Bandit Queen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bandit Queen Reviews

January 7, 2013
One of the most devestating TRUE stories you'll ever see portrayed on the screen!! DO NOT watch this movie for entertainment... It will be an experience that will chew you up and spit you out. "Girl Power" is an understatement! [Note the 100% rating by all 25 critical reviews.]
December 11, 2011
disturbing bit of Indian history. this might easily have been Tarantino's inspiration for Kill Bill.
½ February 2, 2011
Very intense and disturbing, but true at the same time ...
½ December 8, 2010
this is an very voilent n disturbing muvee n esp the sort dat cmpltly gets to yu n forces yu to ponder n thnk...very well made n soopa actin by every1..based on a true stry it depicts hw women were treated n bein loathed earlier..n hw ths woman alone went ahead n tuk her revenge..cmndable n hats off to the bandit queen both on screen n off screen..
½ November 27, 2010
The real story of violence, wonderfully shot and superb performance by seema biswas a lil slow but yet again, it is gud tht way
3.5/5 for this one, watch it if u want to know the truth bout the bandit queen
½ November 23, 2010
Jaw dropping, absolutely must-see.
October 2, 2010
This is what Cinema stands for.....I m Speechless. What performances, what direction what a moment what everything.
August 9, 2010
From the title I expected an Indian historical version of "I spit on your grave" It did go on that territory for a while. But not very far, I could have known better from the fragments of good reviews from newspapers like the NY times.

She does take revenge in the movie, but I should have been more violent. The story takes too long and it tries to justify itself too much. I would think if decide to become a vigilante bandit, you don't think very much in nuances.
May 27, 2010
Ohmigosh, you've never seen "Bandit Queen"? Lucky!
½ March 26, 2010
Shekhar Kapur at his best.
March 1, 2010
Wow! Some ironclad performances in this reality-based story of one woman's (and arguably one caste's) continuous rape and the vicious revenge she exacts in response. Seema Biswas shines in the titular role, emitting an enraged, sensual charisma. No doubt certain aspects of this biopic have been romanticised for dramatic effect, but there are still plenty of hit-you-in-the-guts moments that keep events far from the rose-tinted zone: the gang rape and the mostly unfulfilled revenge prove particularly discomforting...

On a lighter note, for expletive content alone, this is a great film to have a drinking contest to: take a swig every time someone says "bhenchod" or "madarchod" (check your Urban Dictionary, folks) -- the one not totally bladdered by the film's end wins!
February 3, 2010
Based on a true story, this is a remarkable accounting of one woman's grit and courage to survive the inhumanity of a male-dominated society and then to triumph. Seema Biswas is unforgettable!
November 27, 2009
While an interesting story, and I can definitely understand the controversy, director Kapur never really seems able to explore his talents to their full extent. Plus, I really hate when biopics cut out before some of the most interesting times in their subjects' lives and fill in the rest with an epitaph.
August 31, 2009
My favorite movie of all times. Very emotionally moving. I like this movie better than the newer bandit queen. The other Bandit Queen I did not like and it was poorly made.
August 15, 2009

July 23, 2009
Whilst it's heartbreaking what Phoolan Devi goes through, it's a really good film which opens your eyes!
½ April 20, 2009
fantastic movie,,every women should watch it.i just loved it,n also luved seems biswas acting,,i think it was her first movie but her acting is really something.but when i knew it was real ,,,it really hurt me .n how the women took revenge in the last is really good.5 star for this movie.
February 10, 2009
based on reality good movie
flixsterman
½ January 10, 2009
Violent, disturbing and true. A hardcore docu-drama that doesn't pull any punches.