Borgman Reviews

• Jul 03, 2019

It's started well, intriguing and all... but the more I watched the weirder it gets, and as the time was running off I understood that the circle would not close at all, so instead of a story I found myself annoyed with a straight weird line.

• Jan 12, 2019

Stylistically David Lynch inflected story about a sadistic force which, escaping men with guns, arrives in suburbia, killing everyone, but the bedeviled children.

• Oct 20, 2018

Intriguing and entertaining movie. It leaves the viewers with many questions but tickles the imagination. I really liked the movie, exceptional for a Dutch production.

• Mark H Super Reviewer
    Oct 04, 2018

One of the most disturbing movies I've ever seen. It's confusing at times, but despite not always understanding what was happening or why, I couldn't look away. There is such a palpable feeling of dread in this film, the leader, Borgman and his followers so cold, calculating and sinister, I was deeply affected by this movie. Some reviewers saw dark humor, I did not. The movie has awkward moments, and like terrifying film, you wish for something funny to break the tension, but this movie is weirdly dark. It feels like peeking into the world of a sadistic cult that simply feels far too real.

• Dec 07, 2017

started out great but soon descended into a spiral of crazy sprinkled with boredom.

• Jul 30, 2017

Some writers are just to lazy. People who hated prometheus for not explaining itself enough might get cancer from watching this movie. (I like prometheus btw)

• Jun 10, 2017

Weird and fun and interesting, but a bit too self-conscious in its weirdness, and either too explicit or not explicit enough about how much of it is a representation of the wife's mental state.

• Jun 01, 2017

One of the strangest films of the decade.

One of the strangest films of the decade.

• Mar 08, 2016

"We are so lucky and fortunate people have to pay at some point in life."

"We are so lucky and fortunate people have to pay at some point in life."

• Feb 08, 2016

Some really interesting stuff. The idea of taking an ancient myth and putting it into modern reality/making a cautionary tale for adults is super cool. The performances were good, and some of the imagery was seriously unnerving. Unfortunately it didn't have much of an effect though because the movie is way too long, leaving such pointless drags between the tense moments that it doesn't build. I still recommend it.