Bonjour Tristesse - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bonjour Tristesse Reviews

October 24, 2015
An enjoyable romantic drama that also contemplates the worth of a life in comparison to happiness.
September 28, 2015
Interesting family dynamics. Cecile (Jean Seberg) seems overly dependent on her playboy father played by David Niven. This film is more of a tragedy than a comedy though.
½ May 9, 2015
I enjoyed this one from Otto Preminger starring Jean Seberg("Breathless") who absolutely lights up the screen. The scenery on-location in the French Riviera is gorgeous and David Niven is charming and funny as Seberg's father who rotates through girlfriends. Worth a watch for classic film fans!
February 14, 2014
This is a good movie! It has a plot that delivers though the ending is sad. David Niven and Jean Seberg have an interesting father/daughter relationship in this movie!
½ March 16, 2013
Beautifully paced,has a little something of the movies Antonioni would make a few years later, holds in the black and white sequences the magic of Otto Preminger, and the color parts make jean Seberg a full fledged star. Deborah kerr is just as annoying as her character should be and the plot its so twisted its fascinating. A great tale of adolescence altough most wont relate as those caracters setting, spoiled and upper decadent bourgeois, are definitley not average. So its a window in a delightefully twisted story ( i nver read the book though, no idea if it fits)
January 30, 2013
You can forgive David Niven in the shorty shorts with such a great story to tell. Here we have the ultimate father daughter relationship where party dad lives younger than his age much to the delight of his offspring. when it appears that daddy will actually grow up and start a new life with Deborah Kerr..well..watch the sparks fly. Great Preminger.
½ July 17, 2012
the style of "bonjour tristesse" is so different and unique, and i can't recall ever seeing a film of this type with a female lead character. jean seberg plays her character in a way that you'll love to hate her.
June 17, 2012
well done rom-com with amazing casting
citawijaya
November 27, 2011
I was really excited about this movie because I'm a huge fan of Jean Seberg but I was left disappointed after watching it. I couldn't enjoy the acting at all, I guess I'm a minority here but this movie is overrated.
October 10, 2011
the acting is horribly embarrassing, the script boring, but on a whole, otto's magic touch makes it all go down much easier - sort of.
½ August 30, 2011
The fourth-worst movie I have ever seen. Note to self: Don't rent movies with predominantly pink covers.
March 17, 2011
I love Bonjour Tristesse primarily because Jean Seberg was on screen all the time. She's a good actress, not great, but she has an amazing screen presence and she is so charming that you can't hate the movie. The rest of the cast is also great, most notably Deborah Kerr. I really liked how the film was structured, going from black and white to color. It really emphasizes the sad and bleak reality that you have to face after a fun summer vacation.
January 8, 2011
Brilliant cast, masterful direction and wonderful locations. Two legends of cinema (Niven and Kerr) and a cult personality (Seberg) who shows she can act and have a real presence at the same time. The real champion of Bonjour Tristesse is Otto Preminger. Using an innovative technique of using flash-forwards in black and white sequences when things were not so good to the good times in colour which, at times, did cross over - the camera-work and editing was a real joy to witness.
July 10, 2010
A solid film in every way and good performances all around. It holds the viewer's attention during its length of 90 minutees but it's also a film easy to forget once it's over.
April 24, 2010
Great story marred by Seberg's inability to act.
½ January 29, 2010
i love love loved this! such an amazing film! i liked it even better than the book! i loved how they illustrate the unusual father-daughter relationship without being patronising, the characters seem so real. pity the boyfriend ended up a bit blurry, not much to say at all, though (at least in the book, he managed to utter a soft cry of complaint).
½ January 8, 2010
I love the book and the movie was great. Directed by my favorite director of all time Otto Preminger andone of favorite actors, Jean Seberg who is so dynamic in any role she takes.
½ November 26, 2009
Adieu tristesse, bonjour ennui.
August 25, 2009
Darker, wittier and deeper than one might glean from a single viewing.