Christmas Evil - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Christmas Evil Reviews

June 8, 2017
Gave this another watch tonight as part of my Christmas anti-programming regimen, and I was rather amused by how much it grows on you when you know how strange it gets in the end.

Such a bizarre ending, and it's worth the watch for the last ten minutes alone, The John Waters commentary is a lot of fun and well worth a spin if you have the chance.

Worth a rental at the very least.
January 6, 2017
The acting is laughable and the gore was inadequate, Christmas Evil is a little cult film that is somewhat funny but also touching(?).
December 26, 2016
I don't want to see this shitty movie
½ December 25, 2016
Creep factor is off the scale for this one. Subpar ending brought it down a star.
½ December 2, 2016
pésima y decepcionante.
August 21, 2016
Wow! If Christmas leaves a bad taste in your mouth, this one's for you. I thought Bad Santa was the only well made anti Christmas movie but here's another one. John Waters considers this the best Christmas movie, and though I haven't seen Santa Clause 3 the Escape Clause, I can say that this is the best Christmas movie I've seen. If you aren't a Christmas cynic or if you hate Bad Santa then watch A Christmas Story instead.
½ June 8, 2016
Christmas Evil is a fun story about a man who loves Christmas; but hates how everyone is naughty and not nice.

Eventually the factory toy-maker is pushed too far and he decides to takes things into his own hands. Blood is spilled, gifts are given, and the white van with a Christmas sleigh painted on it, flies off into the moonlight.

Not very well acted, but the story is actually pretty decent. Harry is actually sympathetic and likable.
½ December 28, 2015
Fairly standard Santa Clause slasher. The performance of Harry is great, and the reasoning for him snapping is fairly refreshing. But otherwise it's pretty by-the-numbers.
½ December 27, 2015
Christmas-obsessed individual tracks the naughty and nice children in the neighbourhood before lashing out on Christmas Day in an act of moral outrage. Film's unique style seems more accidental genius than deliberate. Great ending; I could see this film becoming a holiday tradition. Pre-dates (and better than) SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT but never achieved the controversy or notoriety of that film.
December 27, 2015
Christmas loving employee at a toy factory dresses up as Santa and dishes out equal amounts of holiday cheer (handing out presents) and misery (killing). Police are adept at rounding up suspects dressed up as Santa but have a very difficult time locating a conspicuous white van painted with Santa's sleigh.
½ December 26, 2015
My Christmas Eve tradition!
½ December 25, 2015
This was so much better than I remembered. Actually, this may be the best Christmas themed horror movie I've seen. Why? Because this actually felt like a Christmas movie with horror elements than a horror movie that just happened to take place on Christmas.

Christmas Evil is basically William Lustig's Maniac, only the maniac in this movie is all about Christmas and Santa Claus. This movie is light on bloodshed and kills, and instead showcases the main character's descent into madness as he hopes to become Santa Claus and bring out the true spirit of Christmas. The lead, Brandon Maggart, does a commendable job and he keeps things interesting throughout. He is convincing, especially when he puts on the suit and beard. Despite him being mentally deranged you find yourself caring about what happens to him. His intentions are seemingly good, even if deranged.

The ending (which I can't even believe I forgot about after my first viewing) is hilarious and dumb, but somehow perfect for this movie. It needed to end on some sort of bang and this ending is one of those "Christmas miracle" endings you see in lots of Christmas movies. This is a true Christmas horror movie. This isn't Black Christmas, P2, or Silent Night, Deadly Night where it's just a basic slasher that takes place on Christmas. Christmas Evil is a Christmas movie first and a horror movie second. That's why I would say this is the best Christmas horror movie out there and is worth watching for those who enjoy these kinds of movies.
½ December 20, 2015
Quite a surprise. It feels a little aimless and drawn out towards the end but otherwise it's an effectively disturbing low budget gem
January 12, 2015
Horrible. But boy if the ending did have me laughing. Wtf.
½ January 3, 2015
Not really a slasher Santa flick, more an intriguing, far more psychological analysis of depression and psychosis. An unsual film, but clearly a strong filmmaking voice behind it.
½ January 1, 2015
Not a perfect film in any respect, Christmas Evil is a welcomed adition to regular viewings come the holiday season. It mixes fantasy and the magic of Christmas with mental health issues and good old fashion slasher fun. The opening and closing of the film do have you wondering about the back story of this killer Kringle and one has to wonder, is he perhaps actually fullfilling the wishes of good old St. Nick? Then again, he's mostly portrayed as a mentally unstable individual who just happens to go over the deep end. But isn't that the magic of movies and Christmas... you just have to believe ;)
December 27, 2014
The film is noted for starting a sub-genre of the jolly St. Nick as a psycho slasher killer. This is true holiday camp because Christmas Evil takes itself seriously as a psychological holiday thriller of dark proportions. You've got to be a bit naughty in spirit to truly appreciate this camp Christmas classic, but if you're the right level of twisted it will delight. Christmas Evil is darkly funny, and makes you realize exactly how creepy Santa can be. Maggart gives an incredibly sympathetic and disturbing performance in a part that requires very little dialogue. Yet we get ludicrous moments such as a Santa Claus police lineup, a murder with a tree topper star, and New Yorkers chasing bad Santa through the streets with torches as if they were villagers in a Universal monster classic. These images, coupled with an astounding ending, make Christmas Evil a joy to watch. It will keep you wondering what was in everybody's egg nog. This is director Lewis Jackson's only film to date, so perhaps the man was exorcizing some yuletide demons of his own. Christmas Evil was a labor of love for him, and it remains his sole cinematic achievement. Christmas Evil is slow in parts; more a character study than a straight ahead slasher flick. This is a bad movie in the classic sense, and you have to see it for what it is to enjoy it.

VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film. (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)
December 20, 2014
More deranged holiday film going! CHRISTMAS EVIL is simply a big mess.
½ December 13, 2014
This Christmas-themed horror film is about a guy who saw his dad totally trying to bang his mom when he was a kid...only his dad was dressed as Santa at the time. Since he has become obsessed with Saint Nick, spying on children to determine whether they are naughty or nice, and even working at a toy factory. But this Christmas he has finally snapped...he gets all dressed up as Kris Kringle and goes on a bizarre spree to hand out toys to kids and murder people that have screwed him. It is a fun oddball Christmas movie if weirdo B-movies are your thing. I think it is more entertaining than something like "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians."
½ December 8, 2014