California Suite Reviews

• Sep 20, 2019

Hilarious! Incredible cast. And Maggie Smith effortlessly spins from hilarious to tragic--magnificent!

• Mar 18, 2019

California Suite is a disappointing film. It is about the misadventures of four groups of guests at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Jane Fonda and Alan Alda give terrible performances. The screenplay is badly written. Herbert Ross did a horrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.

• Jan 27, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made!

The best comedy movie ever made!

• Jun 08, 2016

Jane Fonda is excellent and Maggie Smith is hilarious but the Walter Matthau and Cosby/Pryor storylines are just silly and seem totally out of place.

• May 28, 2016

This comedy-drama with an all-star cast wasn't as good as I'd hoped it be. Considering the talent involved, I thought it's be a lot better. I did like Walter Matthau, Michael Caine and Maggie Smith though. Smith plays an actress attending the Oscars as a nominee, and in a funny twist, she Won an in Oscar in real-life for the role. Check it out only if you're a big fan of any of the cast, which also includes, Richard Pryor, Jane Fonda and Alan Alda.

• Jan 30, 2016

I loved the hilarious dialogue and thought this movie was very amusing, engaging and creative.

• Oct 05, 2015

Has a very witty and enjoyable script with a fine cast to bring it to life.

Has a very witty and enjoyable script with a fine cast to bring it to life.

• Apr 08, 2015

A delightful ensemble comedy written by the amazing Neil Simon. This is one of Simon's best works. Jane Fonda, Alan Alda, Maggie Smith, Michael Caine, Bill Cosby, Richard Pryor, Walter Matthau, and Eliane May are exceptionally hilarious and sometimes heartbreaking depending on the storyline. I loved this movie so much I will watch it over and over for years to come

• Jul 21, 2014

Opening credits mingling with British artists David Hockney's artwork, CALIFORNIA SUITE has a pleasing promise to be sophisticatedly funny or creatively witty, it is based on Neil Simon's successful play and directed by Herbert Ross in his prime (after THE TURNING POINT and THE GOODBYE GIRL, both in 1977). continue reading my review on my blog: http://lasttimeisawdotcom.wordpress.com/2014/07/19/californiasuite1978/

• Jun 30, 2013

An all star cast makes up this romp of a comedy. But The relationship focus of four different stories overlapping over Oscar weekend in LA also has scenarios that hit very close to home. For instance Fonda and her family are trying to reconcile divorce, Matthau is caught cheating, Cosby is conflicting with prior over a couple's vacation and smith and Caine try to come to terms with their marriage. These are all real life scenarios that can be funny, but the truthful aspect of it makes it memorable.