Before Stonewall Reviews

• Michael
    Jul 28, 2019

I love the history , how people would meet as opposed to now , We use all Social Media , We Almost dont have to go Out to meet New People

• paul a
    Jun 26, 2019

a great recap of underground gay life leading up to the stonewall uprising.

a great recap of underground gay life leading up to the stonewall uprising.

• Eve A
    Jun 25, 2019

truthful, interesting, fantastic unseen footage. Great research and beautifully presented. The . filmmakers have much to be proud of.

• A Eisenstein
    Jun 23, 2019

Incredibly important film! I've seen it long ago, multiple times, and it has not lost its relevance - probably more important than ever - and it will continue to be an important document for each new generation to come. It's historically important, a document of many voices no longer with us, and wildly entertaining.

John B Super Reviewer
    Apr 28, 2014

I saw After Stonewall before seeing Before Stonewall. I don't think it particularly matters. Having this film created in the 80s allows us to get the words of many early activists who are unfortunately no longer with us. It paints what is thankfully becoming more of a sad period in history that has now passed.

• Aug 28, 2012

So glad I finally got around to watching this!

So glad I finally got around to watching this!

• Aug 08, 2011

An interesting relic of the 80s - shakily assembled, it sort of meanders along without much drive or focus. However, the opportunity to hear from some of these important people, most of whom have passed on since the documentary was made, makes the viewing more than worth it.

• Mar 09, 2011

Rita Mae Brown serves as the narrator for this compelling documentary about the concept of homosexuality and its effect on society it traces back to the early beginnings of gays and lesbians coming out about their sexual nature and having to face judgment along with persecution all the interviews and reasearch studies are well-put together deciphering the events leading up to the Stonewall riots in the summer of 1969 the viewer's knowledge and understanding will be wonderfully expanded about the gay perspective it's a terrific film in case you want to learn about human studies or more about homosexuals, it should not be missed

• Nov 26, 2010

Great historical prospective of US Gay History. Great footage starting in the 20's! Highly recommend it to any history buff or anyone intersted in G/L issues.

• Nov 20, 2010

What a great window on Gay and Lesbian life prior to the liberation movement of the 60's.