Atlantis - The Lost Empire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Atlantis - The Lost Empire Reviews

August 11, 2017
re-watching this now kinda bring back nostalgia trip.

too bad this film came out at Disney's worst era, you can tell by the dated and clunky animation, but in some way still fun and worth watching.

i have to say this film is underrated and could be classified into modern classic, but i digress...
July 24, 2017
Disney meets Jules Verne, and pulls it off, for the most part. But this is definitely one of the forgotten entries in their epic library of animated films.
½ July 16, 2017
It's not terrible. It's just a clear step below Disney's lofty standards in pretty much every regard.
July 9, 2017
Beautiful and funny. I can listen to Michael J. Fox forever. He's just one of those actors that soothes me. Another one is Leonard Nimoy and he's here too! Might be a little on the darker side but still a fun adventure movie.
½ June 15, 2017
A super fantastic, beautifully animated film with an amazing musical score, and some funny characters. Atlantis is one of those Disney movies that I can remember the most. Too bad it bombed tho.
June 11, 2017
A lot of people hated this film, and admittedly, I can understand why. I personally don't think it's that bad, I find it to be an OK film, but even I'll confess that it does have problems that do bring it down. The plot is pretty hard to follow and confusing and the characters feel underdeveloped. Sure, there was that one scene where the characters where talking about their past was like, and where they came from, and I do like that scene, but it makes me wish there were more moments like that in the film. However, as underdeveloped as the characters are, I did like some of them such as Vinny, Cookie, and Mole since they do bring out some of the most humorous moments that this film has to offer. Other than them, though, I don't hate the characters, it's just that we don't get enough time to learn about them. Outside of three characters that I really enjoyed, another thing I like about this movie is that the animation looks really good. Maybe it's not the best looking visuals I've ever seen, and I have seen many other Disney films that have better animation, but still, there's a lot of admire about the animation in this film such as the action scenes being fun to watch, the character animation is top-notch, and the special effects do give a nice touch to the action going on in the film. Overall, Atlantis: The Lost Empire has a few good things in it, but it has a lot of flaws that take it away from being up there in the same league as the other great Disney films.
½ June 9, 2017
"Atlantis: The Lost Empire" is a fast-paced and visually stunning animated adventure that is exciting and fun, but doesn't offer much substance to counter its style as its characters lack dimension and depth, and its plot doesn't make much sense.
½ June 1, 2017
Atlantis is a fun tale of exploration and discovery.
May 22, 2017
Fast paced with a very unique and gorgeous animation style. Critics aside this is by far among one of the most under-rated disney films to date, alongside gems like Treasure Planet and The Princess and the Frog.
½ May 13, 2017
God this movie is amazing!
May 4, 2017
Atlantis: The Lost Empire is one of Disney's most intriguing experiments with a gorgeous anime-influenced animation, excellent score, an impressive attention to detail and a winning premise, but it ultimately failed to become a great sci-fi adventure as it is too fast paced, too emotionally cold and filled with way too many characters who are all very weakly developed. It is a film that had great potential, but is so frustratingly misguided that it ended up being one of Disney's weakest efforts.
April 22, 2017
This does bring back childhood memories
April 19, 2017
My beautiful animaction.
April 8, 2017
This is seriously one of my favorite Disney movies, I love how they make Milo a nerd and Kida really awesome instead of having Milo be the hero to rescue the damsel in distress. The design is absolutely beautiful as well, everyone I know who's seen it loves it.
½ March 21, 2017
Atlantis - The Lost Empire is a Disney film that many people didn't like when it first came out, and to be honest, I think critics were a little too harsh on it. I didn't see in until 2015 and I enjoyed it. The animation is very nice to look at and the plot is briskly paced, albeit incoherent. The film suffers from some issues, mainly dealing with the character development. Milo is your typical geeky but well-meaning hero. He's not one of the most memorable Disney protagonists. The villain is just your typical greedy bastard who wants to destroy Atlantis for money and nothing else. Kida is kind of bland, but she's okay. I thought the Atlantean culture was pretty cool, as well as the people. What I really enjoyed in the movie were the side characters. They are such a delightful crew of oddballs. They're really funny and unique, and the climax is fun. The plot is still incoherent and the main characters aren't very interesting. I was kind of annoyed that the film is an hour and a half long because I wanted to see more of Atlantis itself. The film is also pretty corny and stupid at times. But I think I like it better than most people. It's not really good but not really bad either. I actually think it's decent. Atlantis - The Lost Empire isn't one of the best Disney films, but it's a fun adventure. It's worth a viewing or two
March 16, 2017
Despite it's lack of DIsney's signature songs, Atlantis offers interesting characters, an intriguing story, beautiful animation and a very enjoyable film that was even worthy enough to spawn a sequel. By being one of Disney's lesser known films, this film offers it's own flare and Disney Magic.
½ March 14, 2017
This is a underrated Disney film in my opinion. Is it corny and stupid at times? oh yea. Also the third act sadly is not very good either. On a whole, I do think there are things to like about this film. There's some good lines, many of the characters are distinct, likable, and they all stand out., There was definitely a lot of imagination and creativity put into it, and the visuals are really really cool to look at.
March 10, 2017
Diverse and well rounded characters with a great story. There's so much creative genius backing it
January 16, 2017
An estranged Disney movie that is often forgotten, although it isn't bad. The animation isn't pretty, but there is plenty of adventure to keep you entertained. (First viewing - Summer 2001 in theaters)
December 29, 2016
One of my favorites. Who can resist Fox's voice?