The Chocolate War - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Chocolate War Reviews

October 26, 2016
Essential viewing! Terrific on all levels!
July 7, 2016
Original and with a great ending
February 3, 2016
Puts me at war with how good the movie was.
December 4, 2015
First and foremost, this is a movie I saw when I was a little kid and I've been carrying around this vague memory of the ending for years trying to figure out what film they belonged to. This movie seemed to fit the description of what I thought it was...and happily a mystery in my life is solved! I remembered the final moments of this word for word, yet I barely remembered anything else. Watching this as an adult I see it as a unique and odd film about Catholic school boys who have a secret group that assigns tasks to younger students as a means of control...and get into a battle of wits and bullying with a Freshman who refuses to sell chocolates in the school fundraiser. It is decent, but it suffers a bit because the kid playing our lead is as entertaining to watch as a bag of rocks. The movie has some decent cinematography and visuals though, and the core story is solid. It may have a boring lead and some dated music and MTV in the 80s style at times...but it isn't an awful movie.
December 10, 2014
This a good movie with an exciting ending and good actors.
~Ann Ivey
December 10, 2014
Giselle L.
Ms.Guthrie

I thought the movie was a little boring. I think they could have done better with the casting and got a better actor for Jerry and Obie. I think it would have been better if the parts that were in the book were also in the movie. Overall the movie was good.
Destiny Castaneda
English, P.4
Ms.Guthrie

In my opinion I find tg movie old school. I did like it but it wasn't the best. There were some parts missing from the book and I didn't find that fair to the author. I guess the director had something else in mind. Overall, the movie was good, it could've been better though.
December 9, 2014
I love it the acting is good
Julia Simonyan
P4 Ms.Guthrie

I really liked the movie and the book both had different quantities and both had things that made the story bad and good.One thing was in the movie made by the director, Keith Gordon,they removed the "Do I Dare Disturb the Universe " part, which was the thing that The author, Robert Cormier didn't fail on interpreting, it made the book more emotional and the story more realistic.The movie seems REALLY happy go lucky at the end, everyone like a happy ending, but not everything has to have it. The charactors were well-interpreted in the book but in the movie, the bullies seem like criminals ( technically some of them ARE criminals but anyways not really what Id thought) especially Archie, he seems like a drug addict sometimes, not a proud, pride-filled guy.Brother Leon was well-interpreted though in the film, you instantly hate him after seeing what he did to Bailey.
The film and book both are for young adults, teenagers,tweens, and age 21 and up. This film and book is created for people with bullying problems so they can relate to the problems in the story and even stand up for themselves, the line " Do I Dare Disturb the Universe" always stays in the head and heart.
Christopher Nguyen
Ms. Guthrie
December 9, 2014
??An adaptation on Robert Cormier's novel with the same name. In the 1980's near Boston, Massachusetts, there is a school. The school is named Trinity High School, which is an all boys, private, and Catholic high school. There is a secret organization called the Vigils that help keep the school's order by assigning students to do work. A freshman named Jerry Renault had gotten an assignment to not sell chocolates from the school's chocolate sale for 10 days from Archie, the Vigils Assigner. He disobeys the orders, the Vigil's authority in this school starts to be questioned.
??The plot is not close to the novel because it is missing key events like in the book when Jerry goes through his locker and see his poster that says "Do I Dare Disturb the Universe?" Also, the scene when he called the girl, Ellen. That scene was important because it showed that Jerry was never good around girls and had a fantasy about them being all kind and beautiful until he calls Ellen and it broke his fantasy that she was a normal human like him too. Finally, Archie and Jerry switches roles with them being the antagonist and protagonist. Archie got screwed at the end instead of Jerry even though I liked that ending in my mind I know that shouldn't had happened.
The adaption of The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier was a let down in my opinion.
½ December 8, 2014
I believe this was a good film, but compared to the book its adapted from, there are various things changed that I did not enjoy. For example, all the fantasizing, it really confused me. The actors from the film aren't what i envisioned for the novel. On the other hand, the setting was pretty much what I anticipated. The producer and directer did a good job with the film. The screen writer changed a few things. The ending in the book was very different and much more depressing than it was in the film. Overall I like the film, even though it didn't live up to the book :) .
Sebastian C.
Ms. Guthrie/Period 4

