Choke Reviews

• Dec 26, 2020

Under-appreciated funny movie w talented Sam Rockwell doing what he does best - flawed, off kilter characters.

• Dec 15, 2020

This was a gem of a find . I was so sure I got thru everything Sam Rockwell but I guess not 4.2

• May 08, 2020

You can't go into a film like this hoping to like the protagonist, he's flawed beyond repair but represents a true character, that struggles for good despite his mental handicaps. Sam Rockwell was amazing.

• Apr 04, 2020

Darkly humorous and unique love story, that understandably will not be for everyone, but hit the right notes for me. Loved Kelly Macdonald, per usual.

• Feb 26, 2020

Sam Rockwell did am amazing job of bringing Chuck Palahniuk's book to life! I think ithis is scored low because others didn't read the book. Read it and re-watch it. It'll help!.

• Dec 19, 2019

Based on Palahniuk's novel of the same name, Choke definitely has its moments, but at other times, it feels piecemeal. Sam Rockwell delivers a solid performance. I'm a fan of Kelly Macdonald, but I'm not sure if we're supposed to hear her accent or not.

• May 07, 2018

What many critics say is Palahniuk's failure to draw a thread through the plot and subplots, Clark Gregg quite eloquently emphasizes and subsequently makes convenient to follow for non-readers

• Apr 11, 2018

This may sound strange, but Sam Rockwell choking on food is really compelling.

This may sound strange, but Sam Rockwell choking on food is really compelling.

• Brendan N Super Reviewer
    Nov 07, 2017

I read the book many years prior and even before Fight Club struck it big on home video, one of those books you laugh at or cringe about. This film felt like a dream come true, Rockwell was a choice that seemed great, what could go wrong? The biggest issue I have with the film is the deviation from the source material, Palahniuk wrote a great book but the essence is nowhere to be found. I feel Gregg wasn't the right choice for the writer and director, the film has no core, the plot elements are there from the book but Gregg leaves everything super vague. The film plays it very safe, it needed the biting satire that made the book so funny, this has moments but never clicks together. The wall building, the actual choking and the book are quickly tossed to the side for what ends up a mixed film. There a few more books I want to see as films but this fell to yhe area of way too safe, you can't make a safe Palahniuk adaptation. 07-11-2017.

• Jul 20, 2017

Having a hard time judging it separately from the novel. If I did, it would get 2 stars.