Came a Hot Friday Reviews

• Apr 14, 2015

Fun, frenetic kiwi comedy of two small-time con artists working their way through small-town 1940s New Zealand, on their way falling foul of a nasty piece of work whose schemes involve illegal gambling, moonshine, and an insurance scam which has caused the death of an elderly local. The con-men fall in with a local eccentric - a dream role for New Zealand much-loved comedian Billy T. James - "The Tainuia Kid", the greatest Maori Mexican bandito ever to have patrolled the Rio Grande... Occasionally dark, often hilarious, and constantly entertaining.

• Jun 08, 2014

I just downloaded this film from itunes for my kids. It was filmed down the road in Eltham, a book originally written by Ronald Hugh Morrison, who I studied for my BA. It is classic new zealand, both the roads, the cars and the blokes, and the dodgy baddies and random guys in the pub are characters I remember from the small town near where I grew up. I dont think Ronald Hugh Morrison ever left NZ, and I believe he had what is euphemistically called a problem with drink, or just with small towns I cant recall, but this movie is very funny and deserves more than a blank poster. It has well established NZ actors - but even the magpies play out of their skins. Billy T as the Waco kid - had my nine year old ipad minecraft addicted twins rolling around off their beanbags...GO the taniwha!!