Let me just start off by saying that the chocolate war was kind of boring and not that
good. I thought that the book was way better than the movie because the movie did not go into as much detail as I think it should have.
The characters didn't really interest me in the movie because they did not show as much emotion as was described in the book. I thought that the scenes dragged and it
really bored me. The music could have been more exciting. The characters in the book aren't the ones I pictured for the movie. So I think the casting really needed improving.
The director should have cut the scenes shorter and gotten to the point faster so that way it would be more interesting . If they did that i think the movie would have been way
better.
December 8, 2014
This movie does not pleasure the people who have read the book.

First of all, you don't feel as much sympathy towards the protaganist (Jerry) instead you feel more sympathy towards Archie. Unfortunately, Ilan Mitchell - Smith doesn't really doesn't really portray the depressing Jerry Renault. It also had some changes I didn't really like at all. Like for example, the ending. I didn't like it because it doesn't capture the depression of the book and doesn't show how depressing the story is.
½ December 8, 2014
This movie was ok. The thing that made this movie ok for me was the cast. They picked some older people to play the characters like Brother Leon. I thought Brother Leon was alot younger than John Glover which was the actor that played Brother Leon. I also did not like how they took out some important things out of the movie that were in the book. Like the poster that Jerry did that said ''Do I Dare Disturb The Universe''. But overall, this movie filmed good and they offered enough entertainment for the movie to be seen. - Justin S.
Michael .S
Ms. Guthrie
Period 4

I think that the movie was pretty okay but had major flaws in it. One thing I didn't like was that the book had different things that weren't in the movie. For example, the poster that says "Do I dare disturb the universe?", which was important and the movie seemed like it was more focused at Archie than Jerry.
December 8, 2014
the movie was ok. the characters seemed a little bit too old for the roles & the director also left some important parts out could've made it better. other than that the movie wasn't bad but it wasn't the greatest.
Melissa I.
Period 4, English
12/8/14

I just thought the movie was a little on the boring side. The thing that bothered me the most about the movie is the casting. I don't think they did a good choice on the actors for Jerry and Archie. I'm not saying their acting was bad it's just the characters don't feel like the characters in the book. The movie had some interesting parts, but it didn't really catch my attention. There was also a part that i didn't like. It was when Jerry was thinking about his mom and everyone else. I think it would be pretty confusing to people that haven't read the book. Overall I thought the movie was alright.
December 8, 2014
The Chocolate Wars was a good movie, but what I didn't like is how the movie made Archie look like the victim instead of Jerry. When I watch movies I get bored except when the movie is good, The Chocolate War was a little on the boring side in my opinion, but it some parts of the movie did catch my attention. Overall the movie was okay and the actors and actresses where a good choice.
December 8, 2014
When I first saw the film I thought that the cinematographer has caught very good shots in the film, especially at the beginning of the movie where you are a football player at Trinity. Although the director could have chosen a better actor to play the role of Jerry. I didn't think that Ilan put as much emotion into the role as there was in the book. Aside from him I did think that the director chose a good actor to play Brother Leon. Another flaw in the movie was the music. The music didn't fit with some of the scenes in the movie (for example, when we were shown Jerry's depressing past. Instead of something slow and settle, the music was high and upbeat). The producer had done a good job at maintaining the film, especially at having a budget of $500,000. The screenwriter also has made a good job at making the novel into something you can both see and hear. Even if the movie had a couple of differences from the book, I did think it was amazing.
- Andrea S.
December 8, 2014
The movie was alright i mean it was a little different than the book but it was good, the characters in the movie were different than i had imagined because in the book they described them differently also in the movie they had added new scenes to it that weren't in the book.