Brooklyn Reviews

• 3d ago

It's a perfect film. It's not the best film of all time, but it's one of the 20 or so "perfect" films since 1900. So real, and so heartfelt. It's light though; not so emotional and deep that you fall asleep or become depressed. It portrays humanity so well, and makes you feel a sense of upbeat buoyancy.

• Jul 19, 2020

Saoirse Ronan turns in an absolutely brilliant performance as a young Irish girl named Eillis, who is moving to a whole new place and starting out a new life. The film beautifully displays the feelings of homesickness, culture shock and being torn between two different places by the people around you. The film is very relatable and you can feel everything that Ronan's Eillis goes through as she must learn to adopt her new home and then as she must choose between her old life and her new one.

• Jul 15, 2020

Brooklyn preferisce essere un'esperienza più romanzata rispetto ad un ritratto realistico di in intero periodo storico. Tutto si basa su una sceneggiatura molto intensa e graziosa, che propone una trama semplice ma di grande impatto emotivo nello spettatore. La regia generale soddisfa ogni aspettativa, risultando delicata e sensibile per tutta la durata del film. Si riesce a dare un giusto peso narrativo ad ogni sua scena, garantendo una coerenza generale sempre sopra la media: nel complesso è un'esperienza solida, profonda e difficile da dimenticare.

• Jul 12, 2020

Soairse Ronan is a delight in this movie. Tony is also very charming and handsome. The pacing of the story was good, although I wish Lucy had a bit longer exposure. Her landlady in NY brought some comedy, loved that bit about giddiness being the 8th deadly sin lol. I especially loved the ending too how the shopkeeper in her old job made her realize why she wanted to leave in the first place. The full circle scene in the ship with a newcomer to America was also a nice touch. Really enjoyed this movie.

• klingerglobal U
    Jul 04, 2020

Perfect movie. From start to finish enjoyable.

Perfect movie. From start to finish enjoyable.

• Jun 23, 2020

A story that although set in the 1950s is still relevant to all indigenous people and migrants who have to leave their homes in search of fortune: Saoirse Ronan is one of these and you can see it.

• Jun 19, 2020

I felt that the movie was heartbreaking, heartwarming, relatable, yet distant. Saoirse Ronan was incredible, as usual, but the rest of the cast was really good and realistic too. Great!

• May 01, 2020

I must be strange but I found this movie hard to watch AND decided after I watched it that (even though there were elements of the film I loved) that I could not help but loath Ellis the main actor in the film. She was one nosy ex boss away from dumping her husband Tony and staying in Ireland. She was not reading his letters and ignoring the poor sad guy. She was going to leave him ( in my opinion) and stay with the other guy ( also a really nice guy - she broke HIS poor heart after dumping him to go back to Tony) so the girl Ellis is absolutely a two timer no matter how you look at her. For this reason I found the movie (and Ellis) VERY DISTURBING.

• Apr 22, 2020

An emotive period drama that's definitely worth watching thanks to some emotionally rewarding moments and Saoirse Ronan's charismatic lead performance.

• Apr 03, 2020

Understated and emotionally powerful story about leaving home and building a new life. The movie's realism and lack of any shallow/forced social commentary leaves you with a deep sense of empathy for the central characters and their profound circumstances.