Being John Malkovich Reviews

• Sep 28, 2019

One of the strangest and unique movies I've ever seen. Great acting, but I didn't like any of the characters.

• Sep 23, 2019

Usually you are waiting to go, "oh, this is that kind of a film" it never happens. Being John Malkovich Spike Jonze makes films about humans. I know what you are thinking. None of his films, even the ones with human faces crowding the screen actually take a route through them. Yes. He never does take a simple route. Although his film will always be effortless. Setting up the premise with an ease, is sugarcoated by sharp witty humor that does its own magic before the curtain drops too. What lies beneath is a thundering drama, zapping you with practically anyway, in any perspective you can see this head spinning concept explored with. But I don't want to just mention his contribution to what remains a story or a film that I do not understand to this date. This is equally the writer, Charlie Kauffman's film. Coming from a comedic background, he can balance the humor with the drama- that he has worked exceptionally on- with his eyes closed. And it is also one of those rare screenplays that is considered to be the most unique in cinematic history and yet feels the most known and formidably a captivating show of a seen-this-seen-that humanization of the wooden faced puppets. Incredibly scary and achingly funny in what it has to procure. And you'd think that with such unique elements that the film is embedded with, the makers would be careful. But they are instead carelessly throwing, pitching ideas left and right in this battlefield. It is basically a football game. Chaotic chase, the last run, the last whistle that is always about to blow in this section of the game, the film is exhaustingly amped up in its speech throughout the course of the film. Being John Malkovich might start off as a social satire only to evolve into what you might think as a political statement before revealing into what we call, a human nature.

• Aug 23, 2019

Charlie Kaufman is my favorite screenwriter of all time and Being John Malkovich is a shining example as to why. An Insanely original and deep movie concept that slowly trickles and never overbears the audience with information or seriousness while shifting from a comedic tone to dark despair perfectly. Absolute stellar performances from Malkovich, Cusack, and Diaz giving you a new dimension to their acting you can appreciate. Only a bit of a slog through the first portion of this movie hinders an otherwise masterpiece of a film.

• Aug 23, 2019

It's weird, it's pretty good, it's weird, it's fairly classic, oh, and did I mention it's really freaking weird? Hilarious, certainly, but I imagine it's significantly better if you're high as a kite when you watch it. I was hoping it was going to be more profound or more neatly tied up at the end, but as it is it's just weird. And the more one thinks about it, the creepier the whole premise is, especially at the end.

• Aug 19, 2019

Very funny and unconventional it was refreshing!

Very funny and unconventional it was refreshing!

• Jun 18, 2019

I thought it was just ok

I thought it was just ok

• Apr 24, 2019

John Malkovich appeared extraordinary as himself. The can throw scene is even amazing as one of the greatest improvised scenes in movies. Apart from his improv, he also plays a lonely character but is far from himself in the public eye. Cameron Diaz appeared with such beauty whatsoever. Same with Catherine Keener, the cunning but tempting. "Being John Malkovich" is clearly an interesting masterpiece with a unique and strange concept but not everyone would enjoy it. Filled with a twist but smart dark humor, this film never had the slightest bit of boredom. The movie has a lot of ambiguity and theory but it's a sin if I spoil it. The story of "getting stuck in someone else's body" is indeed nothing new but the film nailed it best.

• Apr 19, 2019

What? Another over-rated film. This was a waste of my time.

What? Another over-rated film. This was a waste of my time.

• Mar 18, 2019

It is an extremely unique film, but that plot is all that it has good about it. Everything else is so mind-boggling and selfish, it starts to crumble on its own weight. The characters are mean and unrelatable and the love story sub-plot is ridiculous and filled with cruel intention. The point behind the whole story is so self-absorbed and lousy, I was just anxiously waiting for it to cut to the end credits. I don't get why people love it. Absolute garbage.

• Mar 03, 2019

Weird, funny, and very different with good performances from its four leads.

Weird, funny, and very different with good performances from its four leads.