it, because I know SO many people who enjoy it! I would say, watch at your own risk, and just know that there are criticisms out there. I would mainly recommend just adults watching it though. Not because its too inappropriate for kids, I just can't see them getting much enjoyment out of it.
December 17, 2016
Very mediocre as far as Disney films go. The transition between finding Atlantis and the climax isn't very smooth, either. There needs to be more substance in the middle.
December 12, 2016
Underrated elegant movie, full of interesting images, in spite of it's sometimes muddled plot
November 26, 2016
One of the more underrated Disney films with an awesome voice cast and musical score.
November 15, 2016
I don't know what the critics are talking about here. The plot is sufficiently coherent if you actually pay attention. I've always known this movie was underrated but 49%? Come on.
November 1, 2016
very very underrated film
October 25, 2016
Taking us on an adventure unlike anything Disney had done before in the form of animation, "Atlantis" ranks amongst their most underrated features